Doctor Who

yoda

Not overly happy either with a female Doctor or the particular choice of Whittaker, though that's mostly not liking her character in Broadchurch.

I'll stay open-minded and watch it anyway but I hope they come up with a reason the Doctor has changed sexes, as opposed to just saying "Ach, it can happen".

lol misogynistic Tory.

I fully back our Scottish, Gay and female leader. Jog on tosser.

Rodger - "I can't be misogynistic, my party has a female leader"

You have previous for it, don't try & use Ruth as an excuse.

17 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Not overly happy either with a female Doctor or the particular choice of Whittaker, though that's mostly not liking her character in Broadchurch.

I'll stay open-minded and watch it anyway but I hope they come up with a reason the Doctor has changed sexes, as opposed to just saying "Ach, it can happen".

Maybe the fact its an alien who regenerates?

I'm finding the reaction to this a bit bemusing. I've never seen the actress in anything so have no idea how good or bad she'll be.

My biggest worry now is that we'll be stuck with a show which frantically spends every week proving how strong women can be, instead of a just being a show about Doctor who. Almost every show which has "action" and a female lead ends up trying far too hard to make a point, and the writers on this show have dreadful anyway lately. Casting a woman and spending a series proving how strong a woman can be is an easy out for their lack of ideas

I don't mind a female Doctor as long as the writing is up to scratch. Oh, and it's way beyond time we get away from a companion(s) who's a generic UK "yoof". It's time we had another ET of some sort, please?

Mind you, PBS here has been showing old Dr Who serials as single "film length" episodes, 4th, 5th and 6th Doctors. Forgotten how good the writing could be, Baker (obv.) and Davison actually had some good stories, some even great. Baker #2 was just bad, sorry, bad choice, bad scripts and woeful companions (on the subject of which I'd forgotten just how bad Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), Janet Fielding (Tegan), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa, nice arse but bugger all else), Nicola Bryant (Peri) and Mark Srtickson (Turlough) were as actors!). Convesely just how good were Liz Sladen (Sarah-Jane) and Louise Jameson (Leela) in that role?

I'm finding the reaction to this a bit bemusing. I've never seen the actress in anything so have no idea how good or bad she'll be.

My biggest worry now is that we'll be stuck with a show which frantically spends every week proving how strong women can be, instead of a just being a show about Doctor who. Almost every show which has "action" and a female lead ends up trying far too hard to make a point, and the writers on this show have dreadful anyway lately. Casting a woman and spending a series proving how strong a woman can be is an easy out for their lack of ideas

Spot on. I didn't mind Bill as a companion at all, she's been better than the last two in some respects. However I felt they forced the whole 'I'M A LESBIAN' thing into a few too many scenes. Sometimes it worked in the scenario, sometimes it was just cringeworthy. Like you said I've got a funny feeling every episode is going to be a recurring theme of strong, independent women.

The thing I'm most excited about is the change of writer, as every episode reeked of Moffat's smugness towards the end. Never seen Broadchurch so can't say whether it'll be a good change or not, but it can't get much worse.

How dare you criticise Peri.

I love her.

Peri was great!!!

60df76edb681a263a6aa95b3a16cb253.jpg

I'm pretty sure, The Doctor becoming a woman is going to be linked to that weird wee touch of his hand that Missy gave him in the last episode!!!