Future Scotland Team

froggybinos

Not sure how it works in all honesty.

Pretty sure it has to be competitive, Diego Costa played in a few friendlies for Brazil then opted Spain before the World Cup. Imagine the seethe though, Caulker has already sang QSTQ .

0retty sure Sam Gallagher has publically stated he won't play for Scotland.

ETA

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/sam-gallagher-opts-for-england-over-scotland-1-3314751

Give it 6 years when he isn't good enough for England ;) . Phil Bardsley said the same.

He's the same age as Ben Foster at Man Utd I think. However the other Everton keeper, John Ruddy, on loan at Motherwell, looks like a great keeper.. if we can find him a Scottish granny.

He's 30 year old. Last I saw he as at Sheffield Utd. Certainly not future of Scotland.

That is a random stab indeed. A natural right back who will be on the wrong side of thirty is your best guess for the left back of 2015?

And he was right :lol:

For 2021, here we go then:

Marshall

Shinnie-Hanley-Souttar-Robertson

Mallan ( :ph34r: )-Armstrong

Christie-Gauld-Fraser

Watt

Jeez the well is a bit dry in the forward department. Obviously hoping there's a Scottish 15 year old out there somewhere who will break through and be a regular at a top European club in 6 years time. We must be due one...

Edited by Lex

A lot of noise recently about us only having one player under 25 starting vs Gibraltar. While I'd like to see more youngsters in there, Iceland - who have been held up as a paragon of a young, progressive side, have only one under-25 player in their entire squad (at least going by the most recent squad).

And he was right :lol:

For 2021, here we go then:

Marshall

Shinnie-Hanley-Souttar-Robertson

Mallan ( :ph34r: )-Armstrong

Christie-Gauld-Fraser

Watt

Jeez the well is a bit dry in the forward department. Obviously hoping there's a Scottish 15 year old out there somewhere who will break through and be a regular at a top European club in 6 years time. We must be due one...

Ollie McBurnie signed for Swansea from Bradford this summer after a successful loan spell in the conference. U19 striker and a big lad, supposed to be very highly thought of.

I actually quite like Cummings but lower EPL/championship class is probably his ceiling and he has a long, long way to go to get there as well.

Is Jack Harper an out and out striker or a no 10?

Ollie McBurnie signed for Swansea from Bradford this summer after a successful loan spell in the conference. U19 striker and a big lad, supposed to be very highly thought of.

I actually quite like Cummings but lower EPL/championship class is probably his ceiling and he has a long, long way to go to get there as well.

Is Jack Harper an out and out striker or a no 10?

Hopefully he's the one.

Would be such a boost to the team to have a player who was a regular starter at a team like Bayern, Chelsea, Real or Barca. I think having a top class talisman in our ranks is what we need to finally get over the line to a tournament. That or getting a really lucky draw.

You see the impact Bale has had on Wales and Alaba on Austria and other lesser countries who have players playing for top clubs and you think It must be our turn to get someone of that kind of quality soon.

As for Harper I thought he was more of a forward. Seems to have fallen off the radar since he went to Brighton in the summer though. Still not fit enough to get on the bench?

Hopefully he's the one.

Would be such a boost to the team to have a player who was a regular starter at a team like Bayern, Chelsea, Real or Barca. I think having a top class talisman in our ranks is what we need to finally get over the line to a tournament. That or getting a really lucky draw.

You see the impact Bale has had on Wales and Alaba on Austria and other lesser countries who have players playing for top clubs and you think It must be our turn to get someone of that kind of quality soon.

As for Harper I thought he was more of a forward. Seems to have fallen off the radar since he went to Brighton in the summer though. Still not fit enough to get on the bench?

I've heard Harper being likened to Van Persie (in terms of playing style and position), so that would suggest he's more of a forward than an AM.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what eleven we put on the park if we keep re-appointing incompetent managers and coaching staff. But the players him? Ah that's nice.

Another perspective would be that it doesn't matter which manager we have in charge if we keep producing mediocre players. In fact I'd say there's a lot more evidence for that point of view given the amount of managers we've been through since we last qualified

• 2 months later...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/international/1338781-scotland-national-team-older-than-any-of-world-footballs-top-teams/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In 2015 we're the oldest team in the top 50, with an average age of 29. A tad worrying, we'll need a pretty good batch of youngsters in the next couple of years otherwise we will continue to slip.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/international/1338781-scotland-national-team-older-than-any-of-world-footballs-top-teams/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In 2015 we're the oldest team in the top 50, with an average age of 29. A tad worrying, we'll need a pretty good batch of youngsters in the next couple of years otherwise we will continue to slip.

On the evidence of the last u21 match it's pretty slim pickings....Robertson Patterson n Cummings looked decent....the rest....pretty meh....hadn't realised the side was so old tbh

Good to see that stat - we've been bandying the 'squad's at a good age' line for the last 5-6 years. Maybe they were at a good/promising age 6 years ago, but not now. Now they should be at their peak or should have peaked (and if that was their peak last year then it was a pretty shite peak).

peak peak peak.

On the evidence of the last u21 match it's pretty slim pickings....Robertson Patterson n Cummings looked decent....the rest....pretty meh....hadn't realised the side was so old tbh

That's definitely a big issue for us. The side isn't only not good enough, they're old. They aren't going to get any better, most of the first 11 are either already over 30 or will be by the time the next qualifier campaign ends.

Naismith, Fletcher (both of them), Hutton, Marshall, Whittaker, Brown, Morrisson, Martin, Maloney, Snodgrass etc etc are all in that category.

Looking in the 18-24 age bracket for the next generation of internationals is pretty depressing really. Who's our best players in that age range? Andy Robertson and Hanley who both look like they're going to have good careers in the English Championship and then... Gauld? It really is slim pickings.

It's all well and good saying Strachan should have gave youth more of the chance, but when you see what youth he had available you can see why he never.

Edited by Lex