Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

Apart from the fact the word kebab entered the English dictionary in the 17th century and that sushi is not raw fish. The rest of this is 478c5e45521f9e9e69658833b7f74bde.jpg
Oh yeah, I forgot that the British invented pasta sometime after the 1950s

On 31/01/2022 at 08:56, ajwffc said:

Apart from the fact the word kebab entered the English dictionary in the 17th century and that sushi is not raw fish. The rest of this is 478c5e45521f9e9e69658833b7f74bde.jpg

Some interesting historical context that Pompeii had more takeways (or eateries) per person than any modern city.

For much of human history, poverty and economies of scale meant purchasing food communally was very common (moreso than cooking for yourself / your family).

And even more historical context that nostalgia has been around probably for ever, but certainly since the very earliest written human records.

For me, succumbing to nostalgia (and posting pish like the above) is a sign of weakness that I hope I don't fall into. Life is objectively far better now that it was in the 1950s (in the late 1940s more than half the worlds population lived in absolute poverty - it's approximately 9% now).

It's also a sign of arrogance that assuming the time you grew up in is the most pure form of life and everything before or after is wrong. It's nonsense, old people in the 50s probably felt the same about the early 1900s. All complete nonsense.

38 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Some interesting historical context that Pompeii had more takeways (or eateries) per person than any modern city.

For much of human history, poverty and economies of scale meant purchasing food communally was very common (moreso than cooking for yourself / your family).

And even more historical context that nostalgia has been around probably for ever, but certainly since the very earliest written human records.

For me, succumbing to nostalgia (and posting pish like the above) is a sign of weakness that I hope I don't fall into. Life is objectively far better now that it was in the 1950s (in the late 1940s more than half the worlds population lived in absolute poverty - it's approximately 9% now).

It's also a sign of arrogance that assuming the time you grew up in is the most pure form of life and everything before or after is wrong. It's nonsense, old people in the 50s probably felt the same about the early 1900s. All complete nonsense.

campcoffee.jpg

kenny.jpg

Edited by carpetmonster

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Not annoying in the slightest but I did get a wee chuckle at this one.

Screenshot_20220301-073924_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a5ade78d4de2958d4b94bf0e292560b6.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

I'm such a fucking child.

Reminds me of the time some poor old Ethel put a post on Dumbarton Memories along the lines of "who had a glory hole in their house?" *, the thread of which turned out to be the absolute hilarious abomination you would imagine.

She deleted it next day, and added another post stating her disgust at the replies her glory hole post had received. That got deleted the next day after that.

*A glory hole in them days was apparently a big massive cupboard that had pretty much every bit of shitey junk that your family owned.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Some kids burnt a wheelie bin in bannockburn and the consensus is that they are inhaling the burning waste to get hiiiiiigh. 

There must be an easier way. 

Screenshot_20220407-113140_Chrome.jpg

Was all dried banana skins on a radiator when I was a kid and far safer than torching a wheelie bin 

23 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Some kids burnt a wheelie bin in bannockburn and the consensus is that they are inhaling the burning waste to get hiiiiiigh. 

There must be an easier way. 

Screenshot_20220407-113140_Chrome.jpg

It's a slippery slope. You start of with a gateway bin like a waste paper basket, then move onto a plastic garden bin. Next thing you know your melting wheelie bins, then from that onto those big Biffa bins. Sometimes you can wean yourself of them by smoking a bag for life, but by that point its usually to far gone and your on the bins forever.

Horrendous.