Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

On 10/11/2019 at 16:03, Stellaboz said:
On 10/11/2019 at 14:27, NotThePars said:
Honestly believe D&D got ditched after that Twitter thread was posted showing that they clearly didn’t understand the source material and pretty much fluked their way into succeeding with the show.

Got a link?

It's definitely genuine and has been widely reported on in GoT fan circles. There were signs things were going seriously off the rails on quality even before Season 8 with, for example:

(i) The Bravos scenes after Arya got stabbed by the Waif when Arya clearly should have died after swimming with severe stab wounds in what was probably effectively an open sewer,

(ii) the less than convincing way the Freys all got offed and Arya was able to escape in the aftermath,

(iii) Bronn's rescue of Jaime when the latter clearly should have drowned given his heavy armour,

(iv) and most importantly when Gendry ran back to the wall and a raven was sent to summon Danerys and the dragons, with both the ravens and the dragons  needing to fly as fast as a jumbo jet for the story's timeline to make sense.

Most fans seemed to be oblivious to it and were still lapping it up. If more had complained maybe HBO would have told D&D that their writing wasn't up to snuff and that they needed to get GRRM more involved again.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes. They dont even have the slightest reference to it in the wee village, id have thought they’d try and capitalise on it but absolutely not. 

That's crazy! They should absolutely highlight it somehow, even if it's a small info board on the edge of the square somewhere. Are there any other filming sites nearby?

9 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

That's crazy! They should absolutely highlight it somehow, even if it's a small info board on the edge of the square somewhere. Are there any other filming sites nearby?

I know, its got lots of churches and convents in the walls they seem to focus on that. Theres about 10/12 different places around Malta, the bit from the wedding was filmed there, various bits around Ned being killed and some of the other Dothraki stuff. Given they’re struggling big time over here id have thought someone would take a punt at a game of thrones tour or something. 

I know, its got lots of churches and convents in the walls they seem to focus on that. Theres about 10/12 different places around Malta, the bit from the wedding was filmed there, various bits around Ned being killed and some of the other Dothraki stuff. Given they’re struggling big time over here id have thought someone would take a punt at a game of thrones tour or something. 

Dubrovnik is a bit shitter with all the Thrones tourism tbh

On 26/07/2021 at 11:00, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes. They dont even have the slightest reference to it in the wee village, id have thought they’d try and capitalise on it but absolutely not. 

Probably because Mellieha in Malta has the Popeye village and the Popeye tourist money just keeps rolling in.

24 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Probably because Mellieha in Malta has the Popeye village and the Popeye tourist money just keeps rolling in.

Cherished childhood memory

13 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Cherished childhood memory

Totally, my folks used to have a timeshare in St Paul's bay during the 80s and 90s, I'm surprised it's still going, always felt that it was one discarded cigarette away from going up in smoke.

Edited by stevieKTID

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/07/2021 at 10:56, Stellaboz said:

I was over in Northern Ireland a few years ago visiting family, and my cousin took me to the waterfall where the Hound takes a shower while Arya sits on a nearby rock. That scene lasted about 15 seconds but there is an information board up showing pictures of The Hound etc.

Edited by IrishBhoy

Not sure House of the Dragon is going to be up to much having read the book. Different narrative style from ASoIaF with no point of view characters so the writing material doesn't have the high quality dialogue in it that made the first few seasons of GoT so great. It's written as a history book a long time after the events, which is an interesting concept as the reader has to decide what is factual and what is myth in a history is written by the winners sort of way. The directing team will have to bring it to life and do a much better job than Benioff & Weiss did when they moved past the book material.