Doctor Who

yoda

On 17/11/2022 at 07:35, scottsdad said:

Vicki has a cute pet. 

Barbara takes a gun and blows it's brains out because it made a scary noise. 

Vicki is upset. 

The Doctor consoles her. "Well, child, I would have done the same thing. Now, don't you feel better?" 

Vicki is happy again. 

You get to have a jolly old laugh at Barbara nearly being raped in the next story. Innocent times.

32 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You get to have a jolly old laugh at Barbara nearly being raped in the next story. Innocent times.

Yep. Nero chasing her round the halls and trying to push her down on a bed, all for laughs. 

I am a bit further on now, almost at the end of the William Hartnell ones. Getting to the ones with many stories missing. We are skipping the stories that are incomplete. Just finished The War Machines. 

So much of Patrick Troughton is missing, it is genuinely sad. Enemy of the World was fantastic. A genuine baddie in Salamander. 

Zoe has appeared as a new companion. Wow. 

Have not taken to Jamie. Compared to Ian or Steven, he just doesn't offer all that much. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

So much of Patrick Troughton is missing, it is genuinely sad. Enemy of the World was fantastic. A genuine baddie in Salamander. 

Zoe has appeared as a new companion. Wow. 

Have not taken to Jamie. Compared to Ian or Steven, he just doesn't offer all that much. 

Quite a bit is animated or redone by Loose Canon with telesnaps. I know they're not for everyone but can be done

Edited by Autistisches Nilpferd

There are professionally-animated versions of quite a few missing episodes released on DVD, too. Not sure if they're all on Britbox. Power of the Daleks, Macra Terror, Evil of the Daleks and The Invasion are must watch, IMO. Don't go out of your way to find reconstructed versions of The Space Pirates, though...

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

20 hours ago, renton said:

If you had to pick one story from each Doctor's tenure, which would you choose?

The Massacre

The Mind Robber'

Doctor Who and The Silurians

City of Death

Earthshock

ToaTL 9-12

The Curse of Fenric

On 26/11/2022 at 20:23, renton said:

If you had to pick one story from each Doctor's tenure, which would you choose?

1 The Aztecs

2 The War Games

3 Doctor Who and The Silurians

4 Genesis of the Daleks

5 Caves of Androzani

6 Vengeance on Varos

7 Remembrance of the Daleks

8 The Movie (not a lot of choice here...)

9 The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

10 Human Nature/Family of Blood

11 The Day of the Doctor

12 Dark Water/Death in Heaven

13 Fugitive of the Judoon

Just finished The Seeds of Death. Very good indeed. 

One big difference between old and new Doctor Who is the methods by which the Doctor acts. For instance, in The Seeds of Death, the Doctor personally killed quite a few Ice Warriors with a solar gun he made, and devised a plan to kill their entire invasion fleet. 

No finding a peaceful solution here!

Very much enjoying Patrick Troughton's take but this will be ending soon as we're skipping the animated recreations of the lost ones. 

10 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Don't tell me you skipped The Invasion. 😢

We did. 2 episodes are available as animated recreations and Scott doesn't want to watch these ones. I'll see if he wants to change his mind about that one.

We did just finish The War Games. A huge step towards what we know now as the show. First time we saw the Time Lords (unless they were in an earlier, missing series). I guess the War Chief is also The Master, seems the same character. Very good story indeed.

If you don't fancy the animated version of the missing episodes from The Invasion there is a short video (was originally two short videos, on the VHS release) explaining what happened in the missing episodes so you can still follow the plot easily enough.  Episodes 1 and 4 are missing. 

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We did just finish The War Games. A huge step towards what we know now as the show. First time we saw the Time Lords (unless they were in an earlier, missing series).

First time they were seen; first time they were even named.

The Meddling Monk would be the first Time Lord seen, excluding The Doctor and Susan, I think. "War Games" is first time the term "Time Lord" is used, and Gallifrey isn't named until the 1973/74 Pertwee story "The Time Warrior".