Doctor Who

yoda

14 hours ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Yeah, the current series has been great. I even enjoyed last week's, which a lot of people weren't so keen on. This week's was the strongest yet, and had an all-time classic cliffhanger, too. 

I'd say if you've never seen any Whittaker episodes, it might make sense to watch Fugitive of the Juddoon, Ascension of the Cybermen and The Timeless Children, first. I expect the storylines from them to be important to the overall Flux plot.

None of the first series is really essential viewing though I rate Rosa and Demons of the Punjab.

Demons of the Punjab was utterly brilliant. The most emotional episode I've ever seen. 

I think when Chibnall is done, he'll be remembered as having 70% dross, 30% brilliance. 

On 21/11/2021 at 23:07, RosspCfc said:

Just catching up there. Really cool again. The Weeping Angels are hands down the best New Who monster. Terrifying.

Finally watched the Angels episode, and agree it was the best yet.  Decent story playing out, great acting from the supporting cast (even JB wasn’t awful), brilliant and properly threatening adversaries.  Really enjoyed it.

BUT, Jodie Whittaker’s characterisation of the Doctor - and I suspect this is not her, but the way it is written - is still wrong for me.  Scenes with her jarred when the rest flowed.  

I thought there was potential with Eccleston being re-cast as the doctor once again. He seemed to be getting into the swing of things again with a few of the radio productions but with RTD back that'll be that dead.

I read a theory today that is...
Spoiler

Inston-Vee Vinder and Bel are the Doctors parents.

It’s also something that Bel said when talking about Vinder…

where she wonders what he looks like now, remembering from the Last Season that it’s the Doctor that was originally able to regenerate not the Timelords and that they just lifted that ability from her!!!

When the Ponds left and Clara turned up back in 2013 I stopped watching. Partly because the show was doing that stupid American thing of having "mid-season breaks" where you see six episodes, then wait six months for the rest by which point you've forgotten everything that had happened, partly because I was extremely upset that Amy Pond wasn't on my television on a regular basis any more. I've now made it up to and past that point and Clara is just absolutely awful in every way.

From what I've seen people say in the past few pages it doesn't get any better from here, does it?

11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

When the Ponds left and Clara turned up back in 2013 I stopped watching. Partly because the show was doing that stupid American thing of having "mid-season breaks" where you see six episodes, then wait six months for the rest by which point you've forgotten everything that had happened, partly because I was extremely upset that Amy Pond wasn't on my television on a regular basis any more. I've now made it up to and past that point and Clara is just absolutely awful in every way.

From what I've seen people say in the past few pages it doesn't get any better from here, does it?

I really enjoyed the Peter Capaldi/Pearl Mackie series. 

Also, the Capaldi era had by far the best "Master"

doctor-who-812.jpg

From when Clara turns up I'd say the following, in order, are all either good or vital to understanding what goes on later (or both). So you could get by just watching these:

"Day of the Doctor" (50th Anniversary Special) - (watch the five or so minute 'minisode' "Night of The Doctor" first).

Also watch the dramatisation "An Adventure In Space and Time" as it is great.

You can watch Smith's farewell "Time of the Doctor" if you like, though it isn't amazing. Maybe just watch the last few minutes for the regeneration and to play "spot the wig".

From Capaldi's first series (8), "Dark Water" and "Death in Heaven" are excellent.

Series 9: watch (at least) "The Magician's Apprentice" and "The Witch's Familiar". 

I enjoy most of series 10. Watch"The Pilot" or the ending of a later episode won't make sense. "Oxygen"/"Extremis"/"The Pyramid at the End of the World" are a fun and fairly original three-parter. The series finale double-episode "World Enough and Time"/"The Doctor Falls" is well worth your time. As is the divisive but, in my opinion, enjoyable, Capaldi final story, "Twice Upon A Time".

For Whittaker (series 11), none is really essential but I like "Rosa" and "Demons of the Punjab".

Series 12, "Fugitive of the Judoon" and "Ascension of the Cybermen"/"The Timeless Children" are very good and essential to understand all of Series 13 (collectively known as "Flux"), which I recommend you watch in full as it has been excellent so far.

Edited by Small Bovine Maisonette

Quite enjoyed the finale though I'm still not completely convinced it's quite as clever as it thinks it is/needs to be to pull everything off. It's doing a much better job of sweeping you along and not giving you much time to pick it apart now though.

After the New Year's special I might do a full rewatch of all the Jodie Whittaker episodes to see if my opinion of her (and Chibnall) improves.

There was maybe a bit too much going on in the final episode, they could easily have got rid of snake man for starters, but I still enjoyed it and glad that the Doctor's origins remain a mystery which they can choose to revisit, or not, depending on what RTD wants to do. Overall, an excellent series.