Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

It's been proven to be addictive, and it's designed to be addictive, especially for younger folk.
Yeah. It's odd how internet use and its problems attract such scorn and ridicule. Social media is a multi billion pound industry designed to hook people in multiple layers. It strikes me as an area where we are collectively a good bit behind the curve.

Most (decent) folk probably wouldnt tell someone with a gambling problem just to stop going into ladbroke, or tell an alcoholic they just have to not buy drink anymore to fix their issues.

Unsure why people think problems arising on internet use are so easily solved.

Again though, my opinion is that its generational. People simply not understanding the level of reliance for people who didnt grow up with the level of "online" we have now.

When I (and you) was growing up it was dial up, slow as shit internet, the shoots of social media appearing in our teens, no smartphones or anything. Hardly any of your business conducted on the net. Go ten years younger than us though and it's a massively different story. Then go ten years younger again. You can see why there may be a lack of understanding. Kids are having an immeasurably different childhood to ours

Obviously if people are addicted or are being bullied, etc. that's a whole different kettle of fish.

This thread is full of folk who simply complain that social media is full of shite. These sorts have chosen to read those who post shite instead of following people whose opinions, lives or ideas they find interesting. That is an easily solvable problem.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Obviously if people are addicted or are being bullied, etc. that's a whole different kettle of fish.

This thread is full of folk who simply complain that social media is full of shite. These sorts have chosen to read those who post shite instead of following people whose opinions, lives or ideas they find interesting. That is an easily solvable problem.

Oh aye, as far as seeing shite content goes it's a matter of self policing for the most part I'd say. 

But then, what would folk have to moan about? And we wouldnt have this thread. As a non social media guy I like this thread as a means of confirmation that my choice continues to be the correct one. 

99% of you wont be brave enough to share this

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah. It's odd how internet use and its problems attract such scorn and ridicule. Social media is a multi billion pound industry designed to hook people in multiple layers. It strikes me as an area where we are collectively a good bit behind the curve.

Most (decent) folk probably wouldnt tell someone with a gambling problem just to stop going into ladbroke, or tell an alcoholic they just have to not buy drink anymore to fix their issues.

Again though, my opinion is that its generational. People simply not understanding the level of reliance for people who didnt grow up with the level of "online" we have now.

When I (and you) was growing up it was dial up, slow as shit internet, the shoots of social media appearing in our teens, no smartphones or anything. Hardly any of your business conducted on the net. Go ten years younger than us though and it's a massively different story. Then go ten years younger again. You can see why there may be a lack of understanding. Kids are having an immeasurably different childhood to ours

#ClubDad 😉

I don't look at Facebook nearly as often as I once did and have blocked most of the roasters I was linked to. (I suppose it's a fair assumption that a number of people have also blocked me). However, I'll admit to a wee burst of pleasure whenever I see anything ridiculous because my first thought is "That'll be perfect for the ATPWoF thread."

On 08/10/2020 at 09:53, Busta Nut said:

I kinda disagree about the big bad social media stuff.

It's content is mostly controllable by the user and it's not mandatory.

If it is fucking with anyone so bad they need to stop using it.

I know it isnae great though 

The social media is controlling the user and they don’t even realise it. 
Take a look the next time you’re on a train or somewhere with lots of stationary people. They’re all easily controlling themselves. 
Yes a great deal of them will know it’s a lot of pish and could stop at any time then 30 seconds later....phone picked up again.

If you know someone who is on it all the time tell them to limit it to one hour a day. They can’t do it.

On 08/10/2020 at 13:44, Bairnardo said:

image.png.f1450cfa5298fc10dda7ef02063bcd52.png

Yep, different.

image.png.7a4aeae106a781593c4544d2189449e7.png

Edited by D.A.F.C

I've always assumed that people on here are mainly complaining about shite being posted by people they know, and who they'd get shit from in real life for unfollowing/not replying to. It's quite depressing to discover that almost everyone you know is secretly a full-blown racist/raging head's gone candidate/horrifyingly gullible fool/disconcertingly beige copypaster of fridge magnet/inspirational poster goop.

Closing accounts altogether seems much easier to get away with.

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Closing accounts altogether seems much easier to get away with.

I deactivated my Facebook account a few months back and don’t regret it. 
Unfollowing friends or family simply leads to awkward “Didn’t you see my post?” moments and it’s alarming that people with over 800 “friends”, who you haven’t spoken to in over a decade, will notice and be offended by you dropping them. 

8 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I deactivated my Facebook account a few months back and don’t regret it. 
Unfollowing friends or family simply leads to awkward “Didn’t you see my post?” moments and it’s alarming that people with over 800 “friends”, who you haven’t spoken to in over a decade, will notice and be offended by you dropping them. 

That's because they've copied and pasted that Post, so they don't just see 20 friends.

A whole new Facebook has just reopened to them!!!

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

That's because they've copied and pasted that Post, so they don't just see 20 friends.

A whole new Facebook has just reopened to them!!!

I just pray that they've copied and pasted the appropriate text to prevent Facebook owning all their photographs and to stop Facebook charging them to use it.

15 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Fucking hell. I seem to have triggered some absolute bunny boiler who is now trying to convince me that Travellers do indeed mark houses for prospective dog thefts with cable ties. But not chalk marks. Absolute nutter. 

Similar happened to me the other week who had heard people with a gypsy accent speaking outside their house then noticed a small pile of gravel on their step. When I suggested it was bollocks, they posted their own mum's racist Facebook rant as evidence it was true. 

I've unfollowed most people so unsure if this patter is the norm (only on it now for groups im part of), but all these businesses posting this awful "Niccy has telt ye to stay in eh hoose" patter can absolutely fucking piss off.

Hey everyone for the next (insert days/weeks here) I'm doing the (attention seeking challenge) fitness challenge.
I will proceed to (moan about it) keep you updated every day (six times a day).

f**k me, walking 5k a day is hardly a challenge. Especially when you treat yourself to a giant cake every day as well.

Just deleted the app now instead of moaning about it.

Similar happened to me the other week who had heard people with a gypsy accent speaking outside their house then noticed a small pile of gravel on their step. When I suggested it was bollocks, they posted their own mum's racist Facebook rant as evidence it was true. 
Someone posted a picture of Terry wogan on a lamppost. Getting my TV robbed tomorrow.