The Queen of the South thread

I sincerely hope Dobbie signs next season as he's about the only thing dragging me along to Palmerston just now.

This is the part I’m worried about. He was quoted previously saying he wanted a new deal signed before the new year. I dread to think that the club shafting Lyle, his mate, would have an adverse affect on his decision to re-sign. I like to think I’m overthinking this, but I’m worried.

7 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I know and im glad he is but some people on this think he should have stayed and maybe play centre mid.

I realise that also.  Faddy went from appearing as a sub to playing so well in centre mid down in Oswestry vs. New Saints to then getting another few subs appearances and then not featuring at all.       

Edited by NOTS

Lyle will be one of the highest earners at the club and has barely kicked a ball for months.  Looking at it from an entirely financial point of view it makes sense to get him off the wage bill.

There are far greater considerations than just finance though when it comes to a decision like this.  With the relationship between club and fans at as low a point as I can recall in my time as a supporter, this move seems fairly suicidal.

They say there is no time for sentiment in football, and life isn't a Hollywood movie where everyone gets the happy ending they deserve.  However all we would have to do is allow Lyle to see out the remaining 6 months of his contract to give him the send off he more than deserves.  It doesn't seem like too much to ask.

All of the above is based off the assumption that Lyle isn't up to the job anymore.  Something I don't agree with anyway.

This could really turn out to be a decision the board don't recover from.

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

This is the part I’m worried about. He was quoted previously saying he wanted a new deal signed before the new year. I dread to think that the club shafting Lyle, his mate, would have an adverse affect on his decision to re-sign. I like to think I’m overthinking this, but I’m worried.

Dobbie and Lyle both leaving would be a monumental catastrophe for the club.

On reading the Sun article it looks like Lyle approached Naysmith to ask why he was wasnt getting more game time and was informed he could leave if he wanted.

With Kane going back to Perth you would reckon Lyle would get more game time for the rest of the season. 

If we are being brutally honest here Lyle's impact off the bench in the last 2-3 months has been minimal. Difficult decisions have to be made in football and everyone no matter how good they were has their end point in football. Im not sure had he been starting games he would have had more rhythm as its difficult being an impact sub but from a pure playing point of view if he wasn't such a legend Im sure others would agree hes been disappointing these last few months. Hope Stirling hasn't been told hes free to leave. Hes always a bright spark in the team and is a victim of Naysmiths constant chopping and changing policy. He must have looked at his teammates on the bench on saturday and wondered how it came to this! Hes infinitely better than Dykes or Murray.

Why Dykes continues to play every minute of every match is beyond me?

At the last home game last midweek I was watching him in action and syaing to folk around me that he was better off playing for Geelong at Aussie Rules.

Lyle and Stirling must surely be wondering why they arent starting and they've obviously vented there frustration towards Naysmith.     

Looks like we're trying to offload all the players who don't feature much, if at all. Which makes sense but in Lyles case he's a massive part of the club and telling him to find a new club would leave a sour taste in the queens fans mouths.
If Dobbie doesn't sign a contract extension then I think it'll be down to the club and not him. For me that'll prove that there's alot not right behind the scenes. We seem to be moving backwards rather than forwards, I always tend to think about the season when we had Gav, Holty etc and were beating the likes of rangers and hibs and what could have been if we pushed the boat out and managed to keep the squad together AND had Dobbie playing with that squad of players.

7 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Looks like we're trying to offload all the players who don't feature much, if at all. Which makes sense but in Lyles case he's a massive part of the club and telling him to find a new club would leave a sour taste in the queens fans mouths.
If Dobbie doesn't sign a contract extension then I think it'll be down to the club and not him. For me that'll prove that there's alot not right behind the scenes. We seem to be moving backwards rather than forwards, I always tend to think about the season when we had Gav, Holty etc and were beating the likes of rangers and hibs and what could have been if we pushed the boat out and managed to keep the squad together AND had Dobbie playing with that squad of players.

Remember just before Naysmith arrived there was great ruptures behind the scenes at Palmerston when a certain Gavin Skelton departed Dumfries?  

Edited by NOTS

Absolutely shocking decision regarding Lyle. Looks like it's the manager who's made the decision. Anyone want to make a list of all the senior players he's frozen out since joining us. Don't know the stats but is Lyle not still one if our top scorers this year despite never getting a game. A legend  with the fans and a hall of famer given the boot in his testimonial year.  Think Saturday needs a 90 minute rendition of "One Derek Lyle"

I would if we were to lose Kane and Lyle, Dobbie up front himself with a ball player behind him. Not McFadden though.
For me, say McFadden was in the middle with Thomson and the other team were on the break then we'd be left with a hole and McFadden 20 odd yards away from play. He'd make as many tackles in a season as Rankin would make in half an hour.

[emoji38] You know how football works, right? A creative midfielder will have to put in a tackle or two but it's not exactly high on the requirements list. I can't recall Stevie Tosh and John O'Neill putting in tackle after tackle.

Counter-attacking is part of the game. If you didn't want your midfield near the opposition box when this happens then you're expecting a lot from your strikers. I doubt they'd be "left with a hole" as the holding midfielder would be there along with the majority of the backline.

I know and im glad he is but some people on this think he should have stayed and maybe play centre mid.

You've made that up m8. I don't think anyone has suggested they wanted him to stay.

If we are being brutally honest here Lyle's impact off the bench in the last 2-3 months has been minimal. Difficult decisions have to be made in football and everyone no matter how good they were has their end point in football. Im not sure had he been starting games he would have had more rhythm as its difficult being an impact sub but from a pure playing point of view if he wasn't such a legend Im sure others would agree hes been disappointing these last few months. Hope Stirling hasn't been told hes free to leave. Hes always a bright spark in the team and is a victim of Naysmiths constant chopping and changing policy. He must have looked at his teammates on the bench on saturday and wondered how it came to this! Hes infinitely better than Dykes or Murray.

I'd have to disagree on his performances tbh. He's hardly featured, yet is still our 2md highest league goalscorer. I find it another incredible decision that our 2nd highest goal threat has been told to find another club. Played almost half the time than a few of the league's top scorers and yet is still up there.

I'm not meaning this as a pop as it's an obvious fact: Dykes is nowhere near the same goal threat as Lyle.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2072929/queen-of-the-south-derek-lyle-gutted/

Story here. Given that it has direct quotes from Lyle, it would seem true to me.

A surefire way for Naysmith to turn the support against him. Del definitely still has something to offer us.

Part-time football coming to us soon as the already small loyal support drop off even more. Does no one on the board realise the implications of something like this.

Del moving to another club(Morton, Livi, Dumbarton ,etc) in this league for the remainder of the season could be very damaging to our play-off aspirations. That's assuming the club still have them!

As for the up and coming dinners, well what an absolute PR disaster. 

This is one monumental f**k up, that I just can’t seem to get my head around.

Derek Lyle, a fans favourite, the clubs 3rd all time leading goal scorer and most successful player in the clubs history. Yet, he’s being shown the door 4 months before he retires and in his testimonial year.

12 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Absolutely shocking decision regarding Lyle. Looks like it's the manager who's made the decision. Anyone want to make a list of all the senior players he's frozen out since joining us. Don't know the stats but is Lyle not still one if our top scorers this year despite never getting a game. A legend  with the fans and a hall of famer given the boot in his testimonial year.  Think Saturday needs a 90 minute rendition of "One Derek Lyle"

Lyle has started 6 league games this season and has got on as a sub 11 times, scoring 5  league goals.

Lyle has started 2 Challenge Cup games and has got on as a sub once, scoring 2 goals.

Lyle has started 2 League Cup games and has got on as a sub twice, scoring no goals.

Lyle has started 2 Scottish Cup games with no sub appearances, scoring 1 goal. 

This is one monumental f**k up, that I just can’t seem to get my head around.

Derek Lyle, a fans favourite, the clubs 3rd all time leading goal scorer and most successful player in the clubs history. Yet, he’s being shown the door 4 months before he retires and in his testimonial year.

Can you please stop pointing out these facts and making more valid points. My blood boils the more I think about it.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Good question. My theory is because there is zero belief even amongst the diehards that we will get promoted. So the season is just about trying to finish 4th for the prize money and trying to get a run in the Cup, again for the money. 

The non-diehards recognised this long ago. There are less and less people prepared to go to a game just to see their team. It has to mean something. And no matter how (relatively) well we do, nobody actually believes it will end with a prize.  So, watching the ball being lumped up the park might hold some attraction if it looked like it might lead to something. But it won’t, so only those who feel compelled to go are prepared to sit through it. And even if we were playing great football, all the time, folk still wouldn’t go because we’re never going to win anything. If they just want to watch a game, there are any number available on tv. More and more people need a reason to go to games, whereas previously a bigger number needed a very good reason not to go.

Of course, it all becomes self-fulfilling because as crowds drop, the chances of success are diminished. Unless you have a wealthy benefactor, or you have a terrific youth system, it is extremely difficult to compete with clubs who have a much bigger fanbase. Stuff like a plastic pitch and “The Arena” are all very well, but it is doubtful whether the profit from those can plug the gap. We’re trying to win promotion on a shoestring, but nobody seriously believes it will happen.

Anyway, just a theory.

I think this is a good theory.  Even many of the so called hardcore fans will pick and choose the games they attend these days. Football in Scotland is on a slow gradual decline.  People are also not stupid and see that the stadium at Palmerston is in a slow decline and looking more 'tired' every year and there doesn't appear to be the money or viable plan in place to redevelop it or improve it further. I'm not criticising the Chairman or the Board either, it's a really tough gig running a football club in the Scottish Championship with our income and potential.