Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

general question to those who may know

What happens/happened to Blackfish, who "went to find a tree to piss on" just before the ambush? Was he in on the plot, or just very fortunate?

Depends on what the Directors have in mind.

If I remember correctly from the book, like Jayne Westerling (Rob's wife-not the Volantine babe), he wasn't at the wedding & was left holding Riverrun.

The strength of the TV show is it edits out the worst of martins ramblings and is more tightly scripted.

On last nights I was pleased with the other scenes with Dany, Arya and Jon. But what a last 15 minutes.

I read the review on westeros and was surprised with their review, rather than link and spoil, I'll let you find it. Did they expect the robb stuff to be a whole episode?

general question to those who may know

What happens/happened to Blackfish, who "went to find a tree to piss on" just before the ambush? Was he in on the plot, or just very fortunate?

I think in the books, he wasn't at the wedding, so a long pish to get the TV guys out if a hole.

I read the review on westeros and was surprised with their review, rather than link and spoil, I'll let you find it. Did they expect the robb stuff to be a whole episode?

i would have liked it to have been the whole episode (but also with arya and the hound trying to get there).

it would have been good to get more of roose especially but also other stark bannermen and some freaky freys.

i would have liked it to have been the whole episode (but also with arya and the hound trying to get there).

it would have been good to get more of roose especially but also other stark bannermen and some freaky freys.

Hear what you're saying, but beyond the name jokes, there isn't that much of interest about the freys and the TV show hasn't bigged up any of them particularly. I wouldn't have been bothered about more own the stark banner men either, with Theon gone, and Roose there, that's plenty enough.

Agree that Arya and Hound could have been developed more though.

Hear what you're saying, but beyond the name jokes, there isn't that much of interest about the freys and the TV show hasn't bigged up any of them particularly. I wouldn't have been bothered about more own the stark banner men either, with Theon gone, and Roose there, that's plenty enough.

Agree that Arya and Hound could have been developed more though.

it's probably down to book readers vs tv watchers. they way they had was probably the optimum WTF for unspoiled viewers as it seemed a fairly average episode up until then.

if you already know it's coming then you would want as much build up as possible as it's a huge incident in the story. having more northmen would have put made robb seem more king like, think back to his wolf biting the lord's fingers off in season one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8nZxcMqTk

the north rolled deep back in the day

it's probably down to book readers vs tv watchers. they way they had was probably the optimum WTF for unspoiled viewers as it seemed a fairly average episode up until then.

if you already know it's coming then you would want as much build up as possible as it's a huge incident in the story. having more northmen would have put made robb seem more king like, think back to his wolf biting the lord's fingers off in season one.

the north rolled deep back in the day

Ah good point.

I'm a book reader but I starting reading after season 1..

I see the flaws in martins writing. It's way too much stuff to comprehend on the first read. There's sub-sub plots that don't seem to pay off, the volume of past mixed up in present and the stand/stop to get characters into position for certain set pieces.

The TV show gives the opportunity to tighten down the sheer volume, although seasons 3 and 4 will be just book 3.

I liked the way last nights episode dealt with things. It was coherent and almost almost linked up some of the character threads in a so close so far sort of way.

the wedding had everything needed, sour atmosphere, a spot on Walter Frey, the bedding, the door closing after the bedding, then the music. It worked. It did the shock and schlock but it also held up. ( except the big lad going for a pish)

All on all pretty happy and roll on ep 10.

A review posted by The Quietus on Game of Thrones http://thequietus.com/articles/12446-game-of-thrones-series-3-review

I am loving this series and the Red Wedding might go down as one of the most shocking moments of my television watching history rivaling some of the most brutal moments of Breaking Bad.

I've watched a lot of powerful TV series, most notably the Sopranos for this kinda stuff, but that is the most devasting TV moment ever IMO. Days later it's still absolutely resounding across fans of the show and I can't remember being so shocked at a program or film.

Stunning episode. Eerie atmosphere throughout but I was still shocked that the Starks were killed off so suddenly and violently, with little warning, ceremony or so much as a fight put up to go out honourably as most heroes do. It seems a horrible injustice that they were betrayed and had no chance to defend themselves. Even the poor diremutt got it.

The silence as the credits rolled in was great too. A real "there, chew on THAT" from the producers. Outstanding telly, can't wait for the finale.

I would have liked a bit of pretence about taking Casterley Rock. Some sort of strategy meeting or something to give the Freys at least a bit of credibility and maybe enhance Bolton as a bad guy after the betrayal. As far as I have noticed Bolton seems to be pragmatic, he supported Robb until it was clear he couldn't win then sought peace with the Lannisters.

Every scene with Walder Frey seemed ominous and made Robb look weak. Maybe that was the point but it kind of spoiled the twist where the wedding was a trap. In some way it was nicely contrasted with Jon's charade where the wildling knew he was still loyal to the Knight's Watch and said several times but it was believable Jon had turned and was thinking with his dick rather than his honour.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

I'm quite annoyed we didn't get to see a pissed up GreatJon Umber swedging away with the 8 guys it takes to pin him down.

Clive Mantle who played him in the first series had his ear bitten off so didn't come back for the second series, after being gone for a series they didn't bring him back for a third either.

Clive Mantle who played him in the first series had his ear bitten off so didn't come back for the second series, after being gone for a series they didn't bring him back for a third either.

Ha! that's right. Was it not in a Travelodge somewhere?