The Queen of the South thread

Nice way for the club to trial the perennial suggestion that reducing ticket prices would lead to bigger crowds. Comparisons need to be drawn with other Tuesday night matches at full price rather than Saturday games. Tuesday night cup matches will be the best comparator as STs would also be invalid for those.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I think this is fantastic. £5 to see Dobbie and co. With it being against Dundee utd, who are likely to bring a decent following, this could be a relatively big crowd or biggest of the season. I am of course predicting a larger than normal home crowd due to the reduced pricing. 1500 - 2000 home fans along with maybe a 1000 utd fans. 

Stu and any other neutral fans are more than welcome I'm sure. The more the merrier. 

If I make it I can assure you I won't be a neutral that night.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

On a Tuesday night? The total crowd won't be more than 1600.

This.

On a Tuesday in March and with a backlog of fixtures I expect you could offer United fans free tickets and get less than 300 go unless they have closed up on St Mirren by then.

I doubt the crowd will be much different than normal but it would be nice if it was. All the evidence suggest football crowds are relatively inelastic compared to price however.

Nice way for the club to trial the perennial suggestion that reducing ticket prices would lead to bigger crowds. Comparisons need to be drawn with other Tuesday night matches at full price rather than Saturday games. Tuesday night cup matches will be the best comparator as STs would also be invalid for those.

The sad fact is if the club charged £5 for the next 3 games the crowds wouldn't drastically improve, if at all. The Dumfries public aren't interested. The only time that will change is if an Abramovich strolls into town. And even if that did happen, the idea of sharing a section of support with ex Gr£tna fans would give me the boke.

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This.

On a Tuesday in March and with a backlog of fixtures I expect you could offer United fans free tickets and get less than 300 go unless they have closed up on St Mirren by then.

I doubt the crowd will be much different than normal but it would be nice if it was. All the evidence suggest football crowds are relatively inelastic compared to price however.

Any United fans prepared to travel on a Tuesday night probably already travelled to the first game. So it isn’t really the same as charging £5 for a normal league game. They will have paid £16 first time round plus whatever it cost to get there. It is effectively costing them £21 to see the game, plus 2 sets of travelling expenses. I understand the reasons for charging £5 and it isn’t unreasonable. But I don’t think this game could be used to test the theory about how price affects attendance as there will be some (especially away fans) who will factor in the cost of the first game as well as this one when deciding whether to go. If that wasn’t the case, the club could have charged full price for this one without affecting the attendance.

26 minutes ago, Flash said:

Any United fans prepared to travel on a Tuesday night probably already travelled to the first game. So it isn’t really the same as charging £5 for a normal league game. They will have paid £16 first time round plus whatever it cost to get there. It is effectively costing them £21 to see the game, plus 2 sets of travelling expenses. I understand the reasons for charging £5 and it isn’t unreasonable. But I don’t think this game could be used to test the theory about how price affects attendance as there will be some (especially away fans) who will factor in the cost of the first game as well as this one when deciding whether to go. If that wasn’t the case, the club could have charged full price for this one without affecting the attendance.

I agree. I dont think I suggested it would validly test any theory, or at least I didnt intend to though appreciate my last line maybe implied it. I just agreed with the notion there wont be significantly large numbers of away fans make the trip, regardless of price. I am far from convinced it will make much odds to the number of home fans doing so but there is obviously a better chance of that being the case, especially if we get a few wins between now and then and are still in the playoff mix.

7 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I think this is fantastic. £5 to see Dobbie and co. With it being against Dundee utd, who are likely to bring a decent following, this could be a relatively big crowd or biggest of the season. I am of course predicting a larger than normal home crowd due to the reduced pricing. 1500 - 2000 home fans along with maybe a 1000 utd fans. 

Stu and any other neutral fans are more than welcome I'm sure. The more the merrier. 

Might of got carried away but reduced price might tempt those on the fence about it to go and that's both sets of fans. 

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Might of got carried away but reduced price might tempt those on the fence about it to go and that's both sets of fans. 

I think you did a bit.

As others are saying, the midweek setting, the fact it's actually an additional charge for most who will already have paid to see this game, and the fact that neither side is in great form at the moment, should ensure that there is nothing remotely bumper about the crowd.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you did a bit.

As others are saying, the midweek setting, the fact it's actually an additional charge for most who will already have paid to see this game, and the fact that neither side is in great form at the moment, should ensure that there is nothing remotely bumper about the crowd.

Yeah I wasn't really giving a lot of thought to it (not that it needed much) but thinking thousand plus utd fans coming down and not getting back to Dundee till midnight at least wasn't my best train of thought. 

I think its just good for there to be such a cheap pricing for the game.