The Queen of the South thread

Can’t criticise Rankin after today’s game, he was decent. Probably a game that suited him but none the less.

Down to bare bones, but what an excellent team effort and 3 points. Go into next week a bit more confident with hopefully a few more players back in the mix.

Far more misses than hits from Rankin for me tbh.

Behind the strikers then maybe. But as a CM then no.
I was being a tad vague however I wasn't exactly meaning a box to box type player. I was meaning Someone who could dictate our passing and take a shot on or be another option at the set piece. Someone who would be an asset when we have possession but might be a liability if not.

I'm not exactly selling it here am I but I think he would give the club something that maybe others could not give.

5 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I was being a tad vague however I wasn't exactly meaning a box to box type player. I was meaning Someone who could dictate our passing and take a shot on or be another option at the set piece. Someone who would be an asset when we have possession but might be a liability if not.

I'm not exactly selling it here am I but I think he would give the club something that maybe others could not give.

Fair point and I do agree he would give us something others can't, but only behind the striker.  But even at that, for me I'd rather have someone with less football ability than him but can last more than an hour and chase everything rather than stand watching. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm not sure he'd have done any worse than Rankin. It would have been worth a shot. It wasn't as crazy a suggestion as you made out though.

With the we play I'd much rather have Rankin in there to chase and win the ball rather than someone who'll watch from 20 yards away. 

Fair point and I do agree he would give us something others can't, but only behind the striker.  But even at that, for me I'd rather have someone with less football ability than him but can last more than an hour and chase everything rather than stand watching. 

With the we play I'd much rather have Rankin in there to chase and win the ball rather than someone who'll watch from 20 yards away. 

A chaser rather than someone with ability? So a Stewart Kean over a Stephen Dobbie? ;)

Rankin doesn't exactly do what you're suggesting he does. I've seen him close down the opposition on occasion but certainly not on a regular basis throughout the game. With Thomson and Jacobs to come back we have two players who do that side of the work anyway so could have afforded a player who does less running in beside them and I'd say McFadden's ability to dictate play and find a good pass is far higher than Rankin's.

Nowhere near our top priority when we already have Dobbie and Lyle. Having said that if he was willing to take a pay per play deal I would take him back and he would be a good option in the event of a Dobbie injury.

Alright, alright.  I'll provide another update on the Lochfield Road sign, if it'll shut you all up.

Yesterday, it read "Next home match:  Saturday 27th January - Brechin City".   I could've sworn we've got a Cup game before then.

Seriously, how difficult is this?  I think that having such a sign is a good idea, but if it's often containing misleading information, then it's literally worse than useless.

I know I'm being a tedious dick on this subject (and perhaps a few others) but it surely shouldn't be this hard to get right.

3 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

I must have dreamt the 120 minutes he lasted at TNS and was still full of running and beating players late on. 

As broony88 said he can last the 120 mins. He wouldn't fit every game plan but I would like to of seen him up against a team like Dumbarton where a key pass could unlock a stubborn defence like theirs. McFadden is far more likely to find it than Rankin or tapping. Anyway that's just my thoughts

Nowhere near our top priority when we already have Dobbie and Lyle. Having said that if he was willing to take a pay per play deal I would take him back and he would be a good option in the event of a Dobbie injury.
That's the option I would hope he would take. Because he still appears as a pundit from time to time and he must get a decent fee for that. He wants to play football. I think my other view on it is and it's probably clouding my judgement but he is a Scotland legend and he was at queen of the south. It didn't increase crowds that I know of or anything like that but it was just good that someone like him and Dobbie play for the club.

6 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:
9 hours ago, QoS_1919 said:

As broony88 said he can last the 120 mins. He wouldn't fit every game plan but I would like to of seen him up against a team like Dumbarton where a key pass could unlock a stubborn defence like theirs. McFadden is far more likely to find it than Rankin or tapping. Anyway that's just my thoughts

100% agree. The one thing we lack massively in this squad is someone who will put their foot on the ball slow the game down and find a pass. Yesterday the the last 20/30 minutes were absolutely torture. Any time one of our players got a foot on the ball 90% of the time we just kicked it back to Livi defenders.  I'm not saying McFadden was the man for the job but he would have been worth a try. I think he would have been worth keeping til May as the squad looks at least 3/4 short of making the play offs. 

Edited by Broony88

What I would say re the rankin debate is that he really is an important player for us in there his organisation is superb at times and was badly missed in the TNS game.
Faddy is just unlucky we have dobbie as a think it might have worked out a squad this small can't afford 2 luxury players.
What about Stirling what has he done that he can't get on any time I see him he looks OK yet he's getting a very raw deal imo

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Alright, alright.  I'll provide another update on the Lochfield Road sign, if it'll shut you all up.

Yesterday, it read "Next home match:  Saturday 27th January - Brechin City".   I could've sworn we've got a Cup game before then.

Seriously, how difficult is this?  I think that having such a sign is a good idea, but if it's often containing misleading information, then it's literally worse than useless.

I know I'm being a tedious dick on this subject (and perhaps a few others) but it surely shouldn't be this hard to get right.

I share your pain.

100% agree. The one thing we lack massively in this squad is someone who will put their foot on the ball slow the game down and find a pass. Yesterday the the last 20/30 minutes was absolutely torture. Any time one of our players got a foot on the ball 90% of the time we just kicked it back to Livi defenders.  I'm not saying McFadden was the man for the job but he would have been worth a try. I think he would have been worth keeping til May as the squad looks at least 3/4 short of making the play offs. 

I think it’s some of the reason why we won’t don’t dictate games at home as much. Away from home the team we have seems to perform well as we set up to counter which works well for us. But at home when we maybe have more of the ball we’re not using it well enough. I don’t think faddy is the answer tbh, he did okay but nah. We really do need something in there but can’t see it with Thomson coming back, obviously tapping leaving has left us short but I can’t see us signing another centre mid this season.

Anyone notice Andy Stirling not warming up yesterday at half time? And his half arsed attempt in second half? Hit me as though someone could be away.

Hard game this weekend, but after grit and determination of yesterday. We can go there a bit more confident, hopefully have couple of players back or some new ones in, certainly Beerman hopefully will be in squad.

There is no excuse whatsoever for this happening unsure of the wording is it next match or next league match even if it's the latter change it to Cup lol

Just been talking to a Rangers fan who thinks Beerman is a great signing for us.  Although all the back 4 performed creditably yesterday. It will be good to have cover, if any defenders had got injured yesterday, not sure what the plan was.

On 07/01/2018 at 18:59, gogs said:

There is no excuse whatsoever for this happening unsure of the wording is it next match or next league match even if it's the latter change it to Cup lol

It merely says "Next home match". 

Edited by Monkey Tennis