Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

I reckon Varys could be a Targareyen

Daenerys, her brother Viserys, her dad? Aerys? Varys - he does sound like a Targareyen.

Plus it was him that was so interested in keeping tabs on Dany and set up spies etc. Could he have had long blonde hair before he went bald?

What do we know about his background other than he got his knob chopped off? TV stuff only please, don't want book spoilers. I'm trying to rack my brain for what the show has told us about his past

This isn't the Sopranos though, people are sceptical because he wasn't shown to be killed/die, which is a decent rule of thumb for GoT.

People used exactly the same reasoning for The Sopranos. Without wishing to be too offensive, it's the moronic side of fan theorising and I'll eat my hat and stop watching the show if I'm wrong.

Yes, meant it wasn't the same character. Which it isn't.

It's basically the same character. They've just cut Edric Storm and had Mel want to burn Gendry instead.

What you're saying is like saying Dany isn't the same character because Varys backs Aegon in the books or Sansa isn't the same character because Ramsay marries Jeyne Poole.

Edited by The OP

Personally I think its all very obvious what happens next season, we have seen it all before. Melisandre has seen a vision in her fires from the blood magic she gained by offing the diseased girl, she reckons Jon is her new hero with the shiny sword type person.

She gets back to Castle Black and performs the same trick that was used on Dondarrian, but like him people are a bit weirded out by it and reckon its not the real Jon that comes back so they start calling him the undead and a zombie. To prove he is the old Jon he starts signing everything The Jon Snow and claiming all his history is intact, at which point he blows all the Nights Watchs gold on a group of second rate sell swords who never perform for him. Eventually he gets booted out and replaced with a Southern Lord with a sigil of a bee.

So familiar its like I just watched it..... :unsure2:

Varys returning was poorly handled as well imo.

"oh hi guys, there's nothing much else for me to do so I'm just gonna pop up out of nowhere and act like it's series 2 again"

Nae bother.

Despite having a bit of quibble with Olly/Thorne's roles in it, "For the Watch" probably had me going even more than the book version. Heartbreaking stuff.

How they handle the aftermath is going to be hugely important to whether both book and show jump the shark.

Edited by AberdeenBud

Varys returning was poorly handled as well imo.

"oh hi guys, there's nothing much else for me to do so I'm just gonna pop up out of nowhere and act like it's series 2 again"

Nae bother.

Despite having a bit of quibble with Olly/Thorne's roles in it, "For the Watch" probably had me going even more than the book version. Heartbreaking stuff.

How they handle the aftermath is going to be hugely important to whether both book and show jump the shark.

Varys was on the way to Mereen with Tyrion anyway so was never going to be far behind Jorah had he decided to carry on.

Yeah, Davos would have killed Stannis himself if he knew. With that in mind, surely a seasoned war-veteran like Stannis would have known that burning his daughter alive would initiate a mutiny? Is this explained further in the book?

I think what happened is the weather broke and this allowed those who had wanted out to go rather than rebelling as him burning his daughter. They have been through a snow storm with limited food and no winter clothing, Napoleon\Hitler style march into the winter.#

What is not credible is that they were able to get away in such large numbers and with the horses. They would have made one hell of a racket and given half the camp remained loyal someone would have seen something. But that is standard for the books\show they get the politics bang on but a lot of the military stuff is pretty poor.

I think what happened is the weather broke and this allowed those who had wanted out to go rather than rebelling as him burning his daughter. They have been through a snow storm with limited food and no winter clothing, Napoleon\Hitler style march into the winter.#

What is not credible is that they were able to get away in such large numbers and with the horses. They would have made one hell of a racket and given half the camp remained loyal someone would have seen something. But that is standard for the books\show they get the politics bang on but a lot of the military stuff is pretty poor.

I'm not sure I found much of the Stannis storyline that credible. It's not even a case of getting the military stuff wrong, it was more basic than that. Almost to the point that they forgot to actually think about any military stuff. We're lucky Stannis even remembered that he had a sword when it came to the battle.

And that gets me to a point that has really irked me this season. The rest of the population of Westeros (and beyond) are so unbelievably one dimensional. So much so that they even forgot to add a general population in Dorne. It's no surprise no-one raised the fact that half the army had upped and left, they're not alive enough to notice.

Dorne was terrible from start(even having Dorne in the credits rather than Sunspear irked me) to finish, and as said above the production values were somewhat laughable as well. A complete waste of time, I wonder if we'll be back or the show runners will cut their losses given the universal derision aimed at that part of the show.

For some reason I always had a theory that Jon was the son of Robert and Ned Starks sister (I can't remember her name). Maybe that's the barratheon that the red priest really sees!

You mean that theory that we always spoiler?

Jons dead, tbh. We're always going to have someone up North so the White Walkers storyline gets continued, and next season it'll be Bran. Wouldn't surprise me if the opening sequence for next season was Jon being burned.

Stannis is dead, why the never showed you I don't know, but I'm almost certain he wanted to die the moment he seen his wife, and that he marched onwards in hope of being slaughtered, even if he survives he'll he'd up topping himself, and he'd rather go in battle.

No idea about Theon and Sansa, not even sure what they jumped into though, no doubt Ramsey and Brienne will find them though, even if they fall through a hole into the centre of the Earth, as both seem utterly invincible and capable of absolutely anything, hopefully they never meet or the fight will never end.

When did Ayra become so "ninja" btw? Her training seems to consist of being hit, sweeping the floor and cleaning dead folk, yet shes suddenly some shit hot assassin? :lol:

Edited by RandomGuy.