Doctor Who

yoda

State of Decay was alright, bit really felt I had seen it (or a similar story) before but this time with vampire references. 

Warrior's Gate was a right mess. Bad plot, bad characters, really weird "set". 

Spoiler

K-9 is gone though, which is good. Romana also, which is a bit of a shame. 

2 stories to go of the Tom Baker era. He is phoning it in a bit now. 

36 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye? What were the highlights?

I cannie actually mind details. It was about 10 years ago I read it. But good to read about thrust into "stardom" at a young age while coming to terms with his sexuality in the early 80s. Then how he balanced loving Doctor Who and going to conventions while having anxiety etc. Also written in third person.

Great to see Jacqui Hill back. Weird that Jacqui Hill isn't playing Barbara though. All a bit weird. As meh as the Leisure Hive was it seems a more plausible regeneration device than we happens on Logopolis 

Just flown through a lot of series 18 today. That ending for Romana was a bit weird. I know behind the scenes it was a bit of a mess just now and they were resetting for Davison coming in. 

Am I finally ahead of @scottsdad?

Tom Baker ✅

If it wasn't for Tom we wouldn't have Ncuti. The programme changed so much from the tail end of Unit's scientific advisor to a show that could only be made in the 1980s (not an insult). We move onto Davison with optimism

On 25/03/2023 at 19:57, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Just flown through a lot of series 18 today. That ending for Romana was a bit weird. I know behind the scenes it was a bit of a mess just now and they were resetting for Davison coming in. 

Am I finally ahead of @scottsdad?

I have seen the first 2 episodes of the Davison era, so you might well be inching ahead now. 

What an odd regeneration that was!

McCoy II…

Delta and The Bannermen – this is just a bit weird, but not in a good way. Ken Dodd being in it is odd, for starters, but he’s not too bad. I struggle to understand why Mel is giddy with excitement about getting a bus to the 1950s when she has arrived on a time machine? Also they spend the whole story setting up a suspiciously Ace-like actor as the new companion only to not take her with them and instead take Ace (played by a much inferior actor) in the next story. Mental. There isn’t much to this and what there is makes little sense. It’s another dull background time period, too. Can’t really be arsed with this one. 4/10

Dragonfire – will address the bad, first. The “dragon” is shite. Really, really shite. First impressions of Ace is that Sophie Aldred can’t act and her character is incredibly cringey (saying “brill” and “ace” every two minutes, do sod off). Still, she’s better than Mel, obviously. The cliffhanger at the end of episode one is the worst ever. To summarise: The Doctor is walking along a ledge and, for no apparent reason, decides to step over the ledge and cling on flimsily by his umbrella. Even though he could, quite easily, have walked down. At the end of the episode he is about to fall into an abyss so deep we can’t even see the bottom. Next episode, Glitz walks down (exactly like the Doctor could have) and the Doctor gets on his shoulders before being lowered to safety. So it wasn’t actually deep at all. At worst, he might have sprained his ankle. And there was no reason for him deciding to clamber over the edge in the first place. There have been many examples of a cliffhanger for a cliffhanger’s sake, but this is by far the worst. Good side: even though it’s quite cheap and plasticy and the snow looks faker than in a Cliff Richard video, I still quite like the alienness of this story. Glitz adds to the entertainment and, best of all, Mel sods off at the end. Hurrah! I tend to think that eighties Who is looked on too harshly, but the critics were absolutely right about Mel. Yes, she did tone it down a bit after her initial episodes and yes, Bonnie Langford is perfectly fine in the Big Finish dramas, but she was a fucking awful onscreen companion who did as much to put people off watching as scheduling the show opposite “Coronation Street” did. She gets a decent send-off, here, better than her character deserved. 6/10

Eccleston II…

The End of the World – this probably won’t be close to anyone’s favourite story, but it’s not bad. We are still at the stage of introducing a new companion (and, by extension, a new audience who may not have watched the original show prior to its cancellation). Piper is good, again, though her character is underused, if we are being critical. There isn’t a huge amount of depth to the story and not much in the way of peril, but it serves as an enjoyable first space journey for the revived series, and the aliens look, frankly, a million times better than they used to. This is unspectacular but perfectly fine. 6/10

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Just one from me today - Castrovalva. First outing of Peter Davison taking on the David Moyes position of following Tom Baker. 

In some ways he reminds me a wee bit of Matt Smith. Some very nice touches, taking a bit more time and breath to get to the point. 

The new Master is alright, but I wish they hadn't made him up to look like the original one. Feels a bit like a tribute act. 

Tegan is irritating me a bit but hopefully that will calm down.

I quite enjoyed Four to Doomsday, it was a throwback to some classic stories. 

Kinda was a bit meh. The "Tegan's mind" scenes were just odd. 

Tegan is calming down a bit which is good. Adric gets more annoying all the time. Nyssa doesn't really do too much. 

Getting used to Davison's calmer approach, and I think he's quite good. 

33 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Tegan is calming down a bit which is good. Adric gets more annoying all the time. Nyssa doesn't really do too much. 

Nissan wasn't meant to be a companion. JNT just liked her. You can tell

1 minute ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Nissan wasn't meant to be a companion. JNT just liked her. You can tell

I quite like her too, but she gets given nothing to do. Hang about in the Tardis whilst everyone else runs about having adventures.

2 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Well this is a delightful turn of events. She'll be brilliant.

Already seen a "watched since Hartnell that's it for me". Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out

On 03/04/2023 at 11:52, scottsdad said:

Spoiler

If it wasn"t for Adric ....

On 29/03/2023 at 14:11, Bully Wee Villa said:

Eccleston II…

The End of the World – this probably won’t be close to anyone’s favourite story, but it’s not bad. We are still at the stage of introducing a new companion (and, by extension, a new audience who may not have watched the original show prior to its cancellation). Piper is good, again, though her character is underused, if we are being critical. There isn’t a huge amount of depth to the story and not much in the way of peril, but it serves as an enjoyable first space journey for the revived series, and the aliens look, frankly, a million times better than they used to. This is unspectacular but perfectly fine. 6/10

the world did not end ?!