Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

GRRM is bound to be pishing himself laughing, having pocketed the TV cash for nigh on a decade & still have the fallback of two future books to correct the pish dodgy scriptwriters have come up with. A true 'master of coin'.

If you're upset about dodgy writing and an imperceptible story line then it's best that you skip past 75% of the book material as well. He could do with an editor just as much as a treadmill tbh.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you're upset about dodgy writing and an imperceptible story line then it's best that you skip past 75% of the book material as well. He could do with an editor just as much as a treadmill tbh.

I think that when the TV producers had his material to work with, they did a half decent job of pruning the flab off it and changing what needed to be changed to make it work on TV.  Once they didn't have his material to work with it all goes downhill quite quickly.

The books, especially the last 2 are bloated as f**k. You could probably cut the number of pages in half by taking all the descriptions of food and people eating, out of them.

'Grease dribbled down his chin'

Aye ? No shit George.

48 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The books, especially the last 2 are bloated as f**k. You could probably cut the number of pages in half by taking all the descriptions of food and people eating, out of them.

Aye ? No shit George.

And the half a page rambling descriptions that could just have been "Tyrion put on a jacket".

On 20/05/2019 at 16:28, J_Stewart said:

Arya's entire story ending with her going on an adventure with the justification that "no one knows what's West of  Westeros" when Bran - her brother sitting a foot away from her - has the power to KNOW FUCKING EVERYTHING is a pretty good summation of the writing for season 8, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

There were some good bits in the finale, there were  some astonishingly stupid bits (you could have had a full episode on its own of the fall out of Jon's Queenslaying...nah, we'll just brush straight past it to weeks later). I didn't dislike it, I didn't like it, was the dictionary definition of meh, which is maybe even worse than if it was just utter shite. Shame.

Um, bran has the ability to access people’s memories/experiences moments along with some flashes of future events....not explore the universe 

On 20/05/2019 at 20:34, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, episode started off really well. Was pretty tense and enjoyable  After Danaerys was offed though it went a bit meh and, at times, a bit shit.

Agree with the point about the Unsullied capturing Jon. Why? Why didn't they just execute him? They'd just murdered civilians and other prisoners, so there's no reason why they wouldn't kill Jon. They didn't need to bargain with the North or anyone else, as it could potentially be months before they even found out Jon was dead.

There was even less reason for them to keep Tyrion alive. In fact there was zero reason for it.

Chuckled at Edmure. Good lad, but a dim lad. I think even he knows it. Who was the guy beside Yohn Royce? Not Robyn (absolutely gutted he's still alive) but on the other side.

Agree that the Arya stuff was pish. They had no idea where to go with her so just had her f**k off.

Not sure where folk are getting that the Wall was torn down/destroyed from. It was only a section at Eastwatch by the Sea that was destroyed.

Yeah, why did Royce AND Robyn get a say in the king vote?? Surely they both represent one house and Royce was always just advising Robyn while he was a young boy? 

3 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Yeah, why did Royce AND Robyn get a say in the king vote?? Surely they both represent one house and Royce was always just advising Robyn while he was a young boy? 

House Royce is one of the biggest houses in the vale after House Aryyn so presumably those two houses represented the whole of the vale. Not that you'd know it from the show though.

1 minute ago, Christophe said:

Um, bran has the ability to access people’s memories/experiences moments along with some flashes of future events....not explore the universe 

He can warg in to a plethora of creatures, and there's nothing I can remember to suggest he has to have had physical sight of the creature in advance in order to do so, so unless we're saying that there is absolutely zero life whatsoever west of Westeros, or that a Raven or similar he warged in to in Westeros wouldn't be able to journey west of Westeros, then I'd assume he would be able to see what was west of Westeros, thereby knowing what was in the now mythical west of Westeros. 

Writing that is, I think, as dorky as I've ever felt.

<Insert Comic Book Guy photo here>

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Aye ? No shit George.

Happens with a lot of authors once they become successful - see Rowling and Rankin as other prime examples. They are bringing in so much money for the publishing house that no one there has the balls to tell them that the story needs to be amended incase the author sods off somewhere else. And this lack of oversight allows the author to get away with any old nonsense.

I dont think Rankin has written a book that couldnt have at least 100 pages easily excised with no plotting issues since about 1995.

Perhaps 'the wheel' was the great family dynasties? Now that the Targaryen line has ended (assuming Jon doesn't marry and has no kids, as he's apparently sworn again) then there will be no more mad c***s with dragons.

The Stark line might be done as well. Given her experiences Sansa might not be so keen on procreation, or at least the process. Arya doesn't seem like the type to have kids and Jon seems like the kind of guy who will keep his vow.

The Lannister line, as Tywin always said, was dependent on Jaime. Now he's dead will they too be done? Given his experiences he might not be so keen on the whole marriage thing.

The Greyjoy name looks to be done as well unless Yara suddenly turns straight.

The Mormonts, Umbers, Freys, Boltons and Martells are done as well.

However this falls down when you consider that Gendry is now a legitimate Baratheon. We also still have the Tully (presumably Edmure's son is still alive) and Arryn lines (sadly Robin is still alive, wee c**t). Reed and Royce as well I suppose.

Edited by DA Baracus

Perhaps 'the wheel' was the great family dynasties? Now that the Targaryen line has ended (assuming Jon doesn't marry and has no kids, as he's apparently sworn again) then there will be no more mad c***s with dragons.
The Stark line might be done as well. Given her experiences Sansa might not be so keen on procreation, or at least the process. Arya doesn't seem like the type to have kids and Jon seems like the kind of guy who will keep his vow.
The Lannister line, as Tywin always said, was dependent on Jaime. Now he's dead will they too be done? Given his experiences he might not be so keen on the whole marriage thing.

However this falls down when you consider that Gendry is now a legitimate Baratheon. We also still have the Tully (presumably Edmure's son is still alive) and Arryn lines (sadly Robin is still alive, wee c**t). Reed and Royce as well I suppose.
It's not real mate, it's only a story.

4 minutes ago, kiddy said:
9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You're right.

Everyone, stop posting about Game of Thrones immediately. No more theories, no more wondering what will happen to the characters, no more talking about your favourite bits, no more saying what you didn't like, no more talk of what the spin offs might be, no more talking about which characters you liked and which you didn't, no more talking about various deaths and just no more talking about it in general.

It's not real, it's only a story.

Edited by DA Baracus

4 minutes ago, kiddy said:
9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Sorted.

Presumably you won't be making any posts in any of the topics about any TV shows or films (except documentaries)? They're not real, they're only stories.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Perhaps 'the wheel' was the great family dynasties? ...

Think the idea was how power rotates between them, but nothing really changes. I always thought there was a major disconnect between what Dany said her motivations were about freeing slaves etc and what she was actually doing and with her obvious sense of entitlement where ruling Westeros with absolute power was concerne. That basically pointed to her being part of the wheel and hence part of what ultimately needs to be broken.

Looking forward to seeing how the books unfold given there are recent hints from GRRM of it probably being a year away at most on the next one. The Young Griff, Victarion and Marwen the maester that Sam meets strands to the story will make it very different from the HBO version.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looking forward to seeing how the books unfold given there are recent hints from GRRM of it probably being a year away at most on the next one. 

Has he not been saying that for about 3 years? 

Has he not been saying that for about 3 years? 
Yeah he has. Only if he gets the next book out then I will start reading them as will surely then finish the final book......

Don't want to start the books then they don't get finished!

I think the ending was always going to be disappointing for people due to all the theories, discussion and popularity it was never going to please every theory and every person. I do agree the final season or even two was rushed. HBO should have stuck to their guns and said we want 10-12 episodes and two final seasons. First season on the fall of the Night King and Final season on the battle for Iron Throne /Kings Landing etc. Was just way too much to fit in and fully tell all the stories and have the right build up and explanations for as much as possible.

I do think Brann, Tyrion and Sansa's story arcs felt satisfying well mostly but surely the actors didn't have to be paid as much per episode and they could have either had a larger budget for more episodes or not went as crazy for Battle of Winterfell which was rather disappointing due to how hard it was to tell wtf was actually happening and I rewound a few scenes as I thought did a main character die there...but no they managed to survive or an extra getting chopped!!