Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

8 hours ago, Shotgun said:

From what I understand, gofundme rely on people reporting potential scams. They'll then investigate and if appropriate, shut down the page. If nobody complains, it's all on the honour system.  Which means it's wide open to scammers and there have been numerous examples of people abusing it. Asking for money for what appears to be a good cause, then spending it on something else (Cough cough Grimbo cough cough) for example.

It's especially difficult in cases like this where emotions run high, people are inclined to donate without expecting such a problem, and those who are calling out potential scams are often seen as the bad guys. We had an issue locally where someone started a gofundme, ostensibly to raise funds for a family who'd lost everything in a fire. Someone started asking the founder to explain their relationship to the family and got a shit-ton of abuse for their insensitivity. However, the founder kept avoiding  the question, which made more people suspicious. Turned out they were right and the page was a scam. 

It might not be a bad idea to ask the question yourself - just be aware you could get a bunch of flak for it. Especially if it really is legit.

9.5k now. Thankfully the guy is out of surgery and looks like he'll be OK. 

9 hours ago, Shotgun said:

From what I understand, gofundme rely on people reporting potential scams. They'll then investigate and if appropriate, shut down the page. If nobody complains, it's all on the honour system.  Which means it's wide open to scammers and there have been numerous examples of people abusing it. Asking for money for what appears to be a good cause, then spending it on something else (Cough cough Grimbo cough cough) for example.

It's especially difficult in cases like this where emotions run high, people are inclined to donate without expecting such a problem, and those who are calling out potential scams are often seen as the bad guys. We had an issue locally where someone started a gofundme, ostensibly to raise funds for a family who'd lost everything in a fire. Someone started asking the founder to explain their relationship to the family and got a shit-ton of abuse for their insensitivity. However, the founder kept avoiding  the question, which made more people suspicious. Turned out they were right and the page was a scam. 

It might not be a bad idea to ask the question yourself - just be aware you could get a bunch of flak for it. Especially if it really is legit.

At least the Grimbo money got to its intended recipient. Even if he did splurge it on going on a cruise. That wasn't even the most egregious thing he did though. It was more the fact that he came on here boasting about it. 

Dpd driver got stabbed in Hamilton today by some jakeball. Total shame, guy is sound as f**k - waz his name is, he's done almost all Dpd deliveries I can remember. 
Anyway, someone has set up a gofundme for him, and it's about 4k already. What I want to know is, how do gofundme make sure the money gets to the correct person in this type of situation. I wouldn't mind chucking some notes in but I'm loathe to do so if it's easy scammed. Anyone know the answer to this? I suppose this should be in the quick questions thread but the gofundme is on fb and it annoyed me a bit, so here I am. It doesn't look like the page owner actually knows the guy
I'm the drivers brother in law. The page has been set up by a friend of Waz's sister, so its all above board. He's been overwhelmed by people's best wishes and generosity.
He's still in hospital but recovering well.

Just now, MotownClic said:

I'm the drivers brother in law. The page has been set up by a friend of Waz's sister, so its all above board. He's been overwhelmed by people's best wishes and generosity.
He's still in hospital but recovering well.

Ah brilliant mate. I'll stick some cash in then. Guy is well sound, seems to be the only driver they have in Hamilton. Best wishes to him 👍 

I'm receiving a spate of posts about friends and "friends of friends" having their bicycles stolen.

What do the victims have in common?

1. They post everything as "Public" on Facebook.

2. They have posted pictures of their shiny, expensive bike on Facebook in the last few months.

On 26/05/2020 at 13:21, Funky Nosejob said:

I'm receiving a spate of posts about friends and "friends of friends" having their bicycles stolen.

What do the victims have in common?

1. They post everything as "Public" on Facebook.

2. They have posted pictures of their shiny, expensive bike on Facebook in the last few months.

3. They live in Glasgow.

FTFY

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Would you need to get separate insurance for your bike or would it be covered under your home contents insurance?

Contents insurance usually automatically covers bikes worth up to a stated value (eg Admiral covers bikes worth up to £350). 
Bikes worth over that limit have to be specified on the policy. You can also buy bike insurance separately.

You’d probably get a fuller answer on the cycling thread. 

There was a double murder in Inverness a couple of days ago and the FB comments on the Courier articles are a shambles. Half of them unreadable, the other half being in contempt of court.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There was a double murder in Inverness a couple of days ago and the FB comments on the Courier articles are a shambles. Half of them unreadable, the other half being in contempt of court.

Could be worse though:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/29/barrow-journalist-hounded-out-of-cumbria-for-reporting-court-case

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Fucking Barrow-in-Furness. I used to live near there. Absolutely no surprise to hear that type of story from there. It really is the shithole's shithole.

I used to tune into the Northern Scot online to see what kind of shite was going on in Elgin.

The comments on it were hilarious.

”Lost kitten found 3 streets away” type story.

Comment “Probably trying to get away from Nazi Sturgeon and her cult”  etc etc etc

Yeeeehhh f**k you China [emoji630] Paybacks a bitch 
EE0DF101-F6B6-44C9-9972-445F9B7823A1.thumb.png.2800d5b3429eb6cc79de02e320ca4525.png
88E69C55-46AC-4461-A6AF-AD75AA1B3ABD.thumb.png.2fa9adec9a1f2e4a63b0d5b30fe346a0.png
f**k me gently.

Do these people not have any idea how a capitalist economy works?

The people at the top, let's call them The Bourgeoisie, couldn't give a f**k where their products are made as long as it costs as little capital as possible.

f**k me gently.

Do these people not have any idea how a capitalist economy works?

The people at the top, let's call them The Bourgeoisie, couldn't give a f**k where their products are made as long as it costs as little capital as possible.
These people usually post these on their iPhone.