Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

That's me pretty much back in the "Fantasy fiction's not for me." camp. Got hooked early on because of the clever writing and became almost comically obsessed with it, but by the end was rolling my eyes and muttering "Aw, for fuxxake" at the screen. Unless I hear very good things about the prequels once they start airing, I'll not bother with them, thanks.

I reckon I would have had Dani and Jon stab each other at the same time if I was writing the ending.

I probably would have had Gendry being a shit king and going on a boar hunt and the others all plotting independence.

Sexist apparently - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48335099

Female characters in Game of Thrones speak about three times less than male characters in the show, according to new data.

Although the hugely popular show ended this week after eight seasons, the debate on how it represented women will continue.

The data suggests that across all eight seasons, male speech amounts to about 75% of all speaking time in the series.

8 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I believe they're making a prequel about the Long Night, set roughly 3000 years previous. Not particularly fussed about this given how shite the Night King/white walkers storyline was handled.

Would love...

A Robert's Rebellion series.

Dunk and Egg series.

Something about the original Dragonlords and the Doom of Valyria.

Aegon's conquest, would be ok I guess.

I think all of those have been ruled out. Martin was specifically asked about the first two and said no.

Female characters in Game of Thrones speak about three times less than male characters in the show, according to new data.
Although the hugely popular show ended this week after eight seasons, the debate on how it represented women will continue.
The data suggests that across all eight seasons, male speech amounts to about 75% of all speaking time in the series.

I seen that. Fucking load of guff designed to spark up the easily offended.

Showed it to the wife and she's spitting feathers. According to her these kind of people and "reports" are embarrassing and make it difficult for real women, genuine feminists to be taken  seriously (as opposed to the shouty lesbians).

As for "sexualisation", she's pointed out there were more cock shots in this than any other mainstream programme (South Park "Weiner" tune?), not to mention all the oiled up men stripped to the waist with six packs and rippling muscles.

The old truism applies here too - the thief thinks everybody steals.

10 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

What happened with the Dotharki as well? I'm sure they would integrate into society rather than going back to raping and pillaging.

The Dothraki, who kill folk for fun at weddings, and have to rape/pillage every week or two to stave of a revolt amongst themselves, followed Dani halfway across the planet, but when she was brutally assassinated, they simply accepted it without fuss, even accepting a cripple as someone to lead the place they just conquered, despite the fact theyd kill their own leader if they couldn't ride a horse.

Their last scene is a group of them laughing and joking on the dock as Jon, who they know killed Dany, walks past them :lol:

Edited by RandomGuy.

Ludicrous.

48 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

They should write a strongly worded letter to Bran.

Anyway, the world in which it's set is a bit sexist, but that's because it took inspiration from actual human history in medieval times, when folk were sexist.

It's not a show that is designed to highlight equality or anything. It's a show where folk are brutally murdered and dragons help commit a spot of genocide.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

They should write a strongly worded letter to Bran.

Anyway, the world in which it's set is a bit sexist, but that's because it took inspiration from actual human history in medieval times, when folk were sexist.

It's not a show that is designed to highlight equality or anything. It's a show where folk are brutally murdered and dragons help commit a spot of genocide.

Part of why Arya/Sansa etc are so popular is the feminist message of the excelling in a deeply sexist world. I don't think they ever set a pretence that Westeros was a world where equality was high on the priority list.

Bran saying he only came down to be made king and telling Jon he was exactly where he was needed smacks of it being made out that for all the fighting and politicking that sitting on your arse watching everyone kill each other is the way to get it done ( and let's face it, bran can't even wipe his own arse).
Personally, I would have loved a greyworm and Jon trial by combat where if greyworm won, Jon dead he's happy and if Jon won he got to go to the now defunct nightswatch.
That way the dullest character going could have been offed for his war crimes..
At the end of it, you need to remember that George Martin is against the old tropes of the heroes win the day and love happily ever after. So it was never going to end like the herd wanted it to.

59 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

As for "sexualisation", she's pointed out there were more cock shots in this than any other mainstream programme (South Park "Weiner" tune?), not to mention all the oiled up men stripped to the waist with six packs and rippling muscles.

Your wife has obviously never seen Oz!

19 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

At the end of it, you need to remember that George Martin is against the old tropes of the heroes win the day and love happily ever after. So it was never going to end like the herd wanted it to.

Making the final winners the characters who are the stand ins for him in the story isn't much more original.

Bran should be king because he has all the stories...... very subtle. Sam the most obvious GRRM stand in who gets a hot bird, somehow becomes a Maester despite having kids and ends up on the Small Council and head of his house. Tyrion repeatedly declared the smartest man in the world for endlessly droning cod Shakespearean banalities.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Clickbait shite.

It doesn't even take into consideration that a large part of the show was set at the wall with the nights watch and during times of war. Blindingly obvious that there's not many lassies kicking about there.

There's even a graph in there that shows 4 of the top 7 speaking roles were female.

I mean, is anyone really surprised that a show, for all intents and purposes, set in medieval Britain/Europe, is based on a patriarchal society. Chuck in themes of incest, rape etc. and I'm shocked that it's going to appear that women are getting a bit of a raw deal.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I think all of those have been ruled out. Martin was specifically asked about the first two and said no.

Which is a shame as they're probably the easiest to write and make and would be most recognisable to fans of the show.

The other two i mentioned would probably be very CGI heavy and expensive.

Yeah, it’s set 5000 years beforehand.

It’s all about the origin of the night king and why the children of the forest decided it was necessary. Also involved Bran the builder and the origin of the Lannister family.

Considering some people’s comments on the general lack of story line about the night king and his back story etc it should be well worth a watch for a lot of folk.

That actually might be quite good, as long as they sack the writers from series 8 and hire significantly better actors in the lead roles.