The Queen of the South thread

The Tele reporting he was offered a 2 year extension and we paid a small compensation fee for him.

Also knocked back st Mirren and Plymouth.

Fair enough, thanks for that.

Of course, Queens never offer two year contracts so it cant be true. Bit odd he turned down what would, presumably, be a lot more money at Plymouth. Maybe didnt fancy the move I suppose

Fair enough, thanks for that.

Of course, Queens never offer two year contracts so it cant be true. Bit odd he turned down what would, presumably, be a lot more money at Plymouth. Maybe didnt fancy the move I suppose

What player are we talking about?

In the paper, it says that we are interested in Josh todd from Annan, but Skelton is not sure if we can afford the compensation.

Edited by temps15

I guess it depends how good we think he actually is.

We expected maximum compensation for our departures at end of previous season so I guess it is understandable that Annan are thinking along similar lines.

Queens should have a good working knowledge of the system and can presumably benchmark Todd with the likes of Reilly, holty etc.

Personally I would take it to tribunal. He is only stepping out of fourth tier andis making the move to a small Championship Club. It is hard to imagine a fee of £15k stacking up. At end of day if he really is a progressive type one would expect there to be a queue of suitors and it doesnt look like there is.

I havent seen him so I cannot comment but this is the type of signing that makes sense in terms of potential and no doubt Skelton will know him well.

:o Seems a bit steep. What is the most we have paid for a player in the last 10 years? i know we paid a fee for oliver but bit unsure of others.

£5,000 for Chris Armstrong I guess. Who? Exactly.

Don't post much and may be well off on this but worth saying.

When we signed Steven Rigg, the official site said "Gavin was delighted to get his man after trying to sign him for Workington before he joined Carlisle". I remember thinking that Queen of the South and Workington are two different clubs and it would be important Gavin adjust his approach.

We now have friendlies with Gretna, Annan Athletic, Penrith and either Ayr United or South Shields. Not sure how many friendlies we will get arranged but that is a good number against teams at/around the Workington Reds level.

Again may be well off - probably am - and Skelton hasn't been manager for long enough to tell, but something to watch....

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

I couldn't care less about the opposition we face in pre-season friendlies. It is always something our fans seem to over analyse. The objective is all about fitness and I honestly don't think we'd be at that much of a disadvantage if we scrapped them all together and played inter-squad bounce games.

I think you make a very good point with your other comment though. I don't think Skelton was at Workington all that long, and he's only one years experience of coaching at this level. Whether that's long enough to gauge the difference in quality only time will tell.

Most of us are keen for him to delve into the north of England market for players. We might have to accept that in doing so we might end up with a few turkeys along the way.