The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Having watched  Queens for forty odd years optimism does not come easy. Huge plus today was Dobbie signing a contract extension.  Sadly the outlook is not favourable unless we make signings who are capable of making a significant impact. Realise we have players out injured and money remains tight, consequently we are very  much on the periphery of the play offs.  Attendances have dropped and less income restricts our ability to recruit better players. Falkirk regularly get 4k plus and the Pars last two crowds have exceeded 7k so I guess the question I am asking is maybe, just maybe we are almost over achieving. Thank fuq Brechin are in our league. Don't worry I shall forever keep the faith. Mon the South.

Sounds very similar to ourselves (morton) in terms of falling attendances impacting on player budget.  Feels like we are on a downward slope just now.

11 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

We're 10 points from safety but 3 points from play off but some people think there's more chance of us finishing 8th/9th than 4th/5th or even 6th.

Am afraid Lots of fans glasses are half empty rather than half full.. I would rather look up the table than down.

5 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

We're 10 points from safety but 3 points from play off but some people think there's more chance of us finishing 8th/9th than 4th/5th or even 6th.

I personally think we will finish 6th/7th, but taking into account we are losing two good loan players,  struggling at present with injury/illness to another 3 or 4 players,  relying more at this time on young/inexperienced players, and teams like Falkirk and ICT are showing flickering signs of improvement,  I'm not really surprised that some fans are looking on the downside.  A Cup  game V Partick Thistle would be hard enough with a fully fit squad so the possibility of losing potential money from a cup run to bring in new players is looking more likely.  The Manager has a bit of work to do during this transfer window,  although his hands may be tied financially regarding bringing in suitable recruits. 

1 hour ago, QoS_1919 said:

Where we are in the table is based on past performance. The points accumulated cover the period when Marshall, Jacobs, McFadden, Tapping, Kerr, Kane, Stirling and Lyle were available for most of it. Looking forward, these players will not be available for periods that are not yet known, although certain of them will be unavailable permanently. So far, we have brought two players in. So, people are looking down the way until the uncertainty regarding the players coming in is removed.

If the situation changes, and we bring in some decent players, then our position in the league may be roughly the same. If we don’t, and we rely on U20s, then it is entirely likely that we will drop down the league. I don’t think there is anything particularly unusual or unacceptable about people having concerns at the moment, especially follwing Naysmith’s interview with Sandra “Obviously” Broon where he didn’t mention the possibility of more players joining this week or at all.

Where we are in the table is based on past performance. The points accumulated cover the period when Marshall, Jacobs, McFadden, Tapping, Kerr, Kane, Stirling and Lyle were available for most of it. Looking forward, these players will not be available for periods that are not yet known, although certain of them will be unavailable permanently. So far, we have brought two players in. So, people are looking down the way until the uncertainty regarding the players coming in is removed.
If the situation changes, and we bring in some decent players, then our position in the league may be roughly the same. If we don’t, and we rely on U20s, then it is entirely likely that we will drop down the league. I don’t think there is anything particularly unusual or unacceptable about people having concerns at the moment, especially follwing Naysmith’s interview with Sandra “Obviously” Broon where he didn’t mention the possibility of more players joining this week or at all.

I get that but we won't be in the bottom 2 and it doesnt change the fact we're 3 points from the play off which psychological helps and hopefully has the players pushing harder. Not so long ago fans were crying out for youth players to get a chance, so why not now? We obviously do need a couple of players in but I'd still like to see local boys given a chance.

14 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I get that but we won't be in the bottom 2 and it doesnt change the fact we're 3 points from the play off which psychological helps and hopefully has the players pushing harder. Not so long ago fans were crying out for youth players to get a chance, so why not now? We obviously do need a couple of players in but I'd still like to see local boys given a chance.

10 points isn’t that much over 15 games, given that the gap can be eliminated in 4 games. It may be unlikely but it is far from impossible. Falkirk’s points total covers the period when they were poor and they have improved and, unless something changes, we are going the opposite way.

Can’t remember anybody suggesting that any of the U20s who haven’t featured should be playing. I suppose most fans don’t know how good they are, but the feeling is that if they haven’t featured up to now, they can’t have been as good as the players who were picked ahead of them. And if they aren’t as good, we will get proportionately less points in the remainder of the season.

Are you confident of that? I'm sure as hell not. Falkirk will have the funds to bring players in (they already are), Caley are now improving and will likely finish above us. 10 points isn't a massive gap at this stage and with a competent manager in charge I expect Falkirk to start climbing the table.

Look at yesterday's squad minus Kerr and Kane and that's what we have. Unless GN pulls something magical out the bag in this window the only playoffs we'll be near are the relegation ones.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Are you confident of that? I'm sure as hell not. Falkirk will have the funds to bring players in (they already are), Caley are now improving and will likely finish above us. 10 points isn't a massive gap at this stage and with a competent manager in charge I expect Falkirk to start climbing the table.

Look at yesterday's squad minus Kerr and Kane and that's what we have. Unless GN pulls something magical out the bag in this window the only playoffs we'll be near are the relegation ones.

I think it's quite likely that Falkirk will get above us and I'm sure ICT will.

Our best bet is probably Dumbarton.  I'm guessing we've already done enough, but it's by no means certain.

I think it's quite likely that Falkirk will get above us and I'm sure ICT will.
Our best bet is probably Dumbarton.  I'm guessing we've already done enough, but it's by no means certain.

I'd say it's between ourselves and Dumbarton for 9th. I've not really taken much notice of Morton so perhaps them as well. I'm certainly not confident enough to dismiss a 9th place finish as a real possibility though.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd say it's between ourselves and Dumbarton for 9th. I've not really taken much notice of Morton so perhaps them as well. I'm certainly not confident enough to dismiss a 9th place finish as a real possibility though.

Yes, that's how I see it too, certainly if we really are unable to bring players in.

I wonder if our millionaire Chairman could help out ....?

We will probably need to wait till nearer the end of the window when it will become more clear which loan players are available. It may even be that Kerr and Kane return if they don't get in the St Johnstone team. They can still come on an emergency loan outwith the window. Ive noticed alot of the premier clubs like Hearts and Hibs have recalled their players for assessment. Guys like Callumn Morrison at Hearts they want challenged at a higher level so they can get a picture as to whether they will have a future at the club

42 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

James Mcfadden has agreed to sign a deal for North Carolina FC in the North America Soccer League.

Best of luck to him in his venture abroad.

Edited by NOTS

New players are can be difficult to fit in immediately. They can either hit the ground running striker scores a goal on debut, defender keeps clean sheet, midfielder creates which creates confidence or can go the other way where they take time or never truly settle in. Same would go for the young boys Bell's confidence at the moment will be great and he will believe everything he hits or heads may result in a goal. Play a youngster or two win a couple of games then they could be in the team for the rest of the season. Take Marshall as an example - came young started well and now a fixture

Have watched a few under 20 games don't see anyone who could step up .

It is a massive jump to go from under 20 football and play in the Championship.

The loan market is all that we can look at.

Does it have to be young players on loan can we not get experience in .

Really going to be a difficult if we don't add to the squad if ever there was a need for a emergency loan now is the time

New players are can be difficult to fit in immediately. They can either hit the ground running striker scores a goal on debut, defender keeps clean sheet, midfielder creates which creates confidence or can go the other way where they take time or never truly settle in. Same would go for the young boys Bell's confidence at the moment will be great and he will believe everything he hits or heads may result in a goal. Play a youngster or two win a couple of games then they could be in the team for the rest of the season. Take Marshall as an example - came young started well and now a fixture

I think Bell is overdue his chance in midfield especially when you think how many opportunities Connor Murray is getting.GN obviously rates Murray higher and that is fine but he isn't really justifying that faith especially when you consider the amount of game time he has had.

Don't get me wrong I am certainly not writing off Murray by any means but invariably young players complain that they get very limited opportunity and are overlooked in favour of more seasoned Pros - I think GN is entitled to expect a bit more.