Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

10 hours ago, Swarley said:

Aren't these adverts based on your browser history? :ph34r:

There was a show on the telly box last week, where a marketing person was saying that the algorithms also work by reading data on regularly 'nearby' devices.

Can't remember exactly what she was saying about how it works, but if your phone is regularly near, say, a family member's, it uses Bluetooth to read what sites it is connected to, and writes that knowledge into the algorithms it uses on your device. Also, it reads emails in your address book, and if those emails match the login details of other users on Facebook, it uses things that those accounts look at, when deciding what to pitch at you - as in "if those people are friends, then they're possibly interested in the same things".

Would methadone be free in the States tho? I’d imagine you’d at least have a co-pay for the script. 

Well, I know people that can buy weed a lot, lot cheaper than from the official “dispensaries” and much much cheaper than via prescription!

10 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

There was a show on the telly box last week, where a marketing person was saying that the algorithms also work by reading data on regularly 'nearby' devices.

Can't remember exactly what she was saying about how it works, but if your phone is regularly near, say, a family member's, it uses Bluetooth to read what sites it is connected to, and writes that knowledge into the algorithms it uses on your device. Also, it reads emails in your address book, and if those emails match the login details of other users on Facebook, it uses things that those accounts look at, when deciding what to pitch at you - as in "if those people are friends, then they're possibly interested in the same things".

^^^ "Sat next to ICTChris on a bus, it was his dodgy internet browsing history not mine" style post imho

On 12/10/2021 at 15:41, Boghead ranter said:

majority of my mates love the bevvy wheras i havent touched it for years. i never get adverts for booze

On 13/10/2021 at 02:26, Swarley said:

^^^ "Sat next to ICTChris on a bus, it was his dodgy internet browsing history not mine" style post imho

You'd better believe I've got that excuse memorised too.

On 12/10/2021 at 15:41, Boghead ranter said:

I was on holiday up north this week, last night I had a hotel in Aviemore, all the adverts targeted at me were hill walking jackets and wet suits.

Your phone is "talking" to nearby phones.

It's actually quite sinister when ye think about it

I was on holiday up north this week, last night I had a hotel in Aviemore, all the adverts targeted at me were hill walking jackets and wet suits.
Your phone is "talking" to nearby phones.
It's actually quite sinister when ye think about it

Or, the phone knows your location and the manufacturers of those products pay to advertise to people in Aviemore.

The internet is absolute manna for anxious people, or people who aspire to be nervous wrecks.

The idea that a five year old would harm themselves because someone who they called "evil Santa" (and not just Santa) doesn't really stand up to scrutiny either.

I mind when I was wee and this kind of thing would be spread through the playground by a few bairns who had the knack of storytelling and it would put the frighteners up a few others (me) but then those bairns would go home to their parents who would put them straight. Nowadays this pish gets written in red letters on Facebook and otherwise sensible adults would take it as gospel. Terrifying times.