Annoying things people write on Facebook

Geedub-MFC

I just added a relative of mine, so far all his statuses have been about Brexit, including one today about how Brexit shows up the scourge of class because of the exchanges about public schools in the Commons last night. The guy sent both his kids to fee paying schools.

I enjoy the odd brainteaser ... I just don't understand why folk - usually elderly aunts and Internet newbies - feel the need to add their correct answer. Are they expecting someone to mark it and give them a certificate?
Probably. Is it 34?

1 minute ago, Swarley said:
23 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:
I enjoy the odd brainteaser ... I just don't understand why folk - usually elderly aunts and Internet newbies - feel the need to add their correct answer. Are they expecting someone to mark it and give them a certificate?

Probably. Is it 34?

This is awkward ;)

Just to be an annoying person on not Facebook, how are people getting 34? There are always mutlipe answers to these anyway. For example, I'd go 45 since it fits the pattern

a + b = (a × b) + a
1 + 4 = (1 × 4) + 1 = 4 + 1 = 5
2 + 5 = (2 × 5) + 2 = 10 + 2 = 12
3 + 6 = (3 × 6) + 3 = 18 + 3 = 21
4 + 7 = (4 × 7) + 4 = 28 + 4 = 32
5 + 8 = (5 × 8) + 5 = 40 + 5 = 45

/geek

Just to be an annoying person on not Facebook, how are people getting 34? There are always mutlipe answers to these anyway. For example, I'd go 45 since it fits the pattern

a + b = (a × b) + a
1 + 4 = (1 × 4) + 1 = 4 + 1 = 5
2 + 5 = (2 × 5) + 2 = 10 + 2 = 12
3 + 6 = (3 × 6) + 3 = 18 + 3 = 21
4 + 7 = (4 × 7) + 4 = 28 + 4 = 32
5 + 8 = (5 × 8) + 5 = 40 + 5 = 45

/geek

They are adding the two numbers to the previous answer.

They are adding the two numbers to the previous answer.
Indeed, but there are multiple methods you can justify to get to a final result. For some reason these things (and the other ones with food or bits of fruit or whatever) seem to take over Facebook for a while and all they do is separate the people who remember BODMAS (or PEDMAS for our North American readers) and those who don't. It's baffling but I suppose as someone with an interest in maths I should be happy that there are folk out there who care enough to post?