Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

Tyrion: Bran will make a wise and measured ruler for the good of the realm.

Bran: I'm leaving this meeting after less than a minute to play hide and seek with a dragon. You can sort this mess amongst yourselves.

Arya's entire story ending with her going on an adventure with the justification that "no one knows what's West of  Westeros" when Bran - her brother sitting a foot away from her - has the power to KNOW FUCKING EVERYTHING is a pretty good summation of the writing for season 8, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

There were some good bits in the finale, there were  some astonishingly stupid bits (you could have had a full episode on its own of the fall out of Jon's Queenslaying...nah, we'll just brush straight past it to weeks later). I didn't dislike it, I didn't like it, was the dictionary definition of meh, which is maybe even worse than if it was just utter shite. Shame.

Also, last night served as a reminder that Peter Dinklage was the stand out actor of the series, imo. Especially for this scene back in season 4.

Did anyone else think the finale was also really fucking dull?

After Jon offed Dany I’m struggling to think of anything that actually happened besides deciding who the new King should be.

56 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Arya's entire story ending with her going on an adventure with the justification that "no one knows what's West of  Westeros" when Bran - her brother sitting a foot away from her - has the power to KNOW FUCKING EVERYTHING is a pretty good summation of the writing for season 8, IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Well not quite. Bran knows everything that's happened, but if no one has ever been West of Westeros, he can't know that, surely? 

1 hour ago, Sooky said:

Also, last night served as a reminder that Peter Dinklage was the stand out actor of the series, imo. Especially for this scene back in season 4.

That scene reminds me of how badly his role has fallen off.  And indeed, perhaps not coincidentally, the show itself has fallen off.

Given the CGI-over-plot final series, and given that the writers took the very obvious way out with Dany, I thought the final episode was as good as I could have expected.    In the scale of the entire show, well below par.  As regards this series, one of the more involving episodes.

Edit: I finished watching it ten minutes ago, and there's something that's been nagging at me all the time.  I've just worked out what it was.  There's absolutely no way that Samwell would have just let that happen to Jon.  Even if he couldn't have prevented it, he'd clearly have gone with Jon, or offered him some kind of redemption.    The storywriters really did phone in parts of this last series, didn't they?

Edited by Savage Henry

51 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

Well not quite. Bran knows everything that's happened, but if no one has ever been West of Westeros, he can't know that, surely? 

He also has the ability to perceive the future, so arguably he could know how Arya's expedition will work out. Which I guess also means he knew Dany would torch King's Landing and decided not to tell anyone about it and just let it play out so he could end up being king. What a creepy b*****d.

Edited by MSU

I should probably be surprised that we have no idea where Drogon went with Dany’s body but with the way this season has planned out I’m not surprised they just left it as it was.

56 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Edit: I finished watching it ten minutes ago, and there's something that's been nagging at me all the time.  I've just worked out what it was.  There's absolutely no way that Samwell would have just let that happen to Jon.  Even if he couldn't have prevented it, he'd clearly have gone with Jon, or offered him some kind of redemption.    The storywriters really did phone in parts of this last series, didn't they?

The bit that bugged me was "Why send Jon to the Night's Watch at all?" It doesn't exist anymore and even if he was being given the task of rebuilding it...why? Who's the threat? Guarding the realms of men is all fine and well but if that's the case, are they not just a northern division of the Territorial Army? Practice with your swords, stay in trim and if for some reason we ever need you to fight, we'll let you know. And by the way, there's no reason to assume it will be near the wall so you may have to travel to where the action is.

Yes, I get that he was being exiled as a way of avoiding a war by appeasing-but-not-really Grey Worm who wanted him dead, and the family Stark who wanted him freed. As far as I could tell though, all they cared about was that he went "Far from here."  It would've made more sense if they'd just said "f**k off and live with the wildlings and don't come back." He could then spend the rest of his days getting hammered with Tormund and begging wildling ladies to wear a red wig and answer to "Ygritte".

And good luck to him. 

Edited by Shotgun

Feel a little let down by the lack of big name deaths at the end tbh. Was half expecting the unsullied to appear from around every corner and kill folk. Even at the end when the cameras split three ways.

Even a wee sly smile from Tyrion when he sat in the Hand’s seat after rearranging the chairs would have been good.