Doctor Who

yoda

I hope so, I do like it, but sadly, I have my doubts long term. I will disagree with you about Matt Smith though, he's no David Tennant.

no we agree about this. but our interpretation of this is different. everyone else thinks its bloody brilliant he is not tennant. he's VASTLY superior. you don't. and. you're wrong.

I've been thinking that episode back through, and I'm really starting to think there's a lot more to Rory than meets the eye. Do you remember the scene when the Doctor starts explaining something technical (can't remember what, exactly) and Rory keeps saying, in the background and rather agitatedly "I know"? You'll recall several odds and ends that have never properly been cleaned up like why in the first episode of last season his nurse ID badge has him as older than he should be etc.

Edited by Ad Lib

I've been thinking that episode back through, and I'm really starting to think there's a lot more to Rory than meets the eye. Do you remember the scene when the Doctor starts explaining something technical (can't remember what, exactly) and Rory keeps saying, in the background and rather agitatedly "I know"? You'll recall several odds and ends that have never properly been cleaned up like why in the first episode of last season his nurse ID badge has him as older than he should be etc.

you raise a good point but its more likely its something to do with him remembering everything in the 2000years of rory the centurion.

effectively having rory the centurion's memory makes rory as old as the doctor.

Edited by theentomologist

no we agree about this. but our interpretation of this is different. everyone else thinks its bloody brilliant he is not tennant. he's VASTLY superior. you don't. and. you're wrong.

No they don't. I know several people who like the new guy more, but I also know around the same number who like him less. This is a subjective thing, not an objective thing.

No they don't. I know several people who like the new guy more, but I also know around the same number who like him less. This is a subjective thing, not an objective thing.

no. no its really not. you'd like it to be, so as you can go look I'm not wrong I'm just different.

no. no its really not. you'd like it to be, so as you can go look I'm not wrong I'm just different.

I loved Tennant but love Smith more, but do you even know the meaning of subjective??? Having an opinion on who is better is the definition of subjective, and just because it differs from yours doesn't make it wrong.

Given that the Doctor has been played by 11 different actors I'd imagine that lots of people prefer different Doctors as they all bring something different to the role. Of the 3 most recent I rate them (in order of how I like them) Smith, Eccleston and Tennent. This doesn't mean that I dislike any of the performances just that I happen to like one performance over another. There is no right and wrong answer to that question as it's all opinion and everyone has a different one. Now if the discussion Theentomologist was having was about who the best actor was I'd agree that Tennent is better than Smith purely because he's been around longer and has the benefit of a larger body of work at the moment. As for the BAFTA thing, just be glad a great show has been nominated but don't wet your pants over it. Otherwise You're wrong Theentomologist Smith is a better and more interesting Doctor than Tennent was (with the exception of the Water of Mars episode where Tennents Dr realised he had the power to f**k about as he saw fit I would have LOVED it had they kept him like that for a few episodes rather than him deflating when the lass killed herself anyway)

Overall the first couple of episodes have been fantastic and I am certainly looking forward to the rest of them, although I'd love to see a multi episode story similar to the last Torchwood series happen with Dr Who I don't think it will any time soon mores the pity :(

That could make a lot of sense. Per my above post I thought for a minute that the child was The Doctor's but having snooped around Digital Spy others are reading it as it being Rory's but the TARDIS affecting its behaviour. This would tie in a little bit with the conversation Song and Rory had in the last episode when she says that the day worse than death was when "she first met the Doctor and he already knew everything about her". It's possible that in order not to wreck her time-line, the Doctor actually had to orchestrate her entire life in quasi-reverse order. This would be the advent of the blue book with the spoilers!

What this doesn't explain yet, is three things:

1. The death of the Doctor at the very start of the episode. Who was in the suit then and was this really his death? Didn't River Song mention at one point in the first meeting the two had that it must have been "at least two regenerations" younger?

2. If River is a Timelord (or even a quasi-Time-Lord) aren't TLs suppose to be able to tell who each other is even if they've regenerated etc? Surely the Tenant Doctor would have had her figured straight away. It's not like there's any evidence of a fob-watch kicking about.

3. How did River know to shoot that Silence creature when she wasn't looking at it? She says something like "I hope my old man didn't notice that". I can't remember from the two episodes, but was the Doctor ever seen "forgetting" the Silence? Do their (if you like) 'telepathic' abilities only work on humans?

1. Can't recall what was said in The Library so it might have been a couple of regenerations early.

2. I don't think the girl, who i believe is River Song, is actually a Time Lord. There were 20 species of alien tech in the suit. Who's to say there wasnt Timelord technology in it and being in the suit let the girl absorb it. Giving her the "power to regenerate". But she seemed to know about how to.

3. In the TARDIS it is established that the Dr. can't remember either

The |Doctor is still destined to die which made it odd that nobody mentioned it after they had defeated the Silence.

Where exactly did the Dwarf star alloy and the Lodger Tardis come from as we are told that the silence have no technology of their own.

Massive questions to answer in the series - Amy and the baby, the death of the Doctor, the identity of the astronaut in 2011 and the regeneration at the end (which was a supreme WTF moment)

AND FRANCES BARBER AS THE EYEPATCH WOMAN, I guess we'll be seeing her again soon.

I think the women seen in the door of the orphanage could be key to the whole series

to me, the tardis couldn't confirm either way, but must admit it's a total headbender of a start to the series

I thought the TARDIS couldn't confirm whether she's pregnant or not due to it being interfered with the silence. It "saw" the pregnancy when it scanned her, but when it "looked away" to do another function the baby was hidden, almost forgotten

Wasn't that passed off as a genuine error? Or so they would have us believe

I loved Tennant but love Smith more, but do you even know the meaning of subjective??? Having an opinion on who is better is the definition of subjective, and just because it differs from yours doesn't make it wrong.

of course I know the meaning of subjective. However, there's quantitative data to support my statement. is there data for his opinion?

Given that the Doctor has been played by 11 different actors I'd imagine that lots of people prefer different Doctors as they all bring something different to the role. Of the 3 most recent I rate them (in order of how I like them) Smith, Eccleston and Tennent. This doesn't mean that I dislike any of the performances just that I happen to like one performance over another. There is no right and wrong answer to that question as it's all opinion and everyone has a different one. Now if the discussion Theentomologist was having was about who the best actor was I'd agree that Tennent is better than Smith purely because he's been around longer and has the benefit of a larger body of work at the moment. As for the BAFTA thing, just be glad a great show has been nominated but don't wet your pants over it. Otherwise You're wrong Theentomologist Smith is a better and more interesting Doctor than Tennent was (with the exception of the Water of Mars episode where Tennents Dr realised he had the power to f**k about as he saw fit I would have LOVED it had they kept him like that for a few episodes rather than him deflating when the lass killed herself anyway)

Overall the first couple of episodes have been fantastic and I am certainly looking forward to the rest of them, although I'd love to see a multi episode story similar to the last Torchwood series happen with Dr Who I don't think it will any time soon mores the pity :(

which was my point. he's more appealing in THAT role. so. not. wrong. thanks for agreeing with me. though the data is on my side in any case.

which was my point. he's more appealing in THAT role. so. not. wrong. thanks for agreeing with me. though the data is on my side in any case.

What data says that Smith is the better Doctor?

Of course it's subjective, but I'll go with something like:

1. Troughton

2. T Baker

3. Smith

4. Davison

5. Eccleston

6. Hartnell

7. Tennant

8. McCoy

9. McGann

10. C Baker

11. Pertwee

I've backtracked on my earlier comment that Smith might be even better than Tom Baker. Too early to say that, but he's potentially so. And it's hard to judge McGann 'cause he didn't do any proper Who.

worldwide viewing figures -per episode- and awards attained -at least.

Sorry but the viewing figures just prove that people watch the program it isn't an indicator of quality nor does it allow you to assume the reason why people watch, there are an incredible number of factors that effect viewing figures. Awards attained don't prove anything yet either, earlier doctors have won more awards than Smith has so far. Just because he's been nominated for a BAFTA doesn't make him a better Doctor either as he isn't likely to win imo.

I get that you have a chubby for Matt Smith but just because you think he's the best does not make that a fact nor does any justification you can think of. The only thing that makes him better for you is that you think he's better, don't get a sore arse when others don't share your opinion people have different preferences when it comes to stuff like that.

McCoy above Tom Baker? Controversial.

Not that I dislike McCoy at all, he was probably unlucky to be there at a time when the programme wasn't considered high priority by the beeb and wasn't particularly well served with its scripts. In the couple of good stories that he did have, like The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, he actually came up rather well.

The only fixed points in my list were the top and the bottom, to be honest. I could quite easily shuffle them round a fair bit in between.