Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

I think one thing that is overlooked is Jack Gleeson's tremendous performance. I was never really convinced by Sean Bean as Eddard and when I read the books I don't really imagine Ned as being like him.

But Joffrey is spot-on, fantastic casting and a performance that won't be quickly forgotten. I think it's testament to his acting ability that everyone hated him for being a convincing evil protagonist and not as an irrelevant plot device. His character was criminally underused in the books so credit to the writers for developing him more. It's further evident to being a good performance that when I read 'Joffrey' in the books it's his face that immediately pops up and not something pictured in my imagination. Bit of an arse-kissing post but I think his character is/was one of the highlights of the show.

Shame he's retiring from acting.

Edited by Chupacabra

I don't think they put enough information in the episode to be able to work it out yet. The folks saying the clues were there are the ones who evidently knew in advance what to look for. You could just as easily find clues pointing to other people if you'd been looking for those instead.

As for the GRRM discussion - if people don't want to read the books because of their content that's absolutely fine, I understand that (even if I'm a little bit baffled by such squeamishness given the content of the TV show); but to think it makes GRRM a perv or a creep or in any way says anything much about him in that regard is missing the point big time.

Lolita also has scenes of child rape, but Nabokov wasn't a child-abuser and the book is one of the great works of literature.

. With the current king dying without a son, Tomnem would be the next in line

Is that how it works? Surely he's too young and therefore someone like, oh I don't know, The Hand Of The King, would have to rule until he's old enough.

What's that? Tywin Lannister is Hand Of The King and therefore could get to rule?! What an utter coincidence!

It's one theory. I mind when Robert Baratheon was on his death bed and named Ned ruler until Joffrey was old enough.

Is that how it works? Surely he's too young and therefore someone like, oh I don't know, The Hand Of The King, would have to rule until he's old enough.

What's that? Tywin Lannister is Hand Of The King and therefore could get to rule?! What an utter coincidence!

It's one theory. I mind when Robert Baratheon was on his death bed and named Ned ruler until Joffrey was old enough.

Guess it'd be something like has happened in Scottish history with Mary Queen of shots and James iv. Crowned when they were children but obviously they didn't actually rule at this point. Someone ruled in their name

Guess it'd be something like has happened in Scottish history with Mary Queen of shots and James iv. Crowned when they were children but obviously they didn't actually rule at this point. Someone ruled in their name

She ruled the rest of Scotland as well.....

Since this is a War of the Roses fanfic the most famous Regent is Richard III who was next in line then asserted that the young King Edward V was a b*****d and claimed the throne for himself.

Here is a list of characters from GoT and their counterparts in the War of the Roses

Robert = Edward IV

Stannis = Richard III

Renly = George Plantagenet

Cersei = Elizabeth Woodville

Joffrey = Edward V, usurped and killed with his brother in the tower of London

Tommen = Richard of Shrewsbury

Myrcella = Elizabeth of York, maried Henry VII

Aerys II, the Mad King = Henry VI

Rhaegar = Edward of Westminster

Of course the fiction begins if the young King Joffrey (Edward V) can see off his uncle Stannis (Richard III) after the sudden death of his father. GRRM kind of re-adds the Princes in the Tower bit to Lancaster side with Rhaegar's children being killed.

Since this is a War of the Roses fanfic

They had dragons in the War of The Roses?! Who's side were the White Walkers on? And where was the massive 900 foot wall of ice? Also what were the Watch doing during the war?

They had dragons in the War of The Roses?! Who's side were the White Walkers on? And where was the massive 900 foot wall of ice? Also what were the Watch doing during the war?

The watch are neutral during the conflicts of the realm.....duh!

Of course not spoilers

5 books in and The Dragons and White Walkers haven't really done anything yet, at least nothing relevant in Westeros, and no surprise since I'm not sure GRRM likes the high fantasy element of his plot, he is into the political element

From an interview

Where do you get your inspiration?

GRRM: I love historical fiction; but there is a problem. I know a fair bit of history so I know how the historical fiction is going to end! A story on the War of the Roses can only end one way! I like not knowing. The suspense, the tension. I wanted something with the scope of historical fiction without the restrictions of knowing the end.

http://www.sfsite.com/01a/gm95.htm

It is a decent idea. The Blackadder is still a good show despite also being War of the Roses fan fiction. There is nothing wrong with co-opting real history into fictional stories and it is no surprise that the political intrigue around King's Landing has been the best part of the show.

I like the story set up that has been designed within A Game of Thrones but I won't read the books because they contain some reprehensible content.