Doctor Who

yoda

34 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The Meddling Monk would be the first Time Lord seen, excluding The Doctor and Susan, I think. "War Games" is first time the term "Time Lord" is used, and Gallifrey isn't named until the 1973/74 Pertwee story "The Time Warrior".

You're right about the meddling monk. I was thinking more of the Time Lords on their own planet. 

War Games also (unless I am mistaken) is the first reference to the Doctor having stolen the TARDIS. William Hartnell's version claimed to have constructed his. 

Moving on, I have watched the first two Jon Pertwee stories.

The show changed majorly between the last series and this. Not just the change of actor and move to colour. The premise of the show changed also, with him helping UNIT in England in the early 70s. No travelling around in time and space. Part of me likes this, but this will get stale very quickly. The sooner he's out and about again, the better. But even more than this, the "feel" of the show is very different. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is - lighting, direction, writing, but it really is a big reset of the show.

On the cast, I do like Pertwee. He's quite self assured and I relate more to him as the doctor than I did with Patrick Troughton. Liz Shaw is a good companion and has good chemistry with the doctor. Lethbridge-Stewart I'm still getting used to.

On 26/11/2022 at 20:23, renton said:

If you had to pick one story from each Doctor's tenure, which would you choose?

1st - The Web Planet

2nd - The Invasion

3rd - Inferno

4th - Genesis of the Daleks

5th - Earthshock

6th - Trial of a Time Lord, parts 5 - 8

7th - Remembrance of the Daleks

A further 2 stories into the Jon Pertwee era for me.

The Ambassadors of Death was fabulous. It had an element of mystery that went all the way through it to the final episode (eg what happened to the astronauts? Who is behind it all?). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Inferno was fantastic also. 2 episodes in and I wasn't really into it that much, then it really "slipped sideways". Genuinely brilliant.

I think the writing of the show has improved, compared to some of the earlier series. The characters and the dialogue in particular seem better developed and well rounded. Take Inferno, and the interactions between Sir Keith, Professor Stahlman, the Doctor and Sutton. A mix of friendship, bickering, pettiness, respect and so on.

I like Jon Pertwee's Doctor more with each story.

On 16/12/2022 at 09:35, scottsdad said:

A further 2 stories into the Jon Pertwee era for me.

The Ambassadors of Death was fabulous. It had an element of mystery that went all the way through it to the final episode (eg what happened to the astronauts? Who is behind it all?). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Inferno was fantastic also. 2 episodes in and I wasn't really into it that much, then it really "slipped sideways". Genuinely brilliant.

I think the writing of the show has improved, compared to some of the earlier series. The characters and the dialogue in particular seem better developed and well rounded. Take Inferno, and the interactions between Sir Keith, Professor Stahlman, the Doctor and Sutton. A mix of friendship, bickering, pettiness, respect and so on.

I like Jon Pertwee's Doctor more with each story.

I think it was getting better towards the end of Troughton, but it really picks up in the first season of Pertwee.  I think that first season may be my favourite of the entire run (closely followed by the Key to Time season)

Just finished the first 2 stories of series 8, the first two with the Master. 

I can't help feeling the Master would have far more success if he didn't sit his enemies down, detail exactly what his plans are, then leave some goon to "guard the prisoner", who promptly escapes. 

The Mind of Evil was fun. 

"We can't storm the prison. It used to be a fortress in the middle ages"

"Maybe there's a secret rear entrance?"

They look at the map and there it is, clearly marked secret hidden rear entrance. Then, when the time comes to actually take the prison by this secret entrance, it's huge. It has a flight of stairs leading right to it. 

A lot of enjoyment with this series. 

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Thankfully not too much giving away in the trailer 

I do miss no Christmas special this year 

Think it looks fantastic. I know they're making the 60th a huge thing but something before next November would have been nice

The Doctor does not use violence or guns... Unless he is Jon Pertwee. 

Every other episode he is in a fight of some kind. Trial by combat, fist fighting terrorists, any time. The best was in the sea devils. The Master is in a jail cell, the doctor visits. Master escapes... and they both pick up fencing swords that were on a rack, on the wall right outside the cell. 

Good 5 minutes of fencing and quips. Quite why there were swords next to the cell is anybodys guess. 

Very much liking this series. 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:09, scottsdad said:

Moving on, I have watched the first two Jon Pertwee stories.

The show changed majorly between the last series and this. Not just the change of actor and move to colour. The premise of the show changed also, with him helping UNIT in England in the early 70s. No travelling around in time and space. Part of me likes this, but this will get stale very quickly. The sooner he's out and about again, the better. But even more than this, the "feel" of the show is very different. I can't put my finger on what exactly it is - lighting, direction, writing, but it really is a big reset of the show.

On the cast, I do like Pertwee. He's quite self assured and I relate more to him as the doctor than I did with Patrick Troughton. Liz Shaw is a good companion and has good chemistry with the doctor. Lethbridge-Stewart I'm still getting used to.

The Time Lords banished him to earth

Patrick looked like he came from Gallifrey. Jon flower power sixties London

One other thing to note about the 70s baddies is how they look. Arcturus looked cool, back to the skull in a jar look. 

p017htb6.jpg

I am a Star Trek fan, but can easily see that the ST producers nicked the look of the Klingons in later series from the Ogrons. 

p00y1gq9.jpg

Is there a less scary looking baddie than the sea devils? Like cute puppies. 

sea_devil_223.jpg