Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

Thanks.

Am I right in saying that the TV series deviates a lot from the books? (Only seen the first season).

May end up not happening at all.

The extent to which it deviates is generally over-egged a bit. The main differences I can think of are making Daenerys' visit to Qarth a bit more eventful, changing the circumstances around Robb's marriage and revealing Theon is still alive a bit earlier. A few of the characters are aged up, changed slightly or cut but the major plot points are all pretty much there.

Book spoilers

Lady Stoneheart may be cut (no pun intended) but I consider it unlikely, given what I've said. I think it more likely that they didn't introduce her last season (or series, for the anti-Americans among us) because it would dull the impact of the Red Wedding

Edited by The OP

The extent to which it deviates is generally over-egged a bit. The main differences I can think of are making Daenerys' visit to Qarth a bit more eventful, changing the circumstances around Robb's marriage and revealing Theon is still alive a bit earlier. A few of the characters are aged up, changed slightly or cut but the major plot points are all pretty much there.

Book spoilers

Lady Stoneheart may be cut (no pun intended) but I consider it unlikely, given what I've said. I think it more likely that they didn't introduce her last season (or series, for the anti-Americans among us) because it would dull the impact of the Red Wedding

I just don't think it would fit in well in the TV series and would seem ridiculous to some. although if they don't do it they'll need to alter brienne's storyline slightly. The thing mentioned doesn't really have a massive impact in the stories so far and would be easily written out as I think it will be

Book spoilers

Apologies - I didn't mean to ruin anything for anyone either.

I suppose it will depend on how the story develops with Jaime and Brienne as much as anything else, as well as Sansa. It's not essential for the story to progress, but I like Dondarrion so I hope it features.

Book spoilers

Apologies - I didn't mean to ruin anything for anyone either.

I suppose it will depend on how the story develops with Jaime and Brienne as much as anything else, as well as Sansa. It's not essential for the story to progress, but I like Dondarrion so I hope it features.

Book Spoiler:

They have to surely? I know it's not essential but the "WTF" factor is huge (well was for me anyway) and would be even more so for the TV only viewers. A lot of book readers get upset at subtle changes here and there so surely leaving LS out would cause an uproar?

One thing that makes me believe LS will be included was the inclusion of Beric and Thoro's discussion with Arya and the focus on Beric's resurrections in season 3.

Edited by Rossco1893

Finally finished the books and....

BOOK SPOILER

The first three books are long but I found them easy enough to get through, the last two were a real slog. I hope Martin tightens it up for the last two. A few thoughts,

Is there a duller character in any book than Bran Stark? the Ironborn can bore off. Daenerys is tedious in the extreme. It doesn't look good but I hope Jamie is alright, easily one of the better characters. A few of the 'deaths' actually had me cursing out loud firstly Brienne, then Tyrion and lastly John Snow :thumbsdown

This season should be all action, the Purple wedding, The Viper vs The Mountain, Tyrion vs Tywin and the battle for the wall, very confident that it'll look great on screen.

EDIT; To say that it's a book spoiler, just in case.

Edited by Waldo Ponce

Producers saying there will likely be 7 or 8 seasons and they hounded Martin for a week regarding how to end it.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s151/game-of-thrones/news/a557069/game-of-thrones-producers-know-how-george-rr-martins-books-will-end.html

That link doesn't say how many seasons but I read somewhere they were thinking 7 or 8.

Started watching it today & watched all of season 1. Really enjoyable so far. Only disappointments would be (adding spoilers for those who haven't seen it & haven't read every page of this thread)

Ned Stark's death. I know it's Sean Bean so Ned was bound to die sometime, but I felt he was killed off way too early

Drogo's death. Again killed off way too early and in such a poor manner as well. Guy who kills someone by ripping their throat & tongue out and he gets killed by an infected flesh wound?

Started watching it today & watched all of season 1. Really enjoyable so far. Only disappointments would be (adding spoilers for those who haven't seen it & haven't read every page of this thread)

Ned Stark's death. I know it's Sean Bean so Ned was bound to die sometime, but I felt he was killed off way too early

Drogo's death. Again killed off way too early and in such a poor manner as well. Guy who kills someone by ripping their throat & tongue out and he gets killed by an infected flesh wound?

Tbf, that's how both those events pan out in the books and the first series is very loyal to the first book. Think the point of it is to let you know early doors that this isn't like most stories and that no character, no matter how central to the plot, is safe

Wtf, "killed off too early"? :lol: It's a book adaptation, not Eastenders.

Also, given the equivalent time period for reference is, at a push, the Middle Ages, dying of an infected wound is realistic enough.

I know that they're based off the books. But I was aware of the TV series before the books and, whilst having not read the books (something I want to get round to doing), my opinions about the books are the same as the series, since it's basically one book = one series. Even if I read the books before watching the series my opinion on Ned & Drogo would still be the same.

That and it didn't help friends of mine who've watched all 3 series posting videos and gif images of all the deaths so far.

I'll put this in spoilers after the last disaster of a post

My girlfriends almost finished the books so far, and read about a theory which she says makes a lot of sense to her as theres wee hints about it throughout the books.

The first is that Jamie and Cersei (or Tyrion) is the child of Aerys Targaryen

The second is that Jon Snow is a Targaryen. He is the son of Lyanna (Neds sister), and his promise to her was to keep the child safe from Robert

I'll put this in spoilers after the last disaster of a post

My girlfriends almost finished the books so far, and read about a theory which she says makes a lot of sense to her as theres wee hints about it throughout the books.

The first is that Jamie and Cersei (or Tyrion) is the child of Aerys Targaryen

The second is that Jon Snow is a Targaryen. He is the son of Lyanna (Neds sister), and his promise to her was to keep the child safe from Robert

Book Spoilers...

Aye, I'm a believer in the theory that Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, there's certainly a large amount of evidence behind it too. If you have a wee google, you'll find loads of stuff on it. I'm less of a believer in the first one though.

I read one the other week that's gaining momentum where Jon does die at the end of ADWD and comes back as an other to lead the others and his ice dragon in a war of Ice vs Fire against Dany. I don't believe it myself though as I subscribe to Jon = Azor Ahai but it would be pretty cool.

Edited by Rossco1893