Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

I know this is a banter/daft type thread and don’t want to make it super serious or dull but if you use Facebook or social media then please watch this if you have the time. I watched a similar longer presentation from him and I think this one sums it up better and quicker.

I look at social media in a totally different way now, it’s your choice to use it but I think everyone should be aware of the problems with it.

Hope this doesn’t came across as preachy or weird but maybe it can help people.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I know this is a banter/daft type thread and don’t want to make it super serious or dull but if you use Facebook or social media then please watch this if you have the time. I watched a similar longer presentation from him and I think this one sums it up better and quicker.

I look at social media in a totally different way now, it’s your choice to use it but I think everyone should be aware of the problems with it.

Hope this doesn’t came across as preachy or weird but maybe it can help people.

Have you seen 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix? Get it seen if you haven't.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:
Are you and [mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] on commission? 

Are you on commission for clownshoes.com?

I'll commission an inquest into your hard drive you patter stealing knave. 

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I think I just hurt my eyes from rolling them so hard.

Another entry to add to my list of “reasons I left Facebook”.

1. It made me judgemental of people I care about. 
2. Like listening to Radio 2, it’s something only old people do. 
3. I already know how and why to wear a face mask. 
4. I have no say or influence whatsoever on whether Donald Trump is re-elected. 
5. To show my teenage children that it was an option. 
6. Because Jesus will kill you if you don’t repost his message

Even the couple in the photo look like they’re pissing themselves laughing at how ridiculous it is.

24 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

You were already judgemental, it just gave you more opportunity. The solution isn't to leave Facebook, it's to be more accepting of others.

Normally when spending time with friends or family, you get to see evidence of both the supportive and destructive aspects of their personalities. You get to understand and appreciate their ups and downs, strengths and vulnerabilities and accept them as a normal human with a healthy emotional diversity in their life. 
On social media, people either seem to be promoting their “perfect lifestyle” or railing against whatever the media has told them to be outraged about today.
Whichever polarised view they are presenting is a pretence to compete in a competition for likes, retweets or whatever feedback is rewarded on that platform.  
It is for being complicit in that artificial competition that I judge them. I quite like most of them in real life.

4 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Normally when spending time with friends or family, you get to see evidence of both the supportive and destructive aspects of their personalities. You get to understand and appreciate their ups and downs, strengths and vulnerabilities and accept them as a normal human with a healthy emotional diversity in their life. 
On social media, people either seem to be promoting their “perfect lifestyle” or railing against whatever the media has told them to be outraged about today.
Whichever polarised view they are presenting is a pretence to compete in a competition for likes, retweets or whatever feedback is rewarded on that platform.  
It is for being complicit in that artificial competition that I judge them. I quite like most of them in real life.

It’s social conditioning I’m pretty sure you could make people like or hate anything and one of the reasons trump managed to win and millions believe the pandemic is a hoax or a conspiracy. People either take one extreme view or dumb down in order to be accepted for likes and the dopamine hit. I’ve seen really nice and intelligent people reduced to addicts to this shite, the scary thing is they don’t even realise how addicted they are. I don’t know how bad it needs to get before governments realise this is as bad as drugs, alcohol or gambling. It’s totally unregulated though and is a Wild West in terms of regulation. I don’t think that anyone can have a positive non mentally harming experience from it. You either switch off or turn into a weirdo. At least that’s how I see these perfect people online, it’s weird as f**k. Like stepford wives or something.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I don’t know how bad it needs to get before governments realise this is as bad as drugs, alcohol or gambling. It’s totally unregulated though and is a Wild West in terms of regulation.

I might be going a bit Black Mirror here, but I can see an end-game whereby the inevitable monetisation of a market based on followers and likes/retweets causes an unsustainable pyramid scheme and the whole thing collapses in on itself.

I don’t think that anyone can have a positive non mentally harming experience from it. You either switch off or turn into a weirdo.

I think that opinion says more about the company you keep online than it does social media.

There are plenty of normal people online who have positive experiences with social media. It's incredibly rare I encounter someone whom I think is posting just for likes. It's a great tool for me to keep in touch with people I know all around the world.

In general it keeps people up to date with the things they're interested in, be it archaeology, economics, sport or origami. For example, a lot of the mainstays of my culinary repertoire I discovered through social media. If you're getting people ranting and showing off then follow some different folk for f**k's sake.

I think that opinion says more about the company you keep online than it does social media.

There are plenty of normal people online who have positive experiences with social media. It's incredibly rare I encounter someone whom I think is posting just for likes. It's a great tool for me to keep in touch with people I know all around the world.

In general it keeps people up to date with the things they're interested in, be it archaeology, economics, sport or origami. For example, a lot of the mainstays of my culinary repertoire I discovered through social media. If you're getting people ranting and showing off then follow some different folk for f**k's sake.
You don't understand, its not the people its the underlying algorithms and design that's nefarious. Its very design makes people conform to be dumbed down or argumentative.
I get that its good for keeping in touch with people but all the stats indicate that its a very negative influence on people. Young people especially. Suicide, mental illness, eating disorders.
Perhaps they should stop whining as well and get better company?
I'd argue that 90% of their problems comes from using this shite daily and being addicted to it.
Good for you that you learned to cook on it but as I said its very design is borderline illegal and at best immoral.
The tide will hopefully turn one day as said and parents will see the effect its having on kids.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/instagram-ranked-worst-for-mental-health-in-teen-survey/

https://techround.co.uk/tech/teen-suicide-rates-rising-since-2009-the-year-social-media-became-available-on-smartphones/