The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Tapping I think is going to be the biggest determinant in how this season goes, he looks a great player and hopefully the worst of the injuries is behind him now.

Millar has been on last chance saloon for about 18 months now and if anything he  has only gotten worse especially considering that he's been given enough opportunity to become the main man rather than just pass sideways, look bored out of his mind and maintain the shooting accuracy of a small child with a rocket launcher. He's managed to live off a reputation of a player that hasn't been seen for a long time now. Jacobs is similar in the respects that he isn't going to break any teams down with slick passing and play the safe sideways or backwards pass whilst not being particularly quick or strong to bring something defensively. A prolonged period of Tapping out injured could be very detrimental as we'll struggle with an very immobile centre mid.

Hamill's played in midfield before so there could be the possibility of getting him involved in there as he would offer a lot more than either of those two can at this stage despite the fact watching him at right back is a joy to watch after witnessing Lewis Kidd's attempts at the art of defending last year.

Interested to see whether lean  mean Pickard's 'play like there's a

swarm of bees chasing you' approach to centre mid can sustain itself over a season or whether he learns to be  more controlled in how he plays.

So its looking positve ? .

wasnt a great game saturday dont think anyone bar hamil or hilson played well. felt dykes played better when he went uptops but as palmy cammy said some of the shouts near me towards dykes and pickard were shocking, cant really expect the young boys to be this consistent every game. been impressed with dykes so far so hopefully saturday was a one off, felt harsh on jacobs being dropped as he didnt do much wrong against thistle 

19 hours ago, weeredbook said:

So its looking positve ? .

I like a lot more about the team  than last yearsuch as looking like it's a more balanced team with actual wingers and a solid defence but centre midfield was very poor last year with too many 'nice' players who aren't able to take control of a game technically or physically. With the major exception of Tapping, I don't think that the same midfield is going to start doing things they weren't able to do last year.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

I like a lot more about the team  than last yearsuch as looking like it's a more balanced team with actual wingers and a solid defence but centre midfield was very poor last year with too many 'nice' players who aren't able to take control of a game technically or physically. With the major exception of Tapping, I don't think that the same midfield is going to start doing things they weren't able to do last year.

Really? Anderson is a winger, obviously, but so was Harris. After that we have a forward playing out wide, Dykes, much the same as Russell did. Conroy, arguably was also a more natural wide player than anyone in the current squad, other than Anderson.

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Really? Anderson is a winger, obviously, but so was Harris. After that we have a forward playing out wide, Dykes, much the same as Russell did. Conroy, arguably was also a more natural wide player than anyone in the current squad, other than Anderson.

Conroy a natural wide player?? In what way?  he had a decent left foot but that was it. no pace, couldnt beat a player. Been p!sh for years!

19 minutes ago, spacekid84 said:

Conroy a natural wide player?? In what way?  he had a decent left foot but that was it. no pace, couldnt beat a player. Been p!sh for years!

Because thats where he'd played his entire career and where he played pretty much every game for us. Less because he played in the centre for Airdrie the other week and was utterly anonymous :lol:

I never said he was good.

I take the point, though, he wasnt a winger

51 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Those guy  seemed to prefer cutting inside too much and clogging up the middle when an attack broke down leaving our width to Lewis Kidd and an at times reluctant to attack Jordan Marshall, which is partly why the football got bogged down and slow. Not to mention probably contribute more defensively. That being said Russell's goals and Harris's creativity when he switches on will be a big miss.

9 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Those guy  seemed to prefer cutting inside too much and clogging up the middle when an attack broke down leaving our width to Lewis Kidd and an at times reluctant to attack Jordan Marshall, which is partly why the football got bogged down and slow. Not to mention probably contribute more defensively. That being said Russell's goals and Harris's creativity when he switches on will be a big miss.

Fair point. I think that has a lot to do with which side Fowler had them on. He was quite keen on playing wide players on their "opposite" wings so they would cut inside. Its a trend in modern football I dont really get - well, I do, they cut inside and shoot or pass into the box and leave space for the fullbacks to overlap. For me, though, a winger on his strong side is far more dangerous, particularly at this level, where they create space to cross in the final third or, even better, get to the bye line and cross.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Ryan Finnie signed for Annan last week. He scored for them on Saturday.

Just seen that Skyline, seen he was in Annan's team for tonights game.