Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2021 at 20:29, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I know, its got lots of churches and convents in the walls they seem to focus on that. Theres about 10/12 different places around Malta, the bit from the wedding was filmed there, various bits around Ned being killed and some of the other Dothraki stuff. Given they’re struggling big time over here id have thought someone would take a punt at a game of thrones tour or something. 

There are tours, but I was there last month and they weren’t running. No idea if it was COVID or time of the year. 

I wonder if it’s not well publicised after the damage caused during filming, plus trying to preserve history I’m guessing. 

1 hour ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

There are tours, but I was there last month and they weren’t running. No idea if it was COVID or time of the year. 

I wonder if it’s not well publicised after the damage caused during filming, plus trying to preserve history I’m guessing. 

I think theres an element of the authorities preferring to focus on their own bits of history over the tv show and thats fine, but feeding their history into the context of a tour of locations for me would have been easier to engage. Must have been covid that put a stop to it for our visit too, a beautiful country id def visit again. 

25 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think theres an element of the authorities preferring to focus on their own bits of history over the tv show and thats fine, but feeding their history into the context of a tour of locations for me would have been easier to engage. Must have been covid that put a stop to it for our visit too, a beautiful country id def visit again. 

Yeah I’m definitely planning on going back, it’s stunning. 

Anyone read the books? I bought the full set off eBay at the start of lockdown last March, and planned to fire through them all. When I seen the thickness of the books and the rather small print, I ended up not bothering.

I’ve started a new night time routine however, where I put the TV off half an hour before I go to sleep and spend that time reading. I’ve easily got 100 books that I’ve bought and never finished so I took the first book, ‘A Game of Thrones’, down from the shelf with the aim of actually finishing it and I’m pleased to say I did,  within 3 weeks. It’s by far the thickest book I’ve ever read and it helped that it was written in such a way that you were desperate to get to the next page. The chapters describing Catelyn Starks journey to the Eeyrie and back were brilliant and I can’t believe some of that wasn’t in the TV show.

I don’t know wether I would have rather read the books before the TV show though, as I like to imagine what each character looks like myself instead of already having a preconceived image in your head. There’s plenty of characters in the first book who don’t make an appearance on the TV show thought so it’s not so bad. I will keep firing through the books and hope that R.R. Martin can be bothered to finish The Winds of Winter by the time I’m ready for it. 

I gave up on the books after 50 pages. I couldn't take to the writing style at all, it's just dull.

He's obviously strong on characterisation and maybe if you break the back of it its fine once you get into it.

I'm plodding through the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss at the moment and it's the same. Its like Tolkein ruined fantasy and everyone feels like they need a 1000 page book to tell a story.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm plodding through the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss at the moment and it's the same. Its like Tolkein ruined fantasy and everyone feels like they need a 1000 page book to tell a story.

After getting into the GoT books at the time the series debuted, I quite enjoyed it.

However, it has put me off reading a book series that doesn't have an ending. The 3rd book in the Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy has been on the way since 2011.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I gave up on the books after 50 pages. I couldn't take to the writing style at all, it's just dull.

He's obviously strong on characterisation and maybe if you break the back of it its fine once you get into it.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

After getting into the GoT books at the time the series debuted, I quite enjoyed it.

However, it has put me off reading a book series that doesn't have an ending. The 3rd book in the Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy has been on the way since 2011.

Aye I got into the King killer chronicles about 2016? In the expectation the third book was imminent. 

Fucked it. A very good couple of books. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2021 at 18:35, invergowrie arab said:

It’s possibly because I don’t read a lot of fiction but I really enjoyed the writing style. I do agree that the extent of the descriptive detail he goes in to could be curtailed slightly, but I didn’t find it as much of an issue as others have. I liked how each chapter was written from one characters POV, as it gives the reader a way to see the plotting and scheming play out from multiple perspectives. 

• 4 months later...

Just coming to the end of a rewatch and it’s still a fantastic piece of tv. Even the much criticised final season is slightly better when binged. The absolute carnage wreaked on King’s Landing definitely offsets the disappointing end to the Night King when watched in one sitting. 
Grey Worm is still a jobby-gobbler though. No amount of rewatches can change that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not what I expecting. A sequel series about Jon Snow. Seems a pivot from HBO's strategy of tapping into any and every prequel concept.

With how things finished with Arya that would have maybe made some more sense, probably too much like the Sea Snake project they're working on.

Fucking go back and redo the finish and then I'll be interested. Until then, fucking bury the whole universe. And fucking kill Mr G Martin for being a complete dickhead and not finishing the novels.
Amazing how worked up people can get about a TV programme.

It is amazing to look back. Throughout the 2010 there was GoT stuff everywhere. Folk wearing T-shirts, naming their kids after the characters, huge hype for each series. Each episode really, deeply, discussed and debated. 

Then the last season seems to have sucked all the life and energy out of it. Not just that the show finished but it really, really put people off the whole legacy of it. Very few people I imagine have watched this show from start to finish several times like they have for other shows.

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It is amazing to look back. Throughout the 2010 there was GoT stuff everywhere. Folk wearing T-shirts, naming their kids after the characters, huge hype for each series. Each episode really, deeply, discussed and debated. 

Then the last season seems to have sucked all the life and energy out of it. Not just that the show finished but it really, really put people off the whole legacy of it. Very few people I imagine have watched this show from start to finish several times like they have for other shows.

I watched the whole lot (up to where it was at the time obviously) 3 times prior to the last series. I wold absolutely watch it all again if it wasnt for the ending. I might do so again one day, but the ending/last season will always hang over it like a bad smell

40 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
Fucking go back and redo the finish and then I'll be interested. Until then, fucking bury the whole universe. And fucking kill Mr G Martin for being a complete dickhead and not finishing the novels.

Amazing how worked up people can get about a TV programme.

Like any good story that pulls you in so emotionally, you expect a pay off deserving of everything that came up to that point. When you're let down so badly, that's what happens: you get people reacting angrily.

Is it rational? Probably not.

Do I give a f**k? I gave too much of a f**k!