Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Who would you have had be king, out of interest? I mean obviously Gendry, but other than him?

They should have had the merest hint of a happy ending, then seen it descend into the sort of infighting and backstabbing that made it so enjoyable in the first place.

They should have had the merest hint of a happy ending, then seen it descend into the sort of infighting and backstabbing that made it so enjoyable in the first place.
Even before the final season I think that's where they were going wrong. It became more and more action-driven rather than character-driven.

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

They may not have played it out in the best manner but there are loads of historical examples who have trodden a similar path.

I agree with that. The descent itself wasn't a misstep. Plenty predicted that. I personally don't think it was done that well, but in the context of the entire cavalcade of shite writing it's sma' tatties.

Jamie giving it "I never really cared for them anyway" line made a joke of his entire story.

I'm not sure how much Martin had to do with the plot beats. I want to slate D&D for eliminating the Night King, having Aria kill him and Bran being king, but I have a feeling that Martin had a hand in some of it. The Night King was the most powerful and fascinating antagonist in the whole thing and they had him killed by someone who just switched dagger hands. Very. Slowly. As has been said before. f**k off.

Anyway. I thought the most GRRM ending would have been the Night King sitting beside a recently Weighted Danarys. Either that or an alive Jon Snow. Or Tyrion. It didn't matter at the end tbh.

14 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm not sure how much Martin had to do with the plot beats. I want to slate D&D for eliminating the Night King, having Aria kill him and Bran being king, but I have a feeling that Martin had a hand in some of it. The Night King was the most powerful and fascinating antagonist in the whole thing and they had him killed by someone who just switched dagger hands.

Not sure how much of this counts as book spoilers 🤔 To be on the safe-ish side

The Night King was a show invention. There's a historical character with the name of the Night's King. 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch who made a Queen of a female Other. But no such character like in the show has appeared in the books. Jon killing Dany was another show invention.

The only part of the above that's meant to be part of the book ending is Bran becoming King. That was something that GRRM told D&D.

It seems that once GRRM stopped writing episodes he left D&D to it. There's significant differences between the show & books after a certain point.

20 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Agreed but I think Cersei not meeting her end at the hands of another character was ridiculous. She was responsible for some of the most torturous deaths, and it would have produced a high degree of viewer satisfaction to see Cersie suffer a similar fate. And with Cersei being on Aryas list it would have tied in well. 

You could spend hours going through all the idiocy in those last two seasons. Daenerys’ character was completely destroyed, literally 6 seasons of ‘breaker of chains’ to ultimately commit genocide on the civilians of Kings Landing. 

Ive read the first two books of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I seen it being said that there is almost no chance that GRRM will ever finish the last two books, and it’s put me off even bothering to read on. If my lasting memory of how the series concludes is bloody Bran becoming King after Tyrion makes a case for him in the dragon pit, then I would rather forget about it. A series that was so popular for so long has almost became toxic due to two men who thought anything they ever touched would turn to gold. 

She was a psycho from episode 3 or something and we were shown this at shitloads of opportunities. 

20 hours ago, velo army said:

The thing about that though is it becomes too much of an opportunity for Deus ex machina if she can become just anyone and would be unsatisfying and a bit too "mission impossible". She had the thickest of thick plot armour too and was ludicrously unkillable. I think that her list should have been part of her character arc. As a child she was motivated by revenge, hence the list. She then goes to train as a faceless man so that she can then enact her revenge. While training she learns humility and service to something greater, so let's go of her childish need fir revenge. She then stays to further serve and train others. Arc complete. 

She was cutting about with nothing to do when she came back. And she killed the night king, with whom she had no previous connection. f**k off.

Her arc was actually discovering that the faceless men were not just a horrible death cult but actually just a bunch of mercs for hire. There was no justice in how they operated. And they were not going to help her get revenge.

Stabbing Arya about 20 times and dumping her in the canal was imo a visual mistake. 1 good plunge and a stumble over the bridge would have been better.

On 18/06/2022 at 10:12, Stellaboz said:

...Nope and finally Bran becoming King. f**k right off.

The problem was they took out so many of the fantasy elements of the book (Lady Stoneheart, Euron's trip to Slavers Bay, Marwen and the glass candles etc) and kept characters like Cersei and Bronn around far longer than GRRM probably intends to while killing off Stannis prematurely and completely dumping Young Griff to bulk up Kit Harrington's part that they should have come up with their own ending.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 18/06/2022 at 19:11, Albus Bulbasaur said:

She was a psycho from episode 3 or something and we were shown this at shitloads of opportunities. 

Really? So the whole ‘breaker of chains’ act was just a front. She literally spent at least 6 seasons proclaiming to be nothing like her ancestors, notably ‘the Mad King’, who famously burnt the civilians of Kings Landing to death. If she was destined to repeat those actions in the final season I don’t think they did a great job of foreshadowing it.

She spent years assembling an army to take across the water to Westeros, liberating towns and cities across Essos as she went. If she was ultimately just going to become a murdering tyrant, what was the need in making such a show of freeing these civilians from centuries of slavery. 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Really? So the whole ‘breaker of chains’ act was just a front. She literally spent at least 6 seasons proclaiming to be nothing like her ancestors, notably ‘the Mad King’, who famously burnt the civilians of Kings Landing to death. If she was destined to repeat those actions in the final season I don’t think they did a great job of foreshadowing it.

She spent years assembling an army to take across the water to Westeros, liberating towns and cities across Essos as she went. If she was ultimately just going to become a murdering tyrant, what was the need in making such a show of freeing these civilians from centuries of slavery. 

Surely the point of all of that was that she was fighting a losing battle against her DNA/destiny as a Targaeryan? It was always in there, and despite her best efforts eventually she couldnt resist it. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely the point of all of that was that she was fighting a losing battle against her DNA/destiny as a Targaeryan? It was always in there, and despite her best efforts eventually she couldnt resist it. 

I get that, but the way it was conveyed on screen was that she lost the plot in a moment of madness and decided to burn a city to the ground. I can understand the viewpoint that the mad Targarayen blood was too much to overcome and in the end she was no better than her brother or dad, but there wasn’t much in the 7 seasons prior that pointed to that imo. 

On 23/06/2022 at 23:37, IrishBhoy said:

Bruh she literally burnt countless people alive and crucified people. She was cray cray the whole time. 

On 25/06/2022 at 14:48, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Bruh she literally burnt countless people alive and crucified people. She was cray cray the whole time. 

I can see your point, but there’s a difference between executing slave masters or army generals who were trying to murder her, and civilians on the street. 

• 1 year later...