The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but that's  not what Naysmith is doing.

He has dropped Lyle for no reason from early on in the season - even when he was scoring.

What really gets me is that he doesn't seem to recognise the synergy of those two together or else he does and chooses to ignore it.

Poor management on either count.

Surely maximising this season's performance takes precedence over having a 'dummy run' for next.

Derek Lyle started the Montrose cup replay (and scored) and started the 3-0 home loss to Livingston that followed. He then missed training the following week through illness and was unavailable for the 2-2 draw at Dumbarton when Chris Kane came on as a sub and turned the game. Over the next 5 or 6 weeks Kane showed excellent form and he didn't manage to get his starting place back prior to pulling his calf against Dumbarton on Jan 2nd. He's still feeling that injury and apparently had a set back after coming back on Saturday there. He's not been fit to play a game since Kane's departure and Fergusson has, so far, done very well.

If we spend the second half of the season doing absolutely nothing in front of goal whilst a fit Derek Lyle sits cooling his heels on the bench then you might have a point. At the moment you appear to be complaining that he wasn't being preferred to Kane( who scored 4 in 6 games in that spell) and hasn't been picked whilst injured since!

8 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:

Is the 12 starts and 8 sub appearances right for Lyle?

As it annoyingly doesn’t log all subs on the OS. Owen Bell has been on more than once as an example.

Lyle has started 6 League games and appeared 12 times from the bench, scoring 5 goals. 

Lyle has started 6 Cup games and appeared 3 times from the bench, scoring 3 goals.

Totals: 12 starts, 15 times from bench, 8 goals.

5 minutes ago, NOTS said:

Lyle has started 6 League  games and appeared 12 times from the bench, scoring 5 goals. 

Lyle has started 6 Cup games and appeared 3 times from the bench, scoring 3 goals.

Totals: 12 starts, 15 times from bench, 8 goals.

Apart from Dobbie, Del has the best goals to minutes ratio in the league.

I have not heard anything towards the manager. Heard bit about tapping, Rankin and for Martin for his part in THAT GOAL. Two games is not a lot over course of the season I know but those two games we lost and I heard nothing  untowards to manager. 

No matter how many times I read this I can’t make head or tail of it. DDS is usually so lucid too. Any chance of a translation?

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

No matter how many times I read this I can’t make head or tail of it. DDS is usually so lucid too. Any chance of a translation?

Had to Google lucid

Admittedly I gone back and looked at the conversation and I had the wrong end of the stick. I thought it was another unfair comment towards the manager but it wasn't even about him. 

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Derek Lyle started the Montrose cup replay (and scored) and started the 3-0 home loss to Livingston that followed. He then missed training the following week through illness and was unavailable for the 2-2 draw at Dumbarton when Chris Kane came on as a sub and turned the game. Over the next 5 or 6 weeks Kane showed excellent form and he didn't manage to get his starting place back prior to pulling his calf against Dumbarton on Jan 2nd. He's still feeling that injury and apparently had a set back after coming back on Saturday there. He's not been fit to play a game since Kane's departure and Fergusson has, so far, done very well.

If we spend the second half of the season doing absolutely nothing in front of goal whilst a fit Derek Lyle sits cooling his heels on the bench then you might have a point. At the moment you appear to be complaining that he wasn't being preferred to Kane( who scored 4 in 6 games in that spell) and hasn't been picked whilst injured since!

I know you like to be right all the time and for people to bow to your superior 'inside' knowledge but I have at no time mentioned anything about Kane so you would appear to have got this one wrong.

You have selected a portion of the season which I did not specifically refer to. 

This has been happening throughout the season - and last- from memory.

I know you are a 'facts and figures' man so if you want to do the research and come up with a detailed account of a longer period to prove me wrong, then carry on.

I am certainly under the impression that Lyle has been harshly treated by this Manager when he has been fit and available to play.

There would certainly be outrage if your beloved Dobbie was dropped from the side or didn't return automatically following injury.

I put Derek Lyle in the same category.

11 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

There would certainly be outrage if your beloved Dobbie was dropped from the side or didn't return automatically following injury.

If only you had started with this bit it would have saved me reading the rest.

Dobbie remains an exceptional talent at this level. Lyle still has something to offer, something publically acknowledged by our manager.

The notion that Lyle has been badly treated is IMHO just nonsense. 

A fine  player for us who has rather sadly chosen to bleat to the gutter press about how he has been treated.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

3 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

I know you like to be right all the time and for people to bow to your superior 'inside' knowledge but I have at no time mentioned anything about Kane so you would appear to have got this one wrong.

You have selected a portion of the season which I did not specifically refer to. 

This has been happening throughout the season - and last- from memory.

I know you are a 'facts and figures' man so if you want to do the research and come up with a detailed account of a longer period to prove me wrong, then carry on.

I am certainly under the impression that Lyle has been harshly treated by this Manager when he has been fit and available to play.

Give it up please & get behind the manager and the squad,  l Am almost  sure Del knew when he signed for his testimonial year he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter every week and that would have been made clear when he signed.

4 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Lyle could get his leg amputated and 'Nithsdale Wanderer' would still be writing a dissertation about why Naysmith should be playing him.

To be fair, if it was a question of him or Dykes playing up front, I'd probably want to know which leg had been amputated before expressing a preference.

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Give it up please & get behind the manager and the squad,  l Am almost  sure Del knew when he signed for his testimonial year he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter every week and that would have been made clear when he signed.

Always supportive of the team but will never take to this Manager and his methods, sooner he is gone the better as far as I am concerned.

Your second sentence is quite accurate as Naysmith said as much in an interview at the beginning of the season.

A Manager's job is to pick the best players available and I don't  think he has been doing that - not just with Lyle, by the way.

The mindset of  Naysmith - which seems to be '  Del's in his last season so he's not up to it anymore'  - has it seems spread to supporters too.

Can someone identify the point at which having been 'on fire' with Dobbie last season  and the beginning of this one that Lyle suddenly became a passenger and was relegated to the bench for no obvious reason ?

As previously stated, I could understand it if he was lazy, unfit, slow and not contributing to the team but that's not what I see from him, do you ?

I’m with NW on the Del debate. When he plays he seems so much more dangerous than (for example Dykes) and I’d be happy to see more of him on the pitch. Having said that if we end up with a better striker so be it. But I hope we see a few more goals from the Tan man before the end of the season

21 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

I’m with NW on the Del debate. When he plays he seems so much more dangerous than (for example Dykes) and I’d be happy to see more of him on the pitch. Having said that if we end up with a better striker so be it. But I hope we see a few more goals from the Tan man before the end of the season

Two things have kept Del out of the team of late.  Injury is one and thus he couldn`t have played anyway. While he was out Kane was doing a great job and totally deserved to start.  Once Del is fit, though it would appear he is injured agin, he has every chance to feature.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Two things have kept Del out of the team of late.  Injury is one and thus he couldn`t have played anyway. While he was out Kane was doing agreat job and totally deserved to start.  Once Del is fit, though it would appear he is injured agin, he has every chance to feature.

I guess I’m going with the times when he’s been warming the bench and done more when he came on in last 10 mins than what wet on in the previous 80. I feel his frustration sometimes.

Just now, steakpiegravy said:

I guess I’m going with the times when he’s been warming the bench and done more when he came on in last 10 mins than what wet on in the previous 80. I feel his frustration sometimes.

Totally accept his frustration.  Totally don`t get his need to run to the gutter press to undermine Naysmith.  Really poor from a guy who has been a great servant to us  but should respect how good we have been for him.