Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

Fs, my wee brother got all the books for his birthday - so tempted to read them rather than wait but don't wanna ruin the tv series in terms of shocking me seen as it's that I started on. Dilemmas!

I watched season 1 & 2 then read the books before season 3.

I am back to watching season 1 again.

It's such a big story with so many characters that you pick up something with each watch/read.

I just finished watching the season 3 there and I'm now beginning to go back and read the first couple of books before season 4 comes out next year.

I've just realised I have the books on my Kindle, I'm not sure if I should read them though.

Do you think I should finish watching it before reading?

I've just realised I have the books on my Kindle, I'm not sure if I should read them though.

Do you think I should finish watching it before reading?

Reading Game Of Thrones on the Kindle before watching it was murder for me, as I kept on having to flick around the book to remember who every character was, e.g. guys like Petyr Baelish who is also known as Littlefinger, was annoying as they called him both names throughout the books, which did confuse me, and there was also characters you forgot about who come back into the story. So by watching it, I was able to put a face to the character and remember the names of the characters even more (hopefully what I put makes sense). Overall, watching it first was for better for me.

Reading Game Of Thrones on the Kindle before watching it was murder for me, as I kept on having to flick around the book to remember who every character was, e.g. guys like Petyr Baelish who is also known as Littlefinger, was annoying as they called him both names throughout the books, which did confuse me, and there was also characters you forgot about who come back into the story. So by watching it, I was able to put a face to the character and remember the names of the characters even more (hopefully what I put makes sense). Overall, watching it first was for better for me.

Yeah I'll watch it before I read it.

I'd never even noticed it on my kindle.

Didn't start reading the books till after the 1st Series and have to admit to putting all the actors faces to the characters as I was reading, for example, whenever I was reading about Ned Stark I was picturing Sean Bean and this went for all the other main characters as well!!!

The problem has started a bit for me this Season when new characters have appeared, for example Mance Rayder, Ramsey Snow and Edmure Tully, who look f**k-all like I pictured them in my head (James Purefoy, Robert Carlyle and Kevin McKidd respectively - if you're interested), but I'm pretty sure when I get round to rereading them before the next one comes out, the actors will all be ingrained in my head!!!

Glad to say the only one I did get right, in my head and on TV, was Brynden Tully - The Blackfish, played by East Fife Uberfan Clive Russell!!! ;)

Edited by King Kebab

Quite good that they aren't going for white, British actors. I'm hoping they really put emphasis on the difference between Dorne and the rest of the seven kingdoms..

Me too, putting the emphasis on the Dornish possibly being of the Hispanic nature would be perfect in my eyes! ESP when it comes too the ladies!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!

I just finished season 3, I don't know how to put spoilers in on my phone, but the above sums up my feelings.

What is the title of the first book? I'm going to start reading them.

First one is just 'A game of thrones'. 200 pages into it myself

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

How are the books structured?

Is book one season one basically?

Pretty sure it is ye then I think it gets a bit more complicated. So far anyway it seems season 1 is very loyal to the book but from what I've heard that changes with 2 and 3 as with most adaptations I suppose

Would need someone else to answer that for sure though

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Seasons one and two has covered book one and two respectively. Third season got roughly halfway through the third book (some characters stories are further through the book timeline than others in this one though).

I watched all three seasons in about a week. I can't watch them one a week, not for any show, which everyone says is a bit strange.

It took me three episodes to properly get into it. The first episode was incredibly slow, and then the second one hurtled past. After that, it was amazing. The acting, settings and everything are amazing.

I didn't find the wedding as shocking as everyone else did but I think it's because my expectations were raised so high for the Battle of Blackwater episode and everything hasn't been as good. Probably also because I'm beginning to think (and I think they showed with the red priestess) it's just everyone fighting and then they'll have to join together to fight the White Walkers until Mother of Dragons shows up.

BUT there has been so many twists and turns I don't think that'll happen. Can't wait for season 4.

Book spoiler, this is just my opinion but i'd still stay well away if not read the books.

one of the things that disappointed me with the books is the way that up to book 3, the plotline seemed to be falling neatly into place and there seemed to be a structured, cohesive plot, but for me books 4 and 5 seemed to completely derail this and ended up with all sorts of crazy deviations and seemed to throw everything on its head to the point that we almost have a completely new story with mainly new characters, or the ones that remained changed massively from where they started.

I read the books a year ago so maybe I've forgotten some important parts, but it just doesn't seem like it did in the first 3 books.

AFFC and ADWD run together in the timeline, with AFFC focusing mainly on Dorne and the Ironborn. It can be confusing and I was initially disappointed with AFFC, but in subsequent re reads I actually now love it. The 'new' characters are essential to the story.

I like the fact everything isn't falling neatly into place. The twists and turns of the story are what appeals to me the most I think.

What characters do you think have massively changed, out of interest? I don't disagree as such, but I think any changes are simply character progression and again are needed to tell the story.

lots of book spoilers

Yep, I think that the fact they run concurrently kinda throws things, and it may just have got too far reaching for me to keep up with, but I didn't liek the way they went with Tyrion and Arya. John Snow and the black watch just got out of control, Danaerys seems to languish on the wrong side of the planet, Stannis' army gets stuck in the snow. Kings landing seems to also be falling apart, Cersei loses it completely.

I'd prob need to read through it all again and would maybe pick up on it a bit better, but I think there was a certain expected narrative that I would have liked to see come together, the way it seemed to be doing. I can appreciate that many people will like the way it doesn't do this, but I think I just kinda got lost and it seemed to become a different story altogether.