Doctor Who

yoda

20 minutes ago, GordonD said:

She actually tried three or four different faces before settling on the final one, which blew the minds of all the fanbhoys because of a line in an earlier story that said Time Lords could only regenerate twelve times and she had just used up a quarter of them in the space of two minutes.

It was a bit of comedy...

Resurrection of the Daleks was a bit mince. Drawn out, maybe that was because it was Two 45 minute episodes so the pacing felt off. Davros isn't in it that much and still feels overplayed. I really liked Tegan shame to see she's gone

That's Pete D done. Can't honestly say there were any that were absolute shite. How good is the Caves of Androzani?! Really like Peter, will miss him. Not mad into Perry yet, at least she's wearing clothes now.

I'm sure Colin Baker will have a long and happy tenure...

On 20/04/2023 at 09:39, GordonD said:

She actually tried three or four different faces before settling on the final one, which blew the minds of all the fanbhoys because of a line in an earlier story that said Time Lords could only regenerate twelve times and she had just used up a quarter of them in the space of two minutes.

Definitely a fanboy as I hate that stupid scene 😆

We have taken a bit of a left turn here. Got to the end of Frontios and, whilst decent enough, it is still just not sitting right. 

The plan we had was this. During our first run through we skipped all the series that were missing or part-missing from the Hartnell and Troughton days. We would watch through to the 1996 movie then go back to watch these ones. At the end of Frontios, Scott asked if we could switch the plan and go back now. So, we're going to catch all the old ones that have been reconstructed or animated, then come back to Davison later. 

So, three episodes into Marco Polo...and the difference is huge. It's miles better than the Davison era. The story is textured, informative and fun. It's the original gang with Ian, Barbara (😍) and Susan. The Doctor is a cantankerous old sod. It's just joyous returning to these. 

I'm still at a stage where I cannot quite put my finger on why the Davison series aren't hitting home with me. Across the board the ball has been dropped, I think, from writing to direction to music, to special effects. It looks a worse show than it did during, say, the Pertwee era a decade earlier. The companions make a big difference also. I find Tegan really grating - her job seems to be to whinge about going back to the Tardis. The only Davison one I liked was Nyssa. 

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

We have taken a bit of a left turn here. Got to the end of Frontios and, whilst decent enough, it is still just not sitting right. 

The plan we had was this. During our first run through we skipped all the series that were missing or part-missing from the Hartnell and Troughton days. We would watch through to the 1996 movie then go back to watch these ones. At the end of Frontios, Scott asked if we could switch the plan and go back now. So, we're going to catch all the old ones that have been reconstructed or animated, then come back to Davison later. 

So, three episodes into Marco Polo...and the difference is huge. It's miles better than the Davison era. The story is textured, informative and fun. It's the original gang with Ian, Barbara (😍) and Susan. The Doctor is a cantankerous old sod. It's just joyous returning to these. 

I'm still at a stage where I cannot quite put my finger on why the Davison series aren't hitting home with me. Across the board the ball has been dropped, I think, from writing to direction to music, to special effects. It looks a worse show than it did during, say, the Pertwee era a decade earlier. The companions make a big difference also. I find Tegan really grating - her job seems to be to whinge about going back to the Tardis. The only Davison one I liked was Nyssa. 

Marco Polo is superb tbf. Nothing has topped Hartnell for me 

The Reign of Terror was tremendous. 2 episodes animated, the rest normal. Hartnell having an utter laugh, dressing up as a citizen and really hamming it up. Ian the star of the show, doing all the heavy lifting. Susan a bit of an irritant as always. They animated Barbara with, er, bigger assets than in real life. Just fun. Very welcome.

Really love these old ones before the baggage of show mythology took hold. 

On 24/04/2023 at 08:36, scottsdad said:

Did you get to Caves of Androzani? That's generally considered as one of the best of all time so if you don't like that it's fair to day Davison isn't for you 😀

Glad you're giving the missing episodes ago. In terms of reconstructions, the officially released ones are usually fine to watch but tbe standard of the fan-made reconstructions varies considerably.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Did you get to Caves of Androzani? That's generally considered as one of the best of all time so if you don't like that it's fair to day Davison isn't for you 😀

Glad you're giving the missing episodes ago. In terms of reconstructions, the officially released ones are usually fine to watch but tbe standard of the fan-made reconstructions varies considerably.

No. Almost there but Scott could take no more Davison for the time being. We'll get to it soon enough. 

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

No. Almost there but Scott could take no more Davison for the time being. We'll get to it soon enough. 

I've loved watching it all the way through but the early Hartnell historicals are probably the best it ever was imo

Just taken me a week to get through the Twin Dilema. What a heap of shite. The Doctor is far too unlikeable, the story is rotten and it obviously had a budget of about 12p

Galaxy 4.

Interesting story, I thought. The Doctor, Steven and Vicki are kidnapped by sexy psychopathic women and fed lies about an alien ship that has also crashed.

Without going into the ins and outs of various escapes, captures, etc. - the ending was a bit unexpected. All along the Doctor and the Rill (the aliens) were saying that the psychos could leave the doomed planet on the Rill ship with them. In the end, they're left behind to die horribly in an inferno. Pleasing.

I normally wait until after finishing a story to post, but I am part-way through The Dalek's Master Plan.

So far, so...brutal. Katarina...blown out of an airlock. Bret (an early Nicholas Courtney) - shot dead after being a main character for quite a few episodes. And others, too.

And last night I watched "The Feast of Steven". 

1512490914-ezgifcom-video-to-gif-29.gif

The Dalek's Master Plan has to be the most brutal story of the lot. That ending, when Sara aged to death and became a skeleton, then dust...jeezo! Pulling no punches here. 

Tremendous. That one episode aside, this is Doctor Who at it's finest. Wonderful to see the monk back again - was not expecting that. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

The Dalek's Master Plan has to be the most brutal story of the lot. That ending, when Sara aged to death and became a skeleton, then dust...jeezo! Pulling no punches here. 

Tremendous. That one episode aside, this is Doctor Who at it's finest. Wonderful to see the monk back again - was not expecting that. 

I will hear no hatred for the Feast of Steven thank you very much 🤣

On 16/05/2023 at 09:34, scottsdad said:

See, I told you to watch the missing episodes. 🙂

The last episode of Daleks' Masterplan is the one I wish they'd find more than any other.

Zoomed forward to see Resurrection of the Daleks with Peter Davison. One of his very best stories, I think.

And finally we see the back of Tegan, who was for me the most irritating companion of them all. Even then, she walked away and left the Doctor but skip to the Power of the Doctor and, if I remember correctly, Tegan was all miffed at him for leaving her behind.