Doctor Who

yoda

21 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

There's a very thin line between "aloof, eccentric brilliant alien" and "Sheldon Cooper" and as the episodes go on Capaldi seems less able to fall on the tolerable side of it

Trust me it does get better. That series you are watching is just torture. 

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

What the shuddering f**k is this Beethoven guitar thing? 

I should say it gets worse before it gets better. The guitar stuff, the endless "Will the doctor die?" pish (clue: no) and so on. 

The Pearl Mackie series is excellent. Just stick with it. And Heaven Sent is a wonderful episode you have to look forward to. Probably my favourite of all Capaldis. 

Thought the start of that was absolutely shite. It grew on me though. Can't decide if I want something to happen between the Doctor and Yaz for #representation or I want her to remain mysterious.

On 29/12/2021 at 20:40, scottsdad said:

I should say it gets worse before it gets better. The guitar stuff, the endless "Will the doctor die?" pish (clue: no) and so on. 

The Pearl Mackie series is excellent. Just stick with it. And Heaven Sent is a wonderful episode you have to look forward to. Probably my favourite of all Capaldis. 

That was a good episode, yes. The guitar's back in the next one. Dear oh dear.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Where are you now @Miguel Sanchez ? Pearl Mackie yet?

Finished the series where Clara goes. Considering I almost managed to be able to tolerate her towards the end I can't believe how shit her ending was. The end of that series in general was terrible, the hybrid thing was barely mentioned throughout and was basically meaningless by the end as well.

The only reason I'm carrying on is because you say the next one's good, so here goes nothing. 

50 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Three and a half minutes in and I can't stand her voice. About another five before I just start tuning her out, I think.

I thought the Bill Pitts character was great, because she was a very ordinary person. After Amy and Clara this was much needed. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I thought the Bill Pitts character was great, because she was a very ordinary person. After Amy and Clara this was much needed. 

She's extremely ordinary! She's from a multi-racial, irregular home, she's a lesbian, she's got an accent and she's got a boy's name. Her outfit has clearly been designed meticulously to look completely random and spontaneous. She's as ordinary as it gets.

I did enjoy her saying the Doctor runs like a penguin with its arse on fire, so at least she might have decent patter.

The reason I've stopped paying as much attention since about midway through Matt Smith relates to the point you're making though. Since it started the companions and stories happened in real places to real people - Rose, Martha and Donna all had lives and families and a real world that were affected by whichever aliens came in to invade each week. The Ponds lived in a village which wasn't real and Clara may as well have been a figment of the Doctor's imagination.

This is fine, but at some point in the last decade all BBC dramas started looking identical. I don't know if they're all filmed in the same place or by the same people but the whole thing looks like a very deliberate TV show. It doesn't matter where an episode of this is set. It could be on a housing estate, a city, a ship, literally anywhere else in the universe, and it all just looks the same, so much so that it looks unreal. The Ponds and Clara at least fit with that since they barely seemed real either but whatever's going on with the filming makes the show a lot less engaging to me than it was before it went to HD.