Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

7 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Only thing that burnt my knickers was the fact that the dragon could lay waste to buildings with its fire breath.  But oor John could just duck behind a wall in episode 3 and be fine.

Yes, because half of Viserions face and neck were missing.

If Jon really is Azor Ahai and will bring light when there is darkness to wake dragons from stone - then I predict this.

It will end how it all began - Kings Landing vs The North. Jon vs Dany. Jon will awake a dragon and then the episode will end suggesting there will be another season/sequel/film. There’s yer dinner.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If Jon really is Azor Ahai and will bring light when there is darkness to wake dragons from stone - then I predict this.

It will end how it all began - Kings Landing vs The North. Jon vs Dany. Jon will awake a dragon and then the episode will end suggesting there will be another season/sequel/film. There’s yer dinner.

This might happen but worth remembering Azor Ahai is barely a show thing other than Mel mentioning it briefly in a season opener in series two.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes it is. There's been mental things happen but they've all made sense in a way (in the context of the show).

Okay, clearly they aren't going to kill Jon Snow off-screen or anything like that.

Don't be surprised if there's some daft expectation-subverting ending, though. It'd be about time Bran actually did something anyway.

Edited by DC92

Nearly finished season one now but my pal was watching last nights episode so I thought i would just see what's happening,  loads of characters i didn't recognise but good to see some proper action, looking forward to the rest now 

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Just went back and rewatched the last bit, are we saying this is Jon's sword? 

IMG_20190513_203848.thumb.jpg.5fca1928587d2c4d0e5641f4ee4ce1d1.jpg

I thought it looked like his sword as well at the time but just saw a video that showed the wee girl that Arya was trying to save had a toy horse in her hand. It must be that. 

Edited by Eric
Add link

On 11/05/2019 at 22:54, dorlomin said:
2 episodes to go an my thoughts are thank you. 
I grew up with "epic fantasy" and all the schmaltz that can entail.
Tolkein, Dragon Lance, Donaldson, Wheel of Time and Belgariad. 
Perhaps there is something of "with a whimper than a bang" about it but it gave me the ubermensch that is Sandor and his patter. Ygritte and her FU Westerosi polite society, Arya who had something like a 6 season 80s training montage to become the most skilled "Mary Sue" in the history of misunderstood memes, Bronn being Bronn. Lena Heady just owning the screen with imperious majesty. Tyrion and Samwell being the bookwankers we all wanted to be. So many epic characters and scenes. 
Thank you. 
What a fucking journey. What a ride. 
It has not been flawless but it has been incredible fun. 
What a pleasure it has been. 

sorry "greenied" this in error, an appaling post

3 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Reading up on the post episode discussion i completely missed while watching it that Varys was trying to poison Dany at the beginning with help of the kitchen girl.

Evidently so did I. 

2 hours ago, killieshire said:

The biggest bit of nonsense about that episode is some of the rubbish written in this thread. Think some of you must have slept through half the series as the episode fulfilled many of the series major acts very well.

In season 1 we saw Arya hate ‘The Hound’ for the death of her friend on the way to Kings Landing. She then lost her Father and has spent the remaining seasons being driven by revenge, being trained to be a killing machine. He’s always been dehumanised by being referred to as The Hound, a monster that was created by his truly evil brother, that really wasn’t a monster. When he makes her leave and she then calls him Sandro, the only time in the whole show someone calls him by his real first name, it fulfils the surrogate Father/ daughter role they have had. Great pay off.

We then get the fulfilment of the Clegane brothers. The Mountain is a true monster now. A nice little nod to his most eye watering (popping) scene. Followed by a death where it started for them, in fire. Again another great ending to that arc.

As for Jamie and Cersei. He’s shown through the entire thing that he loves her and would do anything for her (through a child out a tower, Roger his hand chopped off just to get back to her, give up the one decent person who saw the good in him, etc..). As for Cersei she has only wanted to ever protect her children and saw power as the way to do this. For them to die with Jamie wrapping his arms around her in a protective fashion, though there is nothing he can do to stop the inevitable,  with her comment on protecting their child is the relationship in a nutshell.

Dany is the inbred daughter of the Mad King. Raised under the cruel hand of her brother. Used and abused. Has then done some frankly cruel things in the name of her own cause, though has been tempered at times into doing some good. Had a husband and unborn child die. Has seen 2 of her only true friends die in short order. Lost 2 of 3 of her dragon children. The only real thing she has left, bar a big dragon, is being the Queen. Unfortunately her lover turns out to be a family member with a better claim, more popularity and not a penchant for incest. Attacking a place she associates with almost everything that has went bad in her world. Not as much of a jump that she is has lost it.

Varys also dies due to whispers at the hand of dragon, having been responsible for sending many people to a similar death (burning) with the Mad King.

On top of that we get some good action. A good death for Euron. Arya seeing the horror inflicted and if I was betting man the person to kill Dany.

Great episode.

Aye I enjoyed it. 

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:
1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

^^^ rattled

In all seriousness, I was entertained by most of it but it was very rushed.

The idea that Dany turns baddie by the end is absolutely fine but she was still on the good side at the start of episode 4 and she’s committing mass genocide by episode 5. That’s a massive leap.

There's more than one video doing the rounds. When you put them all together it doesn't look good for D&D. The actors are clearly pissed with how it's played out.

To the first post, so agreed. 

One post in between those battles just isn't enough. 

What videos are those out of interest? 

23 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Genuinely looks a bit like a nazi parade. 

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

Also was the horse Arya got on not the same one as the one the guy from the golden company was on at the start?

or is it just a different white horse?

Nah, that horse got cut in half when Danny burst the wall. 

When Varys and Dany first met they had a long conversation where she explained what would happen to him if he betrayed her, namely burning him alive, which he agreed with. Then the mad bugger actually goes and does it without hesitation. Selfless or stupid.

Can also put me down for not realising Varys was trying to poison her. Probably because he’s been built up to be sneaky and smooth and that would be an odd move from him.

I think they’ve wildly over estimated how involved people were in who actually sits on the throne. Dealing with the Night King was infinitely more intriguing.

9 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Can also put me down for not realising Varys was trying to poison her. Probably because he’s been built up to be sneaky and smooth and that would be an odd move from him.

I think they’ve wildly over estimated how involved people were in who actually sits on the throne. Dealing with the Night King was infinitely more intriguing.

I’m the opposite tbh. The best schemers have gone together with a lot of the most interesting characters but people scheming is more interesting than a motivationless zombie apocalypse.

Edited by The OP