Doctor Who

yoda

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I agree, way too many historical and issue driven storylines. Although my sister who teached reckons it's the only way kids will learn about them.

For me, there has always been the agenda in the stories. But it was subtly done and the entertainment within the stories was the driver. The speech at the end of Orphan 55 is the kind of problem the show has now. 

On 30/06/2021 at 19:09, welshbairn said:

I agree, way too many historical and issue driven storylines. Although my sister who teached reckons it's the only way kids will learn about them.

If I remember right, this was one reason the series was created for in the 1960s.

There's too much trying to push an agenda, whether it's political or prejudice.  I actually quite like Jodie - she brings something different to the role, but she's been badly let down by the writing during her stint and I'd love to know what she thinks of it privately.  For some reason, they've veered away from being a time travelling alien turning up in different places and battling the bad guys.  There's always to be a message about the story in relation to the world we live in right now

• 3 weeks later...

The double episode at the end of Capaldi's first series and the majority of his final series plus his farewell special were excellent. I liked a couple of Whittaker episodes, but that's about it. It has been mostly appaling. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Reckon there's an outside chance of Eccleston returning? He's very much warmed back to Doctor Who. The people he initially disliked working with are no longer present and it could be seen as something different, something that could spike some life into the show and some unfinished business.

Still the best Doctor for me.

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I re-watched Capaldi's episodes last year and, second time around, he was excellent. I didn't warm to him so much initially but he really made the character seem a bit alien.

Capaldi has been a fan of the programme all his life. He had a letter about it printed in the Radio Times when he was 15

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Started watching this from the beginning. I hadn't seen Ecclestone before, how/why did they cast him for this returning? He's not right at all.

Big name to bring it back. I actually enjoyed his take on the character and was a bit sorry to see him go so soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, NorthernLights said:

Good news, I think. His successors have been a touch ropey. 

If he could convince Stephen Moffatt to write the odd episode that would be good, too. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Good news, I think. His successors have been a touch ropey. 

If he could convince Stephen Moffatt to write the odd episode that would be good, too. 

All the episodes written by Stephen Moffatt were odd.

badum-tish.jpg

On 02/08/2021 at 11:43, scottsdad said:

I re-watched Capaldi's episodes last year and, second time around, he was excellent. I didn't warm to him so much initially but he really made the character seem a bit alien.

He was in the DT episode about Pompeii as was Karen Gillan (before she was Amy Pond).

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He was in the DT episode about Pompeii as was Karen Gillan (before she was Amy Pond).

Not the first time a Doctor has already appeared in the programme. Colin Baker (No. 6) appeared in a Peter Davison (No. 5) story and actually got to shoot him!