Doctor Who

yoda

I didn't enjoy it all that much (been watching David Tennant episodes recently and they are quite good).

This one, it felt to me like it was originally a longer episode and had scenes cut out of it. It just seemed to jump from section to section and the continuity seemed a bit off. 

The Sea Devils surely must be the least scary baddies we've seen in a while. 

Just got round to watching it tonight. Was awright. Seen worse and seen better. Hopefully the preview for later in the year is as good as it looks

I didn't enjoy it all that much (been watching David Tennant episodes recently and they are quite good).
This one, it felt to me like it was originally a longer episode and had scenes cut out of it. It just seemed to jump from section to section and the continuity seemed a bit off. 
The Sea Devils surely must be the least scary baddies we've seen in a while. 
Agree that it looked like bits were cut from it

• 3 weeks later...

Ncuti is brilliant. Anyone who has seen Sex Education or Black and Scottish will know that. Really exciting times ahead for the Doctor. Cannie wait

3 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Ncuti is brilliant. Anyone who has seen Sex Education or Black and Scottish will know that. Really exciting times ahead for the Doctor. Cannie wait

Would agree with this, however most of his performance will depend on the writing which has been poor for years.

15 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Would agree with this, however most of his performance will depend on the writing which has been poor for years.

This is the big issue. Capaldi and Whittaker were on jobby polishing duties with their scripts. 

Best of luck to him. Another Scottish Doctor. 

I loved him in Sex Education and he seems like a lovely fella.

He seems ower young for it though, but that could just be the fact that I'm used to seeing him play an 18 year old and he's probably closer to Matt Smith's age when he played.

In response to @welshbairn, I imagine the criticism will be mostly allegations of box ticking rather than merit relating to the acting and character. Sadly the producers led with exactly that. Representation and his popularity with certain demographics on Instagram were given as the big reasons for his hiring which I thought was a bit unfair and frankly odd. All you have to say is how great his energy is and the personality he brings to the role, get everyone onside from the start. Easy peasy. 

20 minutes ago, velo army said:

I imagine the criticism will be mostly allegations of box ticking rather than merit

The producers were on a hiding to nothing with regard to the casting. Any man they chose would be seen as a step back (in some quarters) after a woman had played the role, so a black man is probably their best option.

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The producers were on a hiding to nothing with regard to the casting. Any man they chose would be seen as a step back (in some quarters) after a woman had played the role, so a black man is probably their best option.

I agree with this, and it's part of the problem. The problem the fans had with Whittaker's doctor wasn't her gender, it was how that was wielded, and also how the show seemed to become very preachy and overtly political. Fans mostly want their beloved series to be treated with respect rather than being used to promote a particular political agenda. Fan service isn't a bad thing, especially with a series beloved by generations. 

There's absolutely no reason why the doctor shouldn't be black, or female, or a being whose gender changes from moment to moment (I actually think that would be cool), so there was no reason to come out and explain Ncuti's selection was based on his race. It leaves him pretty exposed I think. Personally I'd feel uneasy if I'd just been hired and my boss said that I was hired due to a lack of bearded Glaswegians. What of my abilities and right fit in the team? 

I was told recently that when casting for Alien the gender of each role wasn't defined at all, so they cast the actors who they felt were right and just made the gender of the character match the actor. The result was one of the most iconic protagonists in sci-fi and one of the most popular sci-fi movies ever (and I always get pelters for having not seen it). 

They should just have done that with the doctor and come out with "aye, Ncuti blew us all away at audition and immediately inhabited the role in such a way that we could no longer imagine anyone else in it". The fandom would have been onside and it would have been some lovely feedback for the actor who would have felt more secure in his selection. Sure there would have been people that would have still moaned about diversity hiring and box ticking, because some folk see nefarious intent around every street corner, but it would be a stronger message of inclusion.

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

I was told recently that when casting for Alien the gender of each role wasn't defined at all, so they cast the actors who they felt were right and just made the gender of the character match the actor. The result was one of the most iconic protagonists in sci-fi and one of the most popular sci-fi movies ever (and I always get pelters for having not seen it)

wwf-wrestling.gif

Well deserved pelters

11 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They have said that Ncuti got the job because of an impressive audition. They'd originally cast someone else.

Fair enough. I watched the BBC news yesterday and what they were running with was what I'd said, which was alarming. Hopefully the message above is the one that gets the most traction.