Game of Thrones

DavidMcG

55 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes. They dont even have the slightest reference to it in the wee village, id have thought they’d try and capitalise on it but absolutely not. 

That's crazy! They should absolutely highlight it somehow, even if it's a small info board on the edge of the square somewhere. Are there any other filming sites nearby?

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

That's crazy! They should absolutely highlight it somehow, even if it's a small info board on the edge of the square somewhere. Are there any other filming sites nearby?

I know, its got lots of churches and convents in the walls they seem to focus on that. Theres about 10/12 different places around Malta, the bit from the wedding was filmed there, various bits around Ned being killed and some of the other Dothraki stuff. Given they’re struggling big time over here id have thought someone would take a punt at a game of thrones tour or something. 

I know, its got lots of churches and convents in the walls they seem to focus on that. Theres about 10/12 different places around Malta, the bit from the wedding was filmed there, various bits around Ned being killed and some of the other Dothraki stuff. Given they’re struggling big time over here id have thought someone would take a punt at a game of thrones tour or something. 

Dubrovnik is a bit shitter with all the Thrones tourism tbh

On 26/07/2021 at 11:00, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes. They dont even have the slightest reference to it in the wee village, id have thought they’d try and capitalise on it but absolutely not. 

Probably because Mellieha in Malta has the Popeye village and the Popeye tourist money just keeps rolling in.

24 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Probably because Mellieha in Malta has the Popeye village and the Popeye tourist money just keeps rolling in.

Cherished childhood memory

13 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Cherished childhood memory

Totally, my folks used to have a timeshare in St Paul's bay during the 80s and 90s, I'm surprised it's still going, always felt that it was one discarded cigarette away from going up in smoke.

Edited by stevieKTID

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/07/2021 at 10:56, Stellaboz said:

I was over in Northern Ireland a few years ago visiting family, and my cousin took me to the waterfall where the Hound takes a shower while Arya sits on a nearby rock. That scene lasted about 15 seconds but there is an information board up showing pictures of The Hound etc.

Edited by IrishBhoy

Not sure House of the Dragon is going to be up to much having read the book. Different narrative style from ASoIaF with no point of view characters so the writing material doesn't have the high quality dialogue in it that made the first few seasons of GoT so great. It's written as a history book a long time after the events, which is an interesting concept as the reader has to decide what is factual and what is myth in a history is written by the winners sort of way. The directing team will have to bring it to life and do a much better job than Benioff & Weiss did when they moved past the book material.

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2021 at 20:29, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There are tours, but I was there last month and they weren’t running. No idea if it was COVID or time of the year. 

I wonder if it’s not well publicised after the damage caused during filming, plus trying to preserve history I’m guessing. 

1 hour ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

There are tours, but I was there last month and they weren’t running. No idea if it was COVID or time of the year. 

I wonder if it’s not well publicised after the damage caused during filming, plus trying to preserve history I’m guessing. 

I think theres an element of the authorities preferring to focus on their own bits of history over the tv show and thats fine, but feeding their history into the context of a tour of locations for me would have been easier to engage. Must have been covid that put a stop to it for our visit too, a beautiful country id def visit again. 

25 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think theres an element of the authorities preferring to focus on their own bits of history over the tv show and thats fine, but feeding their history into the context of a tour of locations for me would have been easier to engage. Must have been covid that put a stop to it for our visit too, a beautiful country id def visit again. 

Yeah I’m definitely planning on going back, it’s stunning. 

Anyone read the books? I bought the full set off eBay at the start of lockdown last March, and planned to fire through them all. When I seen the thickness of the books and the rather small print, I ended up not bothering.

I’ve started a new night time routine however, where I put the TV off half an hour before I go to sleep and spend that time reading. I’ve easily got 100 books that I’ve bought and never finished so I took the first book, ‘A Game of Thrones’, down from the shelf with the aim of actually finishing it and I’m pleased to say I did,  within 3 weeks. It’s by far the thickest book I’ve ever read and it helped that it was written in such a way that you were desperate to get to the next page. The chapters describing Catelyn Starks journey to the Eeyrie and back were brilliant and I can’t believe some of that wasn’t in the TV show.

I don’t know wether I would have rather read the books before the TV show though, as I like to imagine what each character looks like myself instead of already having a preconceived image in your head. There’s plenty of characters in the first book who don’t make an appearance on the TV show thought so it’s not so bad. I will keep firing through the books and hope that R.R. Martin can be bothered to finish The Winds of Winter by the time I’m ready for it.