The Hobbit

Musketeer Gripweed

I see the start of filming has been delayed by another month while Sir Ian McKellen recovers from a stomach ulcer. Possibly a blessing I suppose given the events in New Zealand over the last couple of days.

For those not aware Guillermo Del Toro is not involved in any way with the project now and Sir Peter Jackson is in overall control again. Oh, and surprise surprise, it's being filmed in 3D.<_<

The big question I have is, how are they going to split this into two movies? I know it's been something like 30 years since I read the book, but it's a much more linear book than any of The Lord Of The Rings books.

That said, I can't wait.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way he managed to squeeze each novel into a film was pretty good, however making two films out of the hobbit could be a mistake. Should be an interesting film to see though, but I will not be watching it in 3D.

I'm pretty sure the first film is all of the book and the second is going to bridge the gap between the Hobbit an TLOTR.

I'd imagine that they'll expand on Gandalf pissing off to fight the Necromancer in the Hobbit, which is mentioned but not expanded on.

I'm pretty sure you are right there. Having just looked at the cast list, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom to make an appearance and having seen that, it already makes me feel uneasy. He could really rip the arse out of this.

The reason the Trilogy was so good was because he stayed loyal to the books, apart from ignoring the Tom Bombadil chapters.

I hated the book, probably because I read it as an adult directly after I read the trilogy.

The trilogy conversion was excellent, hopefully this film isn't aimed at whatever audience the book was.

I thought the first half of The Hobbit was like a kids book then the 2nd half was like the two towers with the battle of the five armies.

I'm pretty sure you are right there. Having just looked at the cast list, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom to make an appearance and having seen that, it already makes me feel uneasy. He could really rip the arse out of this.

The reason the Trilogy was so good was because he stayed loyal to the books, apart from ignoring the Tom Bombadil chapters.

The best part of the first LOTR film was ignoring Tom Bombadil completely. He is a complete nothing character.

I thought the first half of The Hobbit was like a kids book then the 2nd half was like the two towers with the battle of the five armies.

The Hobbit was a kids book. As for the films they should be interesting with all the prep GdT and PJ have already done, especially with the design for Smaug. I'll see the movies but probably not in 3D.

The best part of the first LOTR film was ignoring Tom Bombadil completely. He is a complete nothing character.

I made the mistake of saying this to my mates Father in Law, who is something of a Tolkien aficionado. Half an hour of him explaining to me why Bombadil is actually one of the most important characters in the book.

And I'm in the process of reading LOTR again and after trudging through the Bombadil chapters, I still think he's a boring c**t

Really looking forward to it, just to see what they do with it if nothing else, oh btw anyone knoe what part Richard Armitage is supposed to play, because he is a big guy for a small world movie.

I made the mistake of saying this to my mates Father in Law, who is something of a Tolkien aficionado. Half an hour of him explaining to me why Bombadil is actually one of the most important characters in the book.

And I'm in the process of reading LOTR again and after trudging through the Bombadil chapters, I still think he's a boring c**t

Half an hour to say

He gives Merry one of the only weapons that can hurt the Witch King?

Sounds a bit wordy.

Half an hour to say

Sounds a bit wordy.

Oooooh nooooo. There was a load of shit about him representing the ancient times of Middle Earth and his missus being important as well. I forget, because I was bored stupid.

Oooooh nooooo. There was a load of shit about him representing the ancient times of Middle Earth and his missus being important as well. I forget, because I was bored stupid.

Fucking hell, that's some dire shit to have to listen to. If anyone ever gets to involved in Lotr to me I just mention Frodo and Samwise were gay lovers and that the leaf they all smoked was weed and then laugh as their heads explode. I have however added the piss take from Clerks 2 into my repertoire as well. This is coming from someone who enjoys both the books and the films.

Was it just me that was fooled in the book (LOTR, not Hobbit) that Merry died in the battle? I can't remember know what it said but for some reason I thought he died and was surprised when he appeared in the next chapter. It was something about him closing his eyes and suggestive he died (I was unemployed and struggling with booze when I read the books so I may have misjudged it)!

Half an hour to say

Sounds a bit wordy.

Of course, that was hardly Bombadil's original intention. He explicitly warned (not that he needed to) the hobbits to give the place a wide berth. Plus, Tolkein hadn't a feckin' clue himself what was going to happen when he wrote the early chapters. He himself suggested that Book I was in need of an overhaul to bring it into line with the rest of story

Really excited about the Hobbit. Think it will go well on to film and is full of action! Wonder who they will get to play Beorn the bear.

The 2nd film is indeed the gap between the hobbit and fellowship of the ring. Basically explains alot of the stuff in the appendixes. also gives them an excuse to involve actors that were involved in the film trilogy but aren't in the hobbit.

I imagine we will see:

Gandalf off on his quest

Saruman turning from good to evil

Aragorn hunting down Gollum

The demise of the dwarves in Moria

Archived