Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Like any good story that pulls you in so emotionally, you expect a pay off deserving of everything that came up to that point. When you're let down so badly, that's what happens: you get people reacting angrily.

Is it rational? Probably not.

Do I give a f**k? I gave too much of a f**k!

Aye, it would be a joyless existence if one couldn't occasionally suspend reality and allow yourself to be taken in by something that, in the grand scheme, doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
Fucking go back and redo the finish and then I'll be interested. Until then, fucking bury the whole universe. And fucking kill Mr G Martin for being a complete dickhead and not finishing the novels.

Amazing how worked up people can get about a TV programme.

You're on a forum for folk who get worked up about men booting a ball around a field. Sit Doon with that reductive pish.

Studios in general and GRRM in particular have been utter shite at reading the room. They seem to believe that because people loved GoT that they'll love any content related to it and should just consume it without question.

I stopped giving much if a shit in series 6 but series 7 destroyed any lingering goodwill and patience towards the series. It's remarkable how a cultural phenomenon could go from being ubiquitous and beloved to loathed or forgotten so quickly.

Martin seems more interested in conventions and daft wee side projects than putting in the spadework to finish the books. He also misunderstands his relationship with fans. Fans have invested in the world and story he created, not in him or the GoT brand. Fans don't give a shit about prequels now when he flubbed the series (TV and books) so badly.

Having a Jon Snow series makes little sense. His character stopped developing after he was resurrected and he was just so badly written from about series 6. But TV series are seen as franchises now and viewers seen as mindless consumers who should be satisfied with the dopamine hit of mere recognition and nostalgia. 

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

You're on a forum for folk who get worked up about men booting a ball around a field. Sit Doon with that reductive pish.

Studios in general and GRRM in particular have been utter shite at reading the room. They seem to believe that because people loved GoT that they'll love any content related to it and should just consume it without question.

I stopped giving much if a shit in series 6 but series 7 destroyed any lingering goodwill and patience towards the series. It's remarkable how a cultural phenomenon could go from being ubiquitous and beloved to loathed or forgotten so quickly.

Martin seems more interested in conventions and daft wee side projects than putting in the spadework to finish the books. He also misunderstands his relationship with fans. Fans have invested in the world and story he created, not in him or the GoT brand. Fans don't give a shit about prequels now when he flubbed the series (TV and books) so badly.

Having a Jon Snow series makes little sense. His character stopped developing after he was resurrected and he was just so badly written from about series 6. But TV series are seen as franchises now and viewers seen as mindless consumers who should be satisfied with the dopamine hit of mere recognition and nostalgia. 

Hard to disagree. And there will be utter bewilderment from the studio bosses when these new shows just don't bring in the numbers of viewers. 

On the books, up to the end of part 2 of A Storm of Swords was brilliant. I really, really loved them. Then he started splitting the books into Kings Landing/Everywhere Else and they lost momentum. A Dance of Dragons was an utter slog, clearly rushed out to try to capitalise on the success of the show. I reckon that GRRM, in his 70s now, simply hasn't the energy to keep churning out these massively complicated books any more. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Hard to disagree. And there will be utter bewilderment from the studio bosses when these new shows just don't bring in the numbers of viewers. 

On the books, up to the end of part 2 of A Storm of Swords was brilliant. I really, really loved them. Then he started splitting the books into Kings Landing/Everywhere Else and they lost momentum. A Dance of Dragons was an utter slog, clearly rushed out to try to capitalise on the success of the show. I reckon that GRRM, in his 70s now, simply hasn't the energy to keep churning out these massively complicated books any more. 

Aye I reckon he's afraid that if he comes out and says that there will be no more books then it's over for him, so he has to keep posting deadlines that he'll never meet (while getting pissy at fans for criticising this) or distracting people with "look, some of those dragons you like!!" or "remember Jon Snow? Here he is again!!(cue applause)" type projects.

I think you're right though. He doesn't have the energy, and he might not even know how to finish them. 

Perhaps one day Brandon Sanderson will get round to finishing them. Nobody will care by then.

To the bit in bold, studios seem to be staffed by children these days who go into full blame and deflection mode when their projects aren't popular. Toxic fans, trolls and misogynists/racists are terms frequently wheeled out to gaslight those who know shite writing or disrespect of the world and lore when they see it. I suspect that "toxic fans" (i.e. those who care the most about the world and lore and don't want to be treated as mere customers) will be blamed if either of the spinoffs fail to take off.

You're on a forum for folk who get worked up about men booting a ball around a field.

At the time, sure, vent your annoyance but still on The Verge of Tears[emoji769] more than three years later? Come on.

If a Thistle fan was posting today about having Doncaster murdered due to our relegation I'd be saying the same thing.

52 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

At the time, sure, vent your annoyance but still on The Verge of Tearsemoji769.png more than three years later? Come on.

If a Thistle fan was posting today about having Doncaster murdered due to our relegation I'd be saying the same thing.

I still don't like to be reminded of the relegation playoff in 1996. All other relegations have been inevitable and deserved (including the one you mentioned), but hearing the name Brian Welsh lowers my mood. I know many Scotland fans who are still sore about the Italy game in 2007. 

It sounds like you don't understand what stories and fiction can mean to people. The anger is more like  irritation than anything else. There isn't  anyone organising protests about it, but people investing in stories, especially fantasy worlds, is a beautiful and powerful thing. It involves the vulnerability of allowing others to take you on a magical journey, off on an adventure. It is important and, like in any relationship (for that is what we have with the creators and characters) we want that trust to be respected, and the world and stories to be treated as important.

Benioff and Weiss didn't honour the world that much (too much thick plot armour, too many characters being stupid) and rushed the ending as they wanted to move on to other things. Martin giving it to them was a mistake. 

So aye, not verge of tears territory, but proportionately rattled 😉.

There are plenty of sporting moments which I don't remember fondly, but I don't think I'll look back on the Ukraine game in three years and post something like this having never watched a Scotland match since.

Fucking go back and redo the finish and then I'll be interested. Until then, fucking bury the whole universe. And fucking kill Mr G Martin for being a complete dickhead and not finishing the novels.
I understand he may not have been entirely serious, but a piece of fiction is something that comes and goes fairly quickly. We're used to putting them to bed and moving on to the next thing. Football isn't like that.

It's still real to me, damnit
Just join the rest of us in the collective conscious amnesia. GoT was just a weird dream we all experienced, and like a dream it's rapidly faded from memory, vanished from our hard drives both literal and metaphorical.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Benioff and Weiss didn't honour the world that much (too much thick plot armour, too many characters being stupid) and rushed the ending as they wanted to move on to other things. Martin giving it to them was a mistake. 

So aye, not verge of tears territory, but proportionately rattled 😉.

This video was recommended to me on YouTube the other day after not seeing anything about GoT for months. I watched it during a break at work and actually found myself angry at how badly written the last 2 seasons were, to the point where I genuinely think I would have been able to tie the show up in a better manner. 

If you’ve not seen that video before I would recommend it. The guy does a good job in absolutely eviscerating D&D, and it’s an affront that they are still involved in high level production. 

One of my biggest disappointments from the last 2 seasons was how little Arya was able to use her skills as a faceless man. She travelled across the narrow sea to get to the House of Black and White, spent months getting bullied by the Waif, nearly died after being stabbed in the stomach, became blind and had to fight to keep her life. All that torture and struggle and she never bothered to use a face to become someone else. I remember when I was waiting for season 8 to start thinking about all the people she could kill and then use their face to kill another character like she did with Walder Frey. Instead she came back from Braavos as some sort of Jackie Chan apprentice, flying so fast through the air that even the white walkers couldn’t catch her.

She never even got to kill everyone that was on her list, and I was certain it was going to be Arya that killed Cersei, possibly using the face of Jaime Lannister. Instead we got Jaime and Cersei killed by a few bricks. If anyone in the full series deserved an exciting and unexpected death it was Cersei. It’s verging on criminal how badly those last few episodes were written. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

All that torture and struggle and she never bothered to use a face to become someone else. I remember when I was waiting for season 8 to start thinking about all the people she could kill and then use their face to kill another character like she did with Walder Frey.

WTF are you even saying here.

She never used a face!!! grrr. Except from that time she used a face.

I have just given up on anything "franchise" over the past couple of years. Its just incoherent action, nostalgia beats and exposition that is meaningless and ultimate has no consequences. 

I do not care if any GOT content makes it to the TV.

59 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

....All that torture and struggle and she never bothered to use a face to become someone else....

She became Walter Frey at one point and offed all his sons with poisoned wine. Another of many indications that the show was heading into a death spiral. There's talk of a Jon Snow spinoff north of the wall today. Hard to see how that works unless they resurrect the White Walkers or Drogon, the Dothraki or the Unsullied show up looking for some revenge.

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

WTF are you even saying here.

She never used a face!!! grrr. Except from that time she used a face.

Aye. I meant in the last 2 seasons when she went back to Winterfell and then Kings Landing. I’m aware she used it to kill Walder Frey and his family.
There was so many opportunities for her to use the faces in the last 2 seasons. She could have used Littlefingers face after he was executed at Winterfell to gain access to Cersei at Kings Landing. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

28 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye. I meant in the last 2 seasons when she went back to Winterfell and then Kings Landing. I’m aware she used it to kill Walder Frey and his family.
There was so many opportunities for her to use the faces in the last 2 seasons. She could have used Littlefingers face after he was executed at Winterfell to gain access to Cersei at Kings Landing. 

The thing about that though is it becomes too much of an opportunity for Deus ex machina if she can become just anyone and would be unsatisfying and a bit too "mission impossible". She had the thickest of thick plot armour too and was ludicrously unkillable. I think that her list should have been part of her character arc. As a child she was motivated by revenge, hence the list. She then goes to train as a faceless man so that she can then enact her revenge. While training she learns humility and service to something greater, so let's go of her childish need fir revenge. She then stays to further serve and train others. Arc complete. 

She was cutting about with nothing to do when she came back. And she killed the night king, with whom she had no previous connection. f**k off.

12 minutes ago, velo army said:

The thing about that though is it becomes too much of an opportunity for Deus ex machina if she can become just anyone and would be unsatisfying and a bit too "mission impossible". She had the thickest of thick plot armour too and was ludicrously unkillable. I think that her list should have been part of her character arc. As a child she was motivated by revenge, hence the list. She then goes to train as a faceless man so that she can then enact her revenge. While training she learns humility and service to something greater, so let's go of her childish need fir revenge. She then stays to further serve and train others. Arc complete. 

She was cutting about with nothing to do when she came back. And she killed the night king, with whom she had no previous connection. f**k off.

Agreed but I think Cersei not meeting her end at the hands of another character was ridiculous. She was responsible for some of the most torturous deaths, and it would have produced a high degree of viewer satisfaction to see Cersie suffer a similar fate. And with Cersei being on Aryas list it would have tied in well. 

You could spend hours going through all the idiocy in those last two seasons. Daenerys’ character was completely destroyed, literally 6 seasons of ‘breaker of chains’ to ultimately commit genocide on the civilians of Kings Landing. 

Ive read the first two books of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I seen it being said that there is almost no chance that GRRM will ever finish the last two books, and it’s put me off even bothering to read on. If my lasting memory of how the series concludes is bloody Bran becoming King after Tyrion makes a case for him in the dragon pit, then I would rather forget about it. A series that was so popular for so long has almost became toxic due to two men who thought anything they ever touched would turn to gold. 

You could spend hours going through all the idiocy in those last two seasons. Daenerys’ character was completely destroyed, literally 6 seasons of ‘breaker of chains’ to ultimately commit genocide on the civilians of Kings Landing. 

They may not have played it out in the best manner but there are loads of historical examples who have trodden a similar path.

Actually I thought Dany's slow descent into madness was done really well.

It was more the manner of Cersei's death, Jaime's shit story arc after helping Brienne, Arya's inability to die after being stabbed to f**k then killing the NK randomly, Grey Worm keeping Jon alive after killing Dany?! Nope and finally Bran becoming King. f**k right off.