The Queen of the South thread

I think the clarification from the manager is a well thought out and clear response. So it boils down to whether or not you agree with his thoughts. For me, if he’s told Del he’s a squad player, that’s effectively worse than saying he wont get a regular start, it’s saying he’s not even guaranteed a place on the bench (notwithstanding our very tight squad numbers). Unless he’s got a huge rabbit to pull out of the hat in terms of a striker signing, with Kane leaving I really can’t see how he can justify that description.

1 hour ago, steakpiegravy said:

I think the clarification from the manager is a well thought out and clear response. So it boils down to whether or not you agree with his thoughts. For me, if he’s told Del he’s a squad player, that’s effectively worse than saying he wont get a regular start, it’s saying he’s not even guaranteed a place on the bench (notwithstanding our very tight squad numbers). Unless he’s got a huge rabbit to pull out of the hat in terms of a striker signing, with Kane leaving I really can’t see how he can justify that description.

Given our current squad and in particular the imminent return of Kane to StJ if Lyle is fit he`ll be on the bench at least. Naysmith isn`t even saying Lyle won`t start, just that he isn`t guaranteed a regular start.

From memory we`ve had at least one bench recently where we didn`t even have 7 people on it.

On Saturday we had a group of youngsters plus Stirling who if some reports are to be believed is in the huff.

As others have said possibly time to move re what is largely a non-story.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Look at the response a non story has had amongst Queens supporters. A player talks to the press and they spin a story out of it to fill a column. It happens every day to the bigger team and then it then starts to form public opinion and debate.

Who has confirmed Kane won't be back? I maybe be wrong but from the player point of view he came to us for 6 months which expires soon so he will return. That's the current deal. I'm sure we talking to saints with regards a extension  but surely we don't want to confirm this to anyone until it is a done deal. It's up to Queens to make an offer (along with other teams) then for Saints manager and board to sit down, consider options and the make a decision. saints won't be in a hurry to decide until after saturday

8 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Look at the response a non story has had amongst Queens supporters. A player talks to the press and they spin a story out of it to fill a column. It happens every day to the bigger team and then it then starts to form public opinion and debate.

Who has confirmed Kane won't be back? I maybe be wrong but from the player point of view he came to us for 6 months which expires soon so he will return. That's the current deal. I'm sure we talking to saints with regards a extension  but surely we don't want to confirm this to anyone until it is a done deal. It's up to Queens to make an offer (along with other teams) then for Saints manager and board to sit down, consider options and the make a decision. saints won't be in a hurry to decide until after saturday

It's confirmed here, both Kerr and Kane will be returning to St Johnstone.

11 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Gary Naysmith has confirmed both Kane and Kerr will be returning to St Johnstone to fight for a place in there team after holding talks with St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright.

Huge blow to lose both Kane and Kerr .

This is now a huge turning point in our season do we sign 2 replacements or just go with what we have backed up with our under 20 team.

The Lyle story I am disappointed he went to the press  .

Naysmith has done nothing wrong here all he has said to Lyle is that he won't play every week it Lyle wants that then he will have go elsewhere.

The article was all on the record quotes from Lyle weren’t they? (1 click on that dross was 1 too many as it is) . Lyle despite his past seems to have had a good relationship with the press and a man of his experience would surely know what he was saying would get portrayed as it did.

Regardless of who said what and the Sun being cretins, It’s not a good look for anyone involved.

This has played out weirdly on here over the last couple of days.

The quotes from Lyle and Naysmith are a long way apart, yet it's easy to see that they might have emerged from the same conversation.

I'm no great fan of Naysmith, but the Lyle bleating here is the less impressive.  Great Queens player though he's been, there's also been evidence that he might be a bit of a tool.  Perhaps, this adds to it a bit.

I'm keen for him to stay though.

Gary Naysmith and Tommy Wright both saying Jason Kerr is the best centre back in the Championship. True, debatable, exaggeration? Looking forward to seeing him back at Saints in any case and the opportunity will be there for him in an underperforming defence I suspect.

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

Gary Naysmith and Tommy Wright both saying Jason Kerr is the best centre back in the Championship. True, debatable, exaggeration? Looking forward to seeing him back at Saints in any case and the opportunity will be there for him in an underperforming defence I suspect.

It's certainly a view some of our fans share.  Personally I don't think he was even the best centre back at the club, for me that is Calum Fordyce.  I'd struggle to separate Jason Kerr and Darren Brownlie based on what I have seen, and Brownlie is a regular target of our boo-boys.

Whilst Kerr clearly has a bright future, I'm not convinced he is ready to start games in the top league.  Then again I'm not exactly sure what standard is required for that.  The best comparison I could make would be with Mark Durnan who was one of the better centre halves to have played with us and in my opinion far better than Kerr.  He struggled in the Premiership with Dundee United.

20 minutes ago, Radford said:

Naysmith is quoted as saying Kerr is as good as anyone in the Championship in his position.

I don`t see all our games but I`ve largely been impressed by Kerr. He`s still young and learning his trade but certainly has great potential IMHO. Decent goal threat too.

The fake saints could be dragged into a relegation battle their manager will want every option avaiable to him hence the return of the two players. We want to put out John Sutton on loan who is a handful for defences, holds the ball up well and good with headers. Not the quickest but by no means slow come and get him. John knocked back going to Raith but think he would go to you. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I've only seen him 3 times in the flesh and I've thought he's looked superb. Yes, susceptible to lapses in concentration and sometimes with the over-enthusiasm of youth but he is one of those youngsters for whom the game looks easy,  great timing and strength - no flaws that can't be rectified by experience. Very reminiscent of Jamie Adams when he came to us pre his horrific run of injuries.

Edited by TeeMan

2 hours ago, Radford said:

He isnt far away to be fair. He'd be up there. Livi have some good big strong centre halves, notably Halkett. 

Kerr is strong, good in the air, reasonably quick, a goal threat in the other box and comfortable on the ball. Occasionally gambles a wee bit too much. Gavin Reilly gave him a fairly torrid time when we played St Mirren recently but he has coped with everyone else fine.

He is remarkably good for his age. If he avoids serious injury and continues developing he will play for Scotland.