Doctor Who

yoda

David Tennant is a great actor but was completely wrong for Dr Who. yes, he was popular but there was no edginess to his Doctor whatsoever, just a guy playing it for laughs with a stupid accent to boot. Matt Smith is the best Doctor since Tom Baker and that's no lie.

David Tennant is a great actor but was completely wrong for Dr Who. yes, he was popular but there was no edginess to his Doctor whatsoever, just a guy playing it for laughs with a stupid accent to boot. Matt Smith is the best Doctor since Tom Baker and that's no lie.

It is a lie because Tennant and Eccleston were both better than Matt Smith and Tom Baker. That is not to say that Smith isn't a great Doctor, he is, and he is growing on me more and more.

It is a lie because Tennant and Eccleston were both better than Matt Smith and Tom Baker. That is not to say that Smith isn't a great Doctor, he is, and he is growing on me more and more.

This is both wrong in my opinion -and thus conclusively- and also proven to be wrong by BAFTA. Smith is the only doctor to have been nominated for playing the doctor.

Aye it'll decline with the other 2M that skyplussed or TiVo'd it because of the great weather. Chase yerself.

I love this denial! Face it, its falling out of the national consciousness and its on its way back to being a niche. Even the posters claiming to disagree with me seem to be supporting my view.

I thought Tennant was an excellent Doctor. Again, you're another who would rather see it as a niche. The show wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular without him.

I love this denial! Face it, its falling out of the national consciousness and its on its way back to being a niche. Even the posters claiming to disagree with me seem to be supporting my view.

I thought Tennant was an excellent Doctor. Again, you're another who would rather see it as a niche. The show wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular without him.

you realise its more than this one figure you've quoted? can you furnish us with the bbc america figures? its more than national conciousness -which you're wrong about btw- its international now.

tennant was a reasonable lead in a show. an excellent doctor he was not. smith is both a lead actor in and ensemble but also a superb doctor. I couldn't care less if its popular. clearly money wise its better if it is, but its not integral to the quality of the show. I'm not bothered if it is niche -what a fucking brilliant niche it will be. -House, is niche. and is biggest selling franchise in us at moment.

you realise its more than this one figure you've quoted? can you furnish us with the bbc america figures? its more than national conciousness -which you're wrong about btw- its international now.

tennant was a reasonable lead in a show. an excellent doctor he was not. smith is both a lead actor in and ensemble but also a superb doctor. I couldn't care less if its popular. clearly money wise its better if it is, but its not integral to the quality of the show. I'm not bothered if it is niche -what a fucking brilliant niche it will be. -House, is niche. and is biggest selling franchise in us at moment.

Actually, it costs £1 million per episode, and the BBC only fund 2/3rds, the rest is made up from merchandise and the like. Popularity matters!

whats the bbc america figure again?

Dunno, do they buy more merchandise, and what if it falls? You can't say I'm wrong, because you're arguing the exact same thing re the repositioning of Dr. Who to be more scary straight up Sci Fi and less child friendly adventure. Thats exactly what you are arguing, and that is exactly what I am arguing. I am claiming that Dr. Who is now aiming itself at real hardcore fans, with more in jokes, better sci fi, and generally appealing to that niche...and you are agreeing with me! So there is no argument there. You can't really argue about viewing figures either, as they seem to back up my argument (and I had this argument with you last season).

All that leaves is an argument about whether being a niche (albeit a fairly large niche) is desirable and good. I don't think it is, because it just feels like something is missing. Its not as accessible and mass market as Dr. Who was, and while the lack of gay aliens is a good thing, overall it just feels like something isn't quite there, it doesn't generate as many column inches, it doesn't seem to appeal to the popular consciousness quite so much, and that is a bad thing for the long term future of Dr. Who imo.

Dunno, do they buy more merchandise, and what if it falls? You can't say I'm wrong, because you're arguing the exact same thing re the repositioning of Dr. Who to be more scary straight up Sci Fi and less child friendly adventure. Thats exactly what you are arguing, and that is exactly what I am arguing. I am claiming that Dr. Who is now aiming itself at real hardcore fans, with more in jokes, better sci fi, and generally appealing to that niche...and you are agreeing with me! So there is no argument there. You can't really argue about viewing figures either, as they seem to back up my argument (and I had this argument with you last season).

All that leaves is an argument about whether being a niche (albeit a fairly large niche) is desirable and good. I don't think it is, because it just feels like something is missing. Its not as accessible and mass market as Dr. Who was, and while the lack of gay aliens is a good thing, overall it just feels like something isn't quite there, it doesn't generate as many column inches, it doesn't seem to appeal to the popular consciousness quite so much, and that is a bad thing for the long term future of Dr. Who imo.

Which is exactly what the kids lap up about doctor who, and always did. If you wnat more kids to tune in, make it a bit scary, give it an edge, the only poeple who worry about that are adults, I remember as a five year old being terrified by the vampire women creature things that dragged people under the water in the Curse of Fenric back in '89, but that's what had me watching the week after as well!

As for in jokes/continuity - there is no more of this, generally than was present in RTDs version of doctor who, rather what there is, is a more targetted effect. Becuase of Moffat's more strenuous use of time travel heavy plots, continuity and in jokes focus quite hard on the current seaosn/story arcs, whereas RTD's spread out over the whole of his tenure. The fact that it has broken into the states now more gives a huge amrket boost to doctor who, that in the lack of decent US sci fi (Stargate Universe got cancelled, BSG and caprica are no more, there is no star trek tv show just now etc) means that the considerable sci fi community in the states is giving it much more attention, thus in the medium term, doctor who has a much wider following than it has at probably anypoint post 1976.

Finally, regarding british figures, those don't take iplayer or any other stored viewings into account, and I'd love to see the viewing figures for other shows and other channels, I'll bet Dr who was still comfortably ahead in terms of viewing percentages and I did see someone's graph of all the new doctor who seaosns to date, and Moffat/Smith's seaosn five was middle of the pack in terms of overall viewers.

So really, there is nothing to suggest that dr Who is retreating into a niche that will kill it, in fact the opposite is true, more tension and better sci fi will attract more viewers, certainly in the states and it'll appeal to the kids more than a 'kids adventure'

Finally, regarding british figures, those don't take iplayer or any other stored viewings into account, and I'd love to see the viewing figures for other shows and other channels,

Apparently -

The episode achieved a figure of 6.5m viewers, with an audience share of 36.7%.

Doctor Who was the second most-watched programme of Easter Saturday, with Britain's Got Talent taking the top slot with 9.5m viewers.

Final BARB ratings will be available within the next 10 days.

I was a bit WTF at first as they went going tie up the wee girls story, but the bit at the end was a real hook for later episodes. Fucking awesome.

I think it maybe reveals a bit too much, make's it reasonably easy to figure out the links. It certainly won't be the last Timelord we see/hear this series anyway.