Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

On 29/04/2019 at 03:55, Shotgun said:

Right, I forgot about him. Despite the sales pitch we were given about the Unsullied when Dany was first buying them, they really have been more than a bit underwhelming whenever they've been required to do their jobs, haven't they? Hope she kept the receipt.

they covered the retreat and then did the forlorn hope bit when melissandre was lighting the ditch.pretty heroic imo.the dothraki though:lol:

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I thought it always had a hole in its neck since the Night King killed it, which is why its flames were blue instead of orange.

I am not sure what Dragon (think it was Rhaegal) it was but it clearly ripped Viserion neck, jaw in the battle.  You seen a lump fall to the ground.   I thought that was why you seen the fire escaping around his neck inside Winterfell.

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Agree with this.

What great commanders are folk talking about? There's load of great warriors but no commanders. The Unsullied always follow orders, not formulate battle plans. The Dothraki have no tactics other than ride at folk full pelt. Jon was shown to be a shit strategist in the Battle of the b*****ds. Davos has always been an advisor, not a strategist. Jaime perhaps could be decent at battle planning but we haven't seen it before (his old man gave the orders). Danaerys has also been proven to be shit at making battle plans in the past.

The only good strategist they had was Tyrion, and he made a good point about being stuck in the crypt. His involvement in the initial battle plan might have been tempered by Danaerys raging at him.

The only semi-credible battle commanders on Westeros in the new generation (i.e. not Stannis, Tywin, Ned Stark etc.) were Robb Stark (fucked up the politics though) and Ramsay to an extent by taking out all-comers in the North. Until that ridiculously contrived sneak march of an entire cavalry army through Moat Cailin before the Battle of the b*****ds of course - don't get me started on that. 

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I totally disagree with everyone hoping the dead come back as it was too easy killing NK. The dead are the worst part of the story for me and I’m glad they’ve been dispatched and we can go back to actually vying for the throne. 

They should go back and remake the show from the start now, removing every single fucking tedious piece of nonsense to have occurred north of the Wall and replace it with more Varys, Tyrion and Littlefinger top bants. The magical undead is also by far the worst plot thread in the books so you can't even blame the script writers for it either, it's just a load of pointless drivel.  

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It didn't make any sense. The entire plan seemed to be for Ayra to jump at him, and for him to catch her in mid air so her hands are exactly where they need to be so she can drop a knife perfectly from one to the other.

Reckon she would rather have stabbed him in the back tbh. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think the plan of somehow running up behind the Night King, when hes surrounded by White Walkers and the dead, is laughably weak.

Don't think that was the plan from the start either. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

7 seasons of him and the dead being built up as the main threat, with them barely appearing in episodes for any length of time, 

Then are they the main threat if they've barely been in for any length of time? 

While important to the story, I don't think they were the be all and end all that everyone was making them out to be. 

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Cersei has by far the stronger armed forces but neither of them are properly loyal to her - 

Having two dragons trumps Cersei imo. 

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

What about Lady Mormont? Brilliant to the end.

Some actress, you'd expect her to do well in her career. 

4 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

The only other gripe I will go with is Jon Snow hiding behind the rock and not getting obliterated by the dragon.

I can only presume that it was a large, fairly solid rock, whereas as wall is many small rocks held together by mortar? 

The fact its lying in the courtyard would, and if its came from the wall already would suggest its already survived dragon flame once. 

They should go back and remake the show from the start now, removing every single fucking tedious piece of nonsense to have occurred north of the Wall and replace it with more Varys, Tyrion and Littlefinger top bants. The magical undead is also by far the worst plot thread in the books so you can't even blame the script writers for it either, it's just a load of pointless drivel.  

Agreed

The politics in Kings Landing, the rebellions in the North and Daenarys taking back the throne were far superior stories. You could probably include the Wildling invasion as pretty good right up until they invaded the Wall but their storyline was still motivated and driven by the WW to an extent.

I am not sure what Dragon (think it was Rhaegal) it was but it clearly ripped Viserion neck, jaw in the battle.  You seen a lump fall to the ground.   I thought that was why you seen the fire escaping around his neck inside Winterfell.

Yep, I don't remember fire escaping from its jaw/neck when it was bringing down the wall.

20 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Then are they the main threat if they've barely been in for any length of time? 

While important to the story, I don't think they were the be all and end all that everyone was making them out to be. 

It was the show that made them the main threat.

The very first scene is them, they're talked about by numerous major characters as the main threat. Arguably the main character in the whole show has spent, at least, the past season trying to convince everyone that the Night King is the danger and literally convinces Danaerys that hes a bigger threat than Cersei.

One of the subtle aspects I enjoyed about the NK death was the fact it was the dagger that started it all off that was used to kill him.

Little fingers Valerian steel dagger that was used to try and assassinate Bran was used to kill the NK. Subtle but nice.

Couple of points of order

1. I think people are looking into the zombie dragon’s flame colour a bit too deeply. Evil dragon = icy = blue, good dragon = fiery = orange. Lets the viewer tell them apart and looks cool.

2. The Wall is made of ice. Ice is less resistant to flame than stone.

Their hand has been forced in seriously shortening the series, so they're going to need to miss out a lot of important stuff.
How can you "miss out a lot of important stuff", when it's being written specifically for the series by scriptwriters, not Martin?

I thought it always had a hole in its neck since the Night King killed it, which is why its flames were blue instead of orange.

Spoiler

GAT_Sci_0104__art_r2.jpg&key=5dd867d0c68da71a72a89e16248da691d1a908656549019678a5a602d0387e2e

So, were the bodies falling over due to CO poisoning?

One of the subtle aspects I enjoyed about the NK death was the fact it was the dagger that started it all off that was used to kill him.

Little fingers Valerian steel dagger that was used to try and assassinate Bran was used to kill the NK. Subtle but nice.

The dagger was also clearly shown in the book that told the story of the long night that Sam stole from the citadel.

IMG_2561.jpg

1 hour ago, The OP said:

2. The Wall is made of ice. Ice is less resistant to flame than stone.

Worth mentioning the Ice Dragon blasts through a wall at Winterfell in the episode.

24 minutes ago, Loki said:

The dagger was also clearly shown in the book that told the story of the long night that Sam stole from the citadel.

IMG_2561.jpg

Love shit like this.

The sheer volume of brinksmanship scenes was near intolerable, but the biggest one, the waking of the dead and the Night King going, landed perfectly I thought.
The only other gripe I will go with is Jon Snow hiding behind the rock and not getting obliterated by the dragon.
Thought Jon snow was meant to have targaryen blood, wouldn't that stop him burning or are we waiting on that reveal later to make him king and to get Dany to believe?