Doctor Who

yoda

Pertwee part 2…

Terror of the Autons – it’s a bit rubbish that Liz was written out off-screen, even Dodo got better than that. Still, Jo is likeable from the start, and the Brigadier’s character has been softened considerably since the last series. The most memorable part of this story, though, is the debut of The Master, and Delgado nails the part immediately. The story totally batters the line between plausible and silly several times, but I don’t care. The ridiculous killer doll is one of my favourite ever Doctor Who scenes, and you’d have to be an absolute wrong ‘un to not like this. 9/10

Mind of Evil – the central conceit of this is supposed to be the robot that turns people’s greatest fears against them. So if you’re scared of rats, you’ll imagine rats, and people will find your corpse covered in very non-imaginary bite marks. Lots of Doctor Who fans seem to find this ridiculous, but I’m happy enough with it. It’s more or less the same idea that led to about ten Nightmare on Elm Street films, when you think about it, and serves as an antithesis to the numerous “just concentrate really hard and it will disappear” cop-outs in the show. It is a bit silly that The Doctor seems to be scared of The Zarbi and Coquillian, admittedly. Still, the more interesting element of this story is The Master, who spends the time scheming in and around a prison. This is decent. 7/10

The Claws of Axos – and this is less than decent. I quite like the Axons’ gold eyes, but pretty much everything else looks bad. The floor monster that turns up at the end of one of the episodes is the worst creature in the show’s history, much worse than the deservedly-criticised dinosaurs from “Invasion of the Dinosaurs” and insect people from “The Web Planet” or the unfairly-maligned liquorice allsorts man from “The Happiness Patrol”. It is so clearly just somebody lying on the floor moving a blanket, absolutely pathetic. The plot isn’t too much better. The idea of the Axions having a substance that could make life easier for all of humanity is a reasonable plotpoint, but the same idea is done much better in “Black Panther” and the “South Park” episode with the “space cash” than it is here. At least the show, and The Doctor, seems to be on the right side of history here, which doesn’t always seem to be the case, by opposing the Brits’ petty nationalism in trying to keep everything for themselves. The story itself just peters out, though. There’s a scene featuring some bloke who looks like Alex Higgins fighting an evil lookalike of himself that seems to go on for about ten minutes. I couldn’t even remember who he was let alone give a toss if he won. Why not have Jo or The Doctor or even one of the UNIT people that we vaguely care about in that scene? This whole thing is just underwhelming. 4/10

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Terror of the Autons – it’s a bit rubbish that Liz was written out off-screen,

The actress decided to leave during the close season because she was pregnant. It turned out that the programme makers had already decided to write her out anyway, so that worked out for the best but it meant they never got the chance to do a proper leaving scene.

3 more Tom Baker ones done. 

Horror of Fang Rock. I have to say I found this one a wee bit dull. A lot of running up and down the stairs between the three rooms of the lighthouse. Finished well enough though. 

The Invisible Enemy. Really enjoyed this one. It had it all, a bit of inner space, alien virus baddies, mind control, space stations. And now K-9. Tell me the robot dog isn't in it much, please. 

Image of the Fendahl. A good, creepy storyline. Very enjoyable. Ancient aliens combined with a bit of the supernatural, and another case of a woman being the centre of a macabre religious ceremony. Lots of references to Leela's new dress, clearly made for extra skimpiness. 

Two more Tom Baker ones.

An enslaved population, ruled over by evil, self-serving masters who have created a pseudo-religion complete with ritualistic sacrifice/execution. The Doctor gets involved with Leela causing the overthrow/destruction of the baddies and freeing the oppressed.

This was the storyline in general for both The Sun Makers and Underworld, though in different contexts. having them back to back felt a bit repetitive for me.

The Invasion of Time

Good 6-parter to finish off the series. Back on Gallifrey where the Doctor is now President of the Time Lords and trying to stave off an invasion. Loads of scenes inside the Tardis, which looks suspiciously like the inside of an old (1950s ish) school or hospital. 

No more Leela, which is a shame as I was warming to her. She apparently stayed on Gallifrey to be with a guy she just met and barely said two words to; very different to when Jo Grant stayed with a guy she met and fell in love with. 

Enjoyed this one quite a lot. 

Half way through series 16, and very much enjoying it. 

Without giving away much, this series has an overarching plot of sorts (very loose quest, Keys of Marinus sort of thing). He has Romana as a new companion. I'm still getting used to her. Nice to see a change from the wide-eyed Earth girl companion. 

When I see a story start with "by Robert Holmes" I know it's going to be good. Also had the first (I think) Douglas Adams story. A fair amount of good humour in these and plenty of action as well. 

My only gripe is the reliance on K-9. They use him for everything, from finding people to blasting open doors. 

Finished series 15. Shame Leela didn't last longer. She is either forgotten about between Sarah-Jane and the Romanas or is remembered for not wearing very much. I liked her, used in a very 1970s way but she was really good. Key to Time Next. Wooo

Edited by Autistisches Nilpferd

Two more Tom Baker ones done. I won't give away plot in case I spoil it for @Autistisches Nilpferd who is right behind me in the list.

Destiny of the Daleks was a very good sequel to Genesis of the Daleks. Mary Tamm is gone, which is a shame as I thought she was getting warmed up in the role. Lalla Ward was, I thought, quite wooden as Princess Astra but has come alive in as Romana.

City of Death was also very good. My only real gripe is with the title - it isn't about a City of Death in the slightest. Just happens to be set in Paris.

Spoiler

And a wee cameo from John Cleese, in his pre-Roaster days

John-Cleese-Doctor-Who.gif

Have you ever been chased through a cave by a giant green alien who uses a five foot long penis as a bludgeoning device? The Doctor has.

cfp8.jpg

The creature from the pit - a lot of fun and a few laughs, but totally mental. K-9 has a new voice actor to add that wee bit of annoyance that was missing before.

Tom Baker part II…

Terror of the Zygons – by consensus, an all-time classic, but… I don’t really agree. It isn’t without its merits, the Doctor and Sarah Jane have a good rapport now and the Zygons are an excellent baddie with their shape-shifting shtick giving writers lots to work with. The design still holds up today so no surprise that it was hardly changed for their belated revival. But… the story is all over the place. The Loch Ness monster bits are bollocks and look terrible, and my eyes rolled when, within the first minute of this Scotland-set adventure, somebody mentions haggis. So, overall, it isn’t bad. But the potential for the Zygons is far better and has been better realised in each of their newer appearances. There have now been three Zygon stories and this is the weakest. It’s alright, but hardly worthy of its revered status. 6/10

Planet of Evil – I should really do these within a day or so of watching as, yet again, I’ve largely forgotten what happens in this largely forgettable story. There’s a planet. It’s evil. The baddies are invisible for much of the story. It’s a good way of saving budget, I suppose. Meh. 5/10

The Pyramids of Mars – by consensus, an all-time classic and, this time, I do agree. This is much more like it. I don’t need to keep emphasising how good Baker and Sladen are now as they are excellent in virtually every story. There’s a bit of pathos in there with the story of the two brothers, Sutekh is a brilliant villain, so much so I’m surprised they haven’t brought him back yet. The denouement is one of the more famous in Doctor Who but, deservedly so. It's certainly more original than the large number of rushed endings in the show’s history, usually involving the baddies being defeated by love or some cop out with the sonic screwdriver. Yeah, this is great. 9/10

The Android Invasion – and this is very good, too. It isn’t without its flaws, the famous Sarah Jane cliffhanger would have been much better if they hadn’t made it obvious she was an android (both by the plot and the title), but I’m nit-picking. Not much to say about this other than if you like seventies Doctor Who, you’ll like this. The village looks quite nice, too and the pub is still there according to Google. I'm tempted... 8/10

I have a bad feeling about this. Series 17 done, and very enjoyable throughout. The Horns of Nimon was as good a story as you'll find.

But now I have started series 18. Just 2 episodes watched but oh dear - something dreadful has happened I think. These episodes are really, really poor. The music is dodgy and over everything, dialogue and sound quality all to pot, loads of sitting around and talking about theoretical sciences and no action - and the new title sequence is eye bleedingly bad.

I'm hoping it picks up, but is really feels night and day to the end of the last series. I said a while back that I saw a huge and immediate improvement in the quality of writing at the start of the Pertwee era. I'm worried that we're now seeing an immediate drop in quality.

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I have a bad feeling about this. Series 17 done, and very enjoyable throughout. The Horns of Nimon was as good a story as you'll find.

But now I have started series 18. Just 2 episodes watched but oh dear - something dreadful has happened I think. These episodes are really, really poor. The music is dodgy and over everything, dialogue and sound quality all to pot, loads of sitting around and talking about theoretical sciences and no action - and the new title sequence is eye bleedingly bad.

I'm hoping it picks up, but is really feels night and day to the end of the last series. I said a while back that I saw a huge and immediate improvement in the quality of writing at the start of the Pertwee era. I'm worried that we're now seeing an immediate drop in quality.

Welcome to the 1980s, and no - it doesn't get any better.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Aw man. I was really hoping for "it's just one bad story - the next one is a belter" replies.

Nah, Baker's last year has a fairly downbeat atmosphere for obvious reasons but for this season and the next there will be an emphasis on some 'hard' sci fi ideas that Dr Who is ill equipped to handle. 

Davidson will get a couple of interesting if ultimately badly flawed stories in Castrovalva and Kinda and then Eric Saward will become script editor until, like 1986-87.

He's the kid who read a few edgy 2000AD comics without understanding the satire. The stories become unrelentingly grim in tone, and cuts across Davidson's Doctor by making him look ineffectual all the time. The death toll goes through the roof (I think Ressurection of the Daleks still holds the on screen record for Dr Who?)

He'll get one actual decent story written by Robert Holmes. Its also his last story. Its also one more good story than Colin Baker will get.

The music and production won't get better either.

Andrew Cartmel takes over show running duties around 1988. You'll see a lot of elements that can be recognised as proto-NuWho with Ace becoming more than a two legged scream machine with actual agency. Some of the darker elements of the Doctor's character get explored - again, prototypical of what we take for granted today - but not sure McCoy is the right guy to carry it off. Ghostlight is a fantastic mess, Remembrance of the Daleks is pretty good. I like the theme from that era and the production by then is well lagging behind its contemporaries.

And then it's over.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Nah, Baker's last year has a fairly downbeat atmosphere for obvious reasons but for this season and the next there will be an emphasis on some 'hard' sci fi ideas that Dr Who is ill equipped to handle. 

Davidson will get a couple of interesting if ultimately badly flawed stories in Castrovalva and Kinda and then Eric Saward will become script editor until, like 1986-87.

He's the kid who read a few edgy 2000AD comics without understanding the satire. The stories become unrelentingly grim in tone, and cuts across Davidson's Doctor by making him look ineffectual all the time. The death toll goes through the roof (I think Ressurection of the Daleks still holds the on screen record for Dr Who?)

He'll get one actual decent story written by Robert Holmes. Its also his last story. Its also one more good story than Colin Baker will get.

The music and production won't get better either.

Andrew Cartmel takes over show running duties around 1988. You'll see a lot of elements that can be recognised as proto-NuWho with Ace becoming more than a two legged scream machine with actual agency. Some of the darker elements of the Doctor's character get explored - again, prototypical of what we take for granted today - but not sure McCoy is the right guy to carry it off. Ghostlight is a fantastic mess, Remembrance of the Daleks is pretty good. I like the theme from that era and the production by then is well lagging behind its contemporaries.

And then it's over.

I'll still watch these but jings, this could get tough by the sounds of it.