Doctor Who

yoda

45 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Off to the NMS Doctor Who exhibition tomorrow. The kids are looking forward to it.

Thought it was shite tbh. May just have been me though. Enjoy

Key to time is a bit weird. Thought the Black Guardian would have been far better as the Master. Just seemed a bit added on. Wasn't convinced with Mary Tamm, thought she was quite a week actress, a massive downgrade on Leela. Also weird seeing Lalla Ward, knowing she was about to become a companion. Oh well to Baker series left. "Don't you think he looks a bit tired"

The Leisure Hive was really poor. Did not like it one bit. The music, the script, the acting all painful. 

Meglos was far better, decent storyline and some of the music settled down a bit. But the best bit, of course, was Jacqueline Hill returning. Shame her character was a bit poor; they could have given he so much more. 

4 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

What did you think of the exhibition @scottsdad

The kids enjoyed it a lot. It was OK but I would say it wasn't great value given the cost.

For me, I had more fun in the rest of the museum. I think the kids did too - driving the F1 simulator, looking at the bones and so on. We did an hour in the exhibition and about 2 and a half hours in the rest of the museum. 

It was Science Saturday so we saw robots and other stuff that isn't normally there. Then in the afternoon we went to HMV, Forbidden Planet and the Lego shop. a good day out.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The kids enjoyed it a lot. It was OK but I would say it wasn't great value given the cost.

For me, I had more fun in the rest of the museum. I think the kids did too - driving the F1 simulator, looking at the bones and so on. We did an hour in the exhibition and about 2 and a half hours in the rest of the museum. 

It was Science Saturday so we saw robots and other stuff that isn't normally there. Then in the afternoon we went to HMV, Forbidden Planet and the Lego shop. a good day out.

Museum of Scotland is a splendid place. Glad we agree about the exhibition 

Zipping through Tom Baker's final series now. He really is starting to look worn out by it. 

Less K-9. But this kid Adric is just a new annoyance. 

The quality has picked up a bit since the leisure hive, which I am confirming as my least favourite of all time. 

Davison part II…

The Visitation – I like the background setting to this one. 17th Century England is suitably grimy to remain interesting throughout and the highwayman character remains over the top in a fun way. It isn’t the best story in the world but rarely gets dull. Perfectly fine but not spectacular. 6/10

Black Orchid – I regularly moan about the programme’s tendency to shoehorn aliens/spaceships etc into “historical” adventures, thinking that there are more than enough interesting periods in the Earth’s history to make a good adventure without the inevitable “[insert alien race] are invading” storyline. So, I should like this, the only true “historical” story since 1966. But… it’s shite. Firstly, the time period is dull. Whereas, in the last story, the background added to the story, here it does nothing. A masqued ball may be interesting in “Eyes Wide Shut” when you know they’re all about to start having sex, but that’s hardly likely to happen in Doctor Who. It’s incessantly dull, here. Then the whole thing is a sub-Agatha Christie whodunnit. Who is it supposed to appeal to, exactly? I can’t imagine a single child would have got anything out of this one at all. It seems a case of the writer writing something they like rather than anything the actual audience might enjoy. Self-indulgent shite. And, talking of self-indulgence, it seems that Peter Davison is good at cricket. This starts a sequence of Doctors showing off skills possessed by their actors in real life. Sylvester McCoy plays the spoons, ex-footballer Matt Smith plays, you’ve guessed it, football and Peter Capaldi plays guitar. None of them really add anything to the plot. Let’s hope Ncuti Gatwa doesn’t have any hidden talent as an accordion player or mime artist. Throw in an offensive “all disfigured people are evil” trope and this is a load of rubbish. At least the main characters finally got to get changed for the first time since (at least) “Logopolis”. I hope the TARDIS has a washing machine. 2/10

Colin Baker part II…

Attack of the Cybermen – I wrote way too much about “Black Orchid” so will be lazy here. Colin Baker is a lot better than in “The Twin Dilemma”, though that’s like saying Chris Iwelumo was better for Wolves than he was for Scotland, he couldn’t have been much worse. As for the story, it’s just Cybermen-by-numbers. Meh. 4/10

Vengeance on Varos – whereas this is much more like it. Feels more like “The Running Man” than eighties Doctor Who, which is no bad thing. It has been criticised for violence, but kids love violence, IMO. The eight year old me would much rather have watched some baddies being knocked (or thrown?) into a vat of acid than some half-arsed attempt at a Poirot case with cricket thrown in for no apparent reason. Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant have much better chemistry here than before but the star of the show is, undoubtedly, Nabil Shaban as Sil. Totally memorable from start to finish and with the most distinctive voice in the show’s history since “EX-TER-MEEEE-NATE!” was first screamed by a stroppy Dalek. He’s brilliant. Bring him back, please. I went into this thinking this is the best Colin Baker story and it absolutely obliterates the rest, so far. Will see if any others get near it before he gets sacked. 9/10

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

This starts a sequence of Doctors showing off skills possessed by their actors in real life.

Billy Connolly pointed out that this happens a lot in pantomimes. So in the middle of (say) Aladdin, a character would say to himself, "But now that I am all alone, I think I'll play my xylophone!" and away he would go to fill in a couple of minutes.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Billy Connolly pointed out that this happens a lot in pantomimes. So in the middle of (say) Aladdin, a character would say to himself, "But now that I am all alone, I think I'll play my xylophone!" and away he would go to fill in a couple of minutes.

My father tells the story of Buttons Devine using his magical singing voice to help Cinderella *shudders*

On 22/03/2023 at 07:32, scottsdad said:

Zipping through Tom Baker's final series now. He really is starting to look worn out by it. 

Less K-9. But this kid Adric is just a new annoyance. 

The quality has picked up a bit since the leisure hive, which I am confirming as my least favourite of all time. 

Spoiler

Auric is a total hero

What did we think of how they redid Shada? I must say I liked it, decent story (Douglas Adams wrote it of course) and I like the animations. I am fascinated by the missing episodes so hopefully more to come (I know there's been issues)

On 22/03/2023 at 07:32, scottsdad said:

Less K-9. But this kid Adric is just a new annoyance

At least on this point, there is good news down the line.