The Queen of the South thread

We paid £10k for Mercer so what does that do for Dobbie's valuation?!

That is an excellent point - I am still trying to get my head round that particular piece of business. On that basis alone Dobbie is definitely worth more than 10k despite his age profile.

1 hour ago, Weewull said:

Dobbs came to Palmerston because of his buddy jt

That's a good point.

I don't think things, in many respects, have turned out the way he thought they might.

I would not have any problem whatsoever if he wanted to, and did, move on.  He is clearly capable of playing for a bigger Club and probably deserves the opportunity to do so before retiring.

Although it was only Brechin, yesterday proved that we are not solely reliant on Dobbie - as so many seem to think -  and that we can manage without him. 

Indeed, we did just that a year ago when we qualified from a more difficult League Cup group with some decent performances.

Of course, this is just wild speculation at present but it is the time of year when 'mystery injurues' occur.

13 hours ago, Come on queens said:

If Alan Martin is out for a game or two, hopefully the manager will stick with Jack and give him a chance to see what he can do.

Big, big decision for the Manager now.

I am not criticising the lad, but everyone could see he was uncomfortable yesterday and not ready for this level yet.  This impacted on the defence as it was clear they did not want to play it back to him unless absolutely necessary and therefore the options for them were limited.

We have an experienced goalie on the books, who is still being paid, so it really is a no-brainer what should happen next if Martin continues to be absent.

This decision will prove whether Naysmith is up to the job or not.

Will he swallow his pride for the good of the team ?

Will he put aside his petty attitude toward certain players or will he continue his mis-man management policy ?

To either bring someone in on loan or throw Leighfield to the lions in the den of Tannadice would be a complete dereliction of duty when, I assume, Robinson is fit and available.

Indeed, yesterday just re-inforces the folly of his decision making thus far by completely sidelining Robinson.

2 hours ago, Weewull said:

Dobbs came to Palmerston because of his buddy jt

it is quite feasible he will want to move on after the way his pal jt was treated

or it`s quite possible he`ll realise that stuff happens in life and will take a mature view and get on with playing for the club as per his contract.

I find it genuinely incredible that young Leighfield is being questioned on here. As far as I can remember he had nothing to deal with barring a cross and the goal. The cross he dealt with (even though there was a foul) and the goal he had no chance with.

His first involvement was a tricky situation as the ball was outside the box but it looked as if Brownlie left him to deal with it. His header was safely given to Rooney. The only incident I remember was him missing the ball and letting it go for a corner but you could argue that it wasn't exactly a cushioned header back by Marshall. His kicking was mostly excellent and he was vocal throughout.

If Martin is out I'd want Robinson in next week but I think it's a bit harsh what's been said off Leighfield.

Guest Flash

If Naysmith has told Robinson to find another club and has put Leighfield ahead of him, something pretty serious must have happened. It can't just be because he doesn't think Robinson is very good. Even if it is, he has made his choice and he should stick with it. I will have far more respect for him if he does this than if he wilts at the first sign of trouble. Also sends out the wrong message to the rest of the players if he changes his mind. If he wants Leighfield to gain a bit more experience around the first team squad before relying on him completely, he should bring in another keeper on loan. Whatever Robinson has done, even if he has only been perceived by Naysmith to have done it, he should be history and considered to be unavailable for selection.

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

that it wasn't exactly a cushioned header back by Marshall. His kicking was mostly excellent and he was vocal throughout.

Your historical dislike of Marshall is well documented so it is no surprise that you seek to apportion blame to him.

Any competent 'keeper would have dealt with that comfortably, not that I am saying Leighfield is incompetent.

Not sure what you mean by " being questioned".

What I am pointing out is that he came across as really nervous and uncomfortable yesterday which is quite understandable and not something he should be vilified for.

His experience yesterday will help him but I would still say he is not ready yet for this level.

Your historical dislike of Marshall is well documented so it is no surprise that you seek to apportion blame to him.
Any competent 'keeper would have dealt with that comfortably, not that I am saying Leighfield is incompetent.
What I am pointing out is that he came across as really nervous and uncomfortable yesterday which is quite understandable and not something he should be vilified for.
His experience yesterday will help him but I would still say he is not ready yet for this level.

Incredible eh that a young gk comes across as nervous on his debut...

I stand behind the goals, maybe you do too, you couldn't blame one or the other for the corner conceded, both were at fault... move on tho it came to no harm.

If Naysmith is a man of his word then young Leighfield will be in goals at Tannadice if the no1 is not available. Personally I feel that's the way it should be. We need to free up the wage that Robinson is commanding and this will only emphasise the fact he is not in the plans.

43 minutes ago, Flash said:

If Naysmith has told Robinson to find another club and has put Leighfield ahead of him, something pretty serious must have happened. It can't just be because he doesn't think Robinson is very good. Even if it is, he has made his choice and he should stick with it. I will have far more respect for him if he does this than if he wilts at the first sign of trouble. Also sends out the wrong message to the rest of the players if he changes his mind. If he wants Leighfield to gain a bit more experience around the first team squad before relying on him completely, he should bring in another keeper on loan. Whatever Robinson has done, even if he has only been perceived by Naysmith to have done it, he should be history and considered to be unavailable for selection.

What on earth is it you think he may have done ?

I would guess absolutely nothing..

It is quite clear with Naysmith that if your face doesn't fit, you've had it. Just ask Higgins, Dowie and Hamill.

To bring another 'keeper in on loan, when we are already paying an experienced one would be ludicrous.

If he was even thinking about that then the Chairman should step in and put him right.

1 minute ago, NorthSouth said:

We need to free up the wage that Robinson is commanding and this will only emphasise the fact he is not in the plans.

I think it is clear that he is not in the plans but an unexpected, emergency situation has arisen.

The point I am making - and you don't seem to get - is that if you have an experienced 'keeper available that you are already paying for then he should be considered to fill that gap over a young inexperienced 'keeper.

Any decent Manager uses the best players available therefore Robinson should have been on the bench as no.2 to Martin till such time he moved on.

Plenty of time thereafter for Leighfield to develop.

9 minutes ago, NorthSouth said:

Incredible eh that a young gk comes across as nervous on his debut...

18 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Please read carefully !

I think it is clear that he is not in the plans but an unexpected, emergency situation has arisen.

The point I am making - and you don't seem to get - is that if you have an experienced 'keeper available that you are already paying for then he should be considered to fill that gap over a young inexperienced 'keeper.

Any decent Manager uses the best players available therefore Robinson should have been on the bench as no.2 to Martin till such time he moved on.

Plenty of time thereafter for Leighfield to develop.

Ah well we'll need to agree to disagree on this one eh... football is a matter of opinion, part of the reason we love it.

Great chance to get the young lad experience in a game early in the season that we will be expected to take nothing from, it is possible I guess we get a hiding and it takes him two steps back after making one step forward but I hope not. Time will tell I guess.

My historical dislike for Marshall is irrelevant. At the time I thought it was quite a strong header back to the boy. The fact it went out for a corner from where he made contact would suggest it isn't a wild assumption. Leighfield should still have dealt with it though.

I used that as the only reference I can't think of where the boy put a foot wrong and even then you could argue it wasn't 100% his fault.

Considering the boy had no saves to make and dealt with the only cross he had what made you come to the conclusion that he was "uncomfortable and not ready for this level"?