• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
DavidMcG

Game of Thrones

The visual of the Rhaegal crash landing into the walls and going fucking ape in the courtyard was fucking tremendous.

Also Jon and Dany bumping into each other before they had their Matrix 3 sky moment was probably more realistic than most think if there can be such a term.

This is actually an interesting point.
I'm probably way off here, and I haven't seen anything else to support this, but what if Bran is destined for the throne and is destined to be the most malevolent ruler the Kingdoms have ever known?  What if the Night King saw this prophecy and was sent to kill Bran before he could become King?
What if the Night King is good and Bran is bad?  What a laugh that would be.

It’s plausible IMO. I wonder if Bran will head south in his wee wheelchair to Kings Landing for a battle there or if he’ll just sit by his big ol tree.

The biggest question for me now is - who will be the Prince/Princess That Was Promised and wield Lightbringer? If something to this effect doesn’t happen I’ll be raging. I think it’s either Jon or Ayra. I’m actually slightly disappointed the promised one didn’t bring down the white walkers with lightbringer in that episode.

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The biggest question for me now is - who will be the Prince/Princess That Was Promised and wield Lightbringer? If something to this effect doesn’t happen I’ll be raging. I think it’s either Jon or Ayra. I’m actually slightly disappointed the promised one didn’t bring down the white walkers with lightbringer in that episode.

I would be surprised if you get your wish as TPTWP prophecy and lightbringer play little to no part in the TV programme. If anything, it was Arya with the dagger. 

FWIW I don't think the problems I had with the episode stem from the episode itself. The show writers have had far less time to think of a satisfying conclusion to the major themes and narrative elements introduced from the start and I suppose at least they have attempted to do so whereas Martin is clearly going to take his endings to the grave. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I kind of agree but if he's been brought back for a purpose - as Melisandre suggested in season six I think it was - he's not served that purpose yet as he's still alive. Beric's purpose was to protect Arya in that moment of peril, there must be something for Jon down the line too. Either that or Melisandre is full of shit. 

I'd caveat quite a few of those things you've listed though;

• Brought the wildlings through the wall to stop them joining the WWs. Didn't make that much of a difference. He only saved a couple of thousands out of hundreds of thousands. More important to his character arc than to stopping the Night King.
  • Went back and saved a bunch from Hardhome. I think the bigger significance of this is he saw how big a threat this was rather than the bodies he was able to bring back with him. Probably lost about as many people in the massacre as he gained from the ones he brought back on the boats.
  • First person to actually defeat one in combat (not counting sneaky wee stabs). He did and it let everyone know that Valyrian Steal is effective against the walkers, as with Sam killing the other WW with the dragon glass. 
  • Won back and united the North (without which the NK would have walked right over them). He was on the front line but Sansa and the Vale Lords essentially won that battle. His refusal to listen to Sansa just about lost it for his side IMO and now it's Sansa holding things together inspite of Jon rather than because of him.
  • Convinced Dany to let them mine the dragonglass from dragonstone. Which helped in terms of the wider battle and holding off the wights for a spell but it didn't really have much of an effect on the end result. The Night King just replenished his army half way through the battle anyway.
  • Convinced Dany to join the Northerners in the war against the NK. No arguments there 
  • Led the mission north of the wall where he killed another WW, giving them the first solid evidence that killing a WW kills all the wights/WWs they created. He did to try and win round Cersei. He lost one of the dragons in the process though for pretty much nothing. No arguments with the second bit but that was more luck than good judgement. 

I'm not meaning to diminish what Jon achieved but I think it's much more of a collective than what your bullet points would suggest. He was involved in a lot of the things but it's hard to argue against Bran/Sam and then Arya probably having the biggest impacts, given the first 2 provided most of the knowledge and Arya was the one to finish things off. 

Yeah, fair. I think a lot of those individual points are fairly arguable. I still think it's been pretty much's Jon's whole mission to try and stop the NK for a long time now and without him, it just wouldn't have been possible. He's the common thread pulling everything together.  Not saying others haven't made vital contributions or made more important contributions in particular cases but it hasn't been any character's sole purpose (except Bran probably) in teh same way it has been Jon's. It was more the whole, well if Jon doesn't have a big sword fight with and kill the NK, what was teh point chat I took issue with.

Also, just because Beric happened to die after his purpose was fullfilled, it doesn't mean everyone who was brought back for a purpose has to die immediately after they've achieved it.

The visual of the Rhaegal crash landing into the walls and going fucking ape in the courtyard was fucking tremendous.

Also Jon and Dany bumping into each other before they had their Matrix 3 sky moment was probably more realistic than most think if there can be such a term.
Wasnt that Viscerion?

Just now, Bairnardo said:
47 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Wasnt that Viscerion?

Yeah, Viserion was the rogue dragon.

If that's that for the White Walkers, it seems a bit of a waste of the very-cool-looking Night King.  As it was he just wandered around, marching ominously, before getting stabbed by a girl and dying. 

55 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I enjoyed Jons encounter with the dragon, the dragon was weakened and in a right state so maybe it didn’t have the firepower to destroy solid rock like it did before.

Aye, I guess that's a decent explanation.

6 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Aye, I guess that's a decent explanation.

You couldn't tell from the show, or at least I couldn't but in one of the making of docs they released to YouTube they said the dragon was weakened from the earlier fight because half its face was missing so the flames were escaping from the side as well and that it had also been blinded so it seemed to be reacting to the sound of Jon I guess.

That's another thing the show could have done a better job of letting the viewer know.

Just now, Rodhull said:

You couldn't tell from the show, or at least I couldn't but in one of the making of docs they released to YouTube they said the dragon was weakened from the earlier fight because half its face was missing so the flames were escaping from the side as well and that it had also been blinded so it seemed to be reacting to the sound of Jon I guess.

That's another thing the show could have done a better job of letting the viewer know.

Their hand has been forced in seriously shortening the series, so they're going to need to miss out a lot of important stuff.

Regarding the Dothraki charge. Were they given the order to charge or did they pile in on there on accord? Genuinely can't remember due to consumption of wine

11 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

When it was flailing about in the courtyard there was blue flames coming out of it's neck and it seemed to be struggling to maintain a proper....flow?  Burn? Ejaculation?  What would one call it?

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

When it was flailing about in the courtyard there was blue flames coming out of it's neck and it seemed to be struggling to maintain a proper....flow?  Burn? Ejaculation?  What would one call it?

Puff.

On 4/29/2019 at 03:51, NewBornBairn said:

The lighting ruined it for me. That and the cheesy GoT theme tune during the fighting.

I actually found it to be one of the poorest episodes of the entire history of GOT. 

Too much of the same thing for me, endless "dead" swarming over everyone and it just became a little monotonous with virtually no dialogue in the entire episode.

Wasnt that Viscerion?
Yeah, Viserion was the rogue dragon.
Shit you're right.

36 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Ah yeah sorry that part I could tell but the being blind and half its face being missing I completely overlooked presumably due to it being so dark and/or watching it at such an ungodly time of the morning.

I remember one of the dragons biting Viscerion pretty viciously at one point so presumably it was from that part of the fight.

19 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Shit you're right.

Did the one Jon was on die?