Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

That was brilliantly done, been looking forward to seeing that and it didn't disappoint. Rains of Castamere coming in was done superbly. Roose Bolton is delightfully evil, the look he gave Catelyn when she noticed the mail was outstanding. It just leaves you sitting shellshocked for ages after it. Greatly enjoying the many meltdowns across the internet too.

I've watched up to the first two episodes of season 3 so far, and I really don't want to be that guy, but the changes from the books are starting to annoy me.

I do realise that they couldn't possibly stay 100% faithful to the books, but I'm having a hard time watching due to a number of issues I have that IMO could have been quite easily included in the TV adaptation:

Tyrion as a character is far too 'nice'. Amusing and witty, yes, but he is also a bit of a c**t. Why are they refusing to portray this?

Shae. Horrible portrayal. My Tyrion gripe is also linked to this. Are they really going to have 'hero' Tyrion choke her to death (and shoot Tywin with a crossbow for that matter?) Out of character for how he has been acting in the show.

Tywin isn't enough of a b*****d. Great acting by Charles Dance but the Harrenhal scenes with him and Arya were not how I pictured him being. Way too personable and friendly.

Jon Snow is probably my favourite character in the books. Started off OK in the show but since his poorly handled killing of the Halfhand it's been downhill.

I have some more but can't be arsed typing them.

It's a good adaptation of very difficult to film and digest work, but I'm struggling to watch it due to my issues. I will, of course, keep watching (unless it overruns the books which is a possibility).

I think my main problem is just being too familiar with the books.

Apologies for the rambling bollocks.

Only two changes have particularly bothered me, most of it is perfectly understandable in cutting corners to fit everything into the time constraints and taking out unnecessary characters, while some stuff has been changed for the better; Arya and Tywin together was tremendous to watch. I'm enjoying it greatly regardless. Book stuff:

As you say, they made a mess of Jon. Things like changing Arya's storyline so she's not halfway to being a killing machine already were disappointing in that it was considerably less badass, but it still had the important stuff for her storyline and character development with some cool stuff thrown in. With Jon it changed the perception of the character. The book's explicit that Halfhand asked him to join his scouting party and that he was forced to go undercover through the wildlings having Orell's raven following them, not through letting Ygritte live. The show instead made it look like he was there because he was an incompetent.

Other change that annoyed me was the way Robb got married, obviously he's tit either way but still, in the book he gets married through a sense of honour despite breaking his oath to Frey, in the show it's because some nurse on the battlefield is hot and f**k honour. Again, perception of the character. Seemed like much more of a lost wee boy who was never likely to win the war when he'd had an air of invincibility, albeit briefly, in the books.

BOOK SPOILERS!

Although, G.R.R.Martin has certainly grown fond of some of the characters, to the point that they seem like they won't die any time soon. Hiya Tyrion, hiya pal! Also, is Ser Barristan going to grass Ser Jorah up or not? Surely it has to be the next episode, as he's pretty vital in the later books.

BOOK SPOILERS!

Again, book spoilers you should really avoid.

Is it not going into Meereen that Jorah is found out and banished? If so, we'll probably get that towards the end of next series, plenty to occupy us early on as the Purple Wedding has to come fairly early, episode three at the latest you'd hope. Perhaps not considering they haven't introduced any Martells yet though.

As I said earlier, before spoilers were allowed, the point when they offer that glimmer of hope with Robb and Catelyn left is probably the worst part of all. It's that final bloodshed which does it. Although the sheer brutality of how it all starts is horrific as well. What's also worth noting is just how brilliant that makes The Hound's own contribution to things, doing the right thing by getting Arya the f**k out of there.

I love TV moments like that which just draw so much emotion. Not experienced anything like that watching a TV show.

Have read the books, knew it was coming, still totally loved it. Brilliant telly.

Book spoiler (kind of)

I mind in the books the way it ended left me feeling Arya had died. She got the blow to the head but it wasn't made obvious if she was KOd or deid. Skimmed through the rest of the book to make sure she was OK!

As I said earlier, before spoilers were allowed, the point when they offer that glimmer of hope with Robb and Catelyn left is probably the worst part of all. It's that final bloodshed which does it. Although the sheer brutality of how it all starts is horrific as well. What's also worth noting is just how brilliant that makes The Hound's own contribution to things, doing the right thing by getting Arya the f**k out of there.

I love TV moments like that which just draw so much emotion. Not experienced anything like that watching a TV show.

Ye I was so desperate I was clutching at straws all over the place - was imagining Arya letting Grey Wind (right name?) out and he'd go in and save the day. Thought Catelyn would go for Walder too but just when you saw Robb didn't give a f**k anymore and his mum screaming and slashing the wife, I lost my shit

Part of the shows appeal is its daring to do what conventional shows wouldn't do. I couldn't see it coming, even with the discussions about what a great episode this was, and even when the ominous music started I didn't foresee anything on this scale.

It all adds to the drama, the haters will be back next week. I guarantee it.

Glad Robb is dead. His war was always futile Talisa pointed that out to him as soon as she met him. He was never going to beat the combined Lannister and Tyrrell armies. He won a few early battles but was pretty much dying on his arse. If Stannis couldnt take kings landing with a much larger force Robb had no chance.

Jon Snow did something interesting for the first time in a while. He left without Yggrette but she looked like she would have left with him, if she had the chance. Another Stark doomed by his own sense of honour and seeing only in black and white. At this point we are supposed to be rooting for Jon and for Bran to fulfil his quest. We are meant to pity Sansa and who knows what to think of Arya, she doesn't really have a goal now. Her home is burned and her family dead and all she does is swear revenge.

Who else are we supposed to be rooting for? Stannis, the unlovable True King and his witch. That isn't going to happen. Stannis isn't irredeemable but he is far from lovable too.

I suppose Dany but she is so far away. There are no heroes left in Westeros, everybody is corrupted in one way or another. Brianne is the only adult who truly has clean hands.

I officially hate Frankie Boyle. Just checked twitter and is tweeting all sorts of book spoilers as he thinks its funny!! Arrrrrgh. Unfollowed

There is a line, he crossed it

This. I get that he likes to push the boundaires of WUM-ing, but I was SEETHING. It's as if the more he gets left behind in the industry, the more deseperate his attempts become.

Just re-watched Season 1 and 2, while watching Season 3 for the first time. Absolutely phenomenal.

Didn't truely appreciate the "Red Wedding" patter until they were all butchered :lol:

So who is King/Queen of the North?

*book spoiler*

Joffrey gets butchered in the books, choking or some shite like that, is this likely to happen in Episode 10 or more likely to be Season 4?

Was just reading a bunch of stuff about this episode and was interesting to read (for me anyway) that George R.R Martin based the Red Wedding on events from Scottish history (The Black Dinner and the Glencoe Massacre).

Just re-watched Season 1 and 2, while watching Season 3 for the first time. Absolutely phenomenal.

Didn't truely appreciate the "Red Wedding" patter until they were all butchered :lol:

So who is King/Queen of the North?

*book spoiler*

Joffrey gets butchered in the books, choking or some shite like that, is this likely to happen in Episode 10 or more likely to be Season 4?

Book spoiler:

Definitely season four, there's still some setting up needs to be done with characters still to be introduced. I hope it happens early though, episode two or three, purely on a continuity level. Jaime left Harrenhal in episode seven here and can't get back to King's Landing until after the Purple Wedding, bit daft if it's taking him ten episodes or something to go that far when Melisandre and Littlefinger can jump all over from episode to episode.