Doctor Who

yoda

Really enjoyed Earthshock. Good return of the Cybermen, good supporting characters, everyone with a bit to do.

Oh and the end, Adric no more. With the final credits playing with no music, to bring a tear to a glass eye.

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nrs68v7zj623x92p18

On 05/04/2023 at 10:03, scottsdad said:

Really enjoyed Earthshock. Good return of the Cybermen, good supporting characters, everyone with a bit to do.

Oh and the end, Adric no more. With the final credits playing with no music, to bring a tear to a glass eye.

Hide contents

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nrs68v7zj623x92p18

I always get tonal whiplash with Earthshock between the Soldiers in the mines playing at Alien, the lycia androids turning folk into mush, then sticking the doctor in a trapped room with cybermen for two episodes. 

Edited to add: that last bit with Waterhouse trying to avoid using the keyboard cos he knows it's gonna blow up just sums up his "acting". The cyberman laughing its ass off as it died was clearly the audience proxy for that scene.

Edited by renton

On to series 20. Davison taking a while to warm up but you can see how good he is. Tegan left (I know she comes back) after the bizarre Concorde story. I didn't mind Adric nearly as much as everyone else, just don't think the 4 person main team works (OGs aside)

I think we're about level pegging @Autistisches Nilpferd

Time-Flight was mince. Really just a bizarre story designed to shoehorn in an advert for Concorde. No offence to Anthony Ainley but his Master isn't really up to much for me. Doesn't quite have the same level of camp menace that Roger Delgado was able to bring to the part. To be fair he isn't helped by the fact they've made him up to look like Delgado as much as possible.

I was pleased that Tegan was left behind as I felt she spent the whole series whinging and asking to go back to the Tardis...

And on to the Arc of Infinity, and Tegan has returned. But she isn't nearly as annoying now. Nyssa is given much more to do and I am warming to her quite nicely. And Colin Baker doing a turn as a security guard was nice also. The Time Lords are a bit boring it has to be said. When you think back to The War Games and other early stories they were in, there were really, really powerful and almost baddies. Now they're like headless chickens waiting for the Doctor to come and rescue them.

Peter Davison has settled well into the role after his first series. But he is still a bit low-energy compared to Baker and Pertwee.

Onwards...

Passing on this video from Josh Snares about telesnaps. Fascinating stuff, they've a really good presenting style. Well worth checking out the channel if you haven't already

Not been on P&B much lately but have been battering through series 20. 

Mawdryn Undead was fun, and good to see the Brigadier make a return. Thurlough looks to be an interesting addition. 

Terminus was a bit boring, and quite sad to see Nyssa leave. She has been my favourite of Peter Davison's companions. And, for reasons I don't understand, they ripped off her skirt so she spent the episode running about in her underwear. 

Enlightenment was good fun. 

Finished the 5 Doctors. A hour an a half of campdrivel with not much point and even less plot. I loved it

Edited by Autistisches Nilpferd

20 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Finished the 5 Doctors. A hour an a half of campdrivel with not much point and even less plot. I loved it

I watched it last night. Not as much fun as The Three Doctors but good fun in any case. The guy playing the First Doctor was, i think, a bit miscast. he just didn't do it justice in the same way David Bradley does. Good to see some old companions back.

Can someone please tell me how Sarah Jane got a K-9? One is on Gallifrey with Leela, and the other in E-space with Romana. where did this one come from?

The Death Zone looks awfully like a quarry, like many alien planets from the Troughton era.

My favourite bit was the Brigadier landing a punch on the Master.

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Can someone please tell me how Sarah Jane got a K-9? One is on Gallifrey with Leela, and the other in E-space with Romana. where did this one come from?

You mean you've not seen the television classic K9 and company? Tut tut 

Just started New Who season 4. Tennant's last season, and Catherine Tate's turn as companion. Just watched The Fires of Pompeii and had forgotten how big a part Peter Capaldi played. I know they referenced it when he became the Doctor, but it's a bit jarring that they ended up casting an actor who had played such a prominent part in a previous episode (and not in heavy make up or anything).

I do love the relationship between The Doctor and Donna. I'm not a huge Tate fan in general, but she's a fantastic companion.

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Just started New Who season 4. Tennant's last season, and Catherine Tate's turn as companion. Just watched The Fires of Pompeii and had forgotten how big a part Peter Capaldi played. I know they referenced it when he became the Doctor, but it's a bit jarring that they ended up casting an actor who had played such a prominent part in a previous episode (and not in heavy make up or anything).

I do love the relationship between The Doctor and Donna. I'm not a huge Tate fan in general, but she's a fantastic companion.

Did you spot Karen Gillan as one of the soothsayers?

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Did you spot Karen Gillan as one of the soothsayers?

Aye I did. At least she was fairly heavily made up!

I've seen them all before up until Clara leaves, not seen the end of Capaldi's run or any of Whittaker's. Looking forward to getting caught up.

6 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

There is precedent. 

Colin Baker was a guard on Gallifrey on a Peter Davison story. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Lalla Ward was in another story before becoming Romania, too. In that case, she said she specifically chose the face  because she liked it. 

She actually tried three or four different faces before settling on the final one, which blew the minds of all the fanbhoys because of a line in an earlier story that said Time Lords could only regenerate twelve times and she had just used up a quarter of them in the space of two minutes.