Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

I don't know what to make of that. Very unsatisfying death for Cerci. Everyone is raving about Clegain bowl but I thought it felt lacking. I like Danny going mad, but they way it has happened doesn't sit right with me for some reason but I can't put my finger on why. 

This season feels like there has been a lot of filler but then main points have been brushed over or rushed.

What was the point in Bronn? 

Kind of obvious Danny dies now. How really is the question now. I think Danny will execute Tyrion. Have a feeling Jon won't make it either, maybe in a suicide move to end the blood line and split the kingdom's. 

From next week's trailer, where the f**k did all those unsullied come from? There were maybe 100 or so left, but from that it looks like they were at full strength again, do they multiply with water? 

I have defended this season for the most part but last night let me down I feel. Hope for better for the final episode but I think I might have built it up too much in my head that they simply can't meet my expectations. 

I thought that was alright. Certainly better than the last two weeks but still not anywhere near the standard set in episode 2.

I actually think where we are now would've been quite satisfying if the story had been given more time to breath but rushing the Night King angle and then just making the final battle a massacre has done an otherwise amazing show a bit of a disservice. 

Lena Headey is the best actor on the show by a considerable distance IMO. She had me feeling sorry for Cersei who, even by game of thrones standards, is quite a despicable character.

The last half an hour or so was a pretty harrowing watch. 8 seasons of building up Dany as a saviour followed by her slow descent into madness and then eventual heel turn was quite something.

On 5/10/2019 at 22:31, LongTimeLurker said:

...Hopefully they have the courage to kill off major characters and do something genuinely bittersweet rather than going totally Hollywood. No more than one of Danerys, Jon Snow and Cersei should make it through to the end of the series and to really make the statement that dynastic wars are a mug's game given GRRM was a pacifist in the Vietnam war era it should be none.

Time for one of the proles to step forth and usher in the Revolution and break the wheel forever by creating a workers and peasants state. Enter Gendry stage left with Varys Tyrion as his Erich Mielke...

Thought Episode 5 was quite decent (and definitely way better than Episode 3) and sets things up quite nicely for a closing statement that none of them deserve the throne because the entire feudal system was irredeemably flawed  and led to ruler after ruler who may have had good intentions at one point ultimately flipping their lid and turning psycho, which is probably not what a large portion of the tits and dragons brigade will want but is the logical end point of all the world building that has been done.

Despite the above modified quote I think Tyrion is toast (literally) at this point for freeing Jaime and his incineration by Drogon will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for all of Danerys's remaining Westerosi followers with Arya eventually offing her after she puts the wheels in motion for Sansa's excecution, while Jon dispatches Drogon. Jon winds up with Ghost up North doing an Aemon Targeryen by rejecting the throne and something different and slightly more democratic will follow. Bronn won't get his castle, Bran will be quietly trundled out to somewhere in the middle of a weirwood and forgotten about and armies led in declining order of probability by Jon/Gendry/Davos/Yara/Edmure/Sweet Robin/the unnamed Dorne dude/Hot Pie will have to deal with the remaining Dothraki in some way possibly with help from the remaining Unsullied.

The closing scene will hint at the White Walkers eventually coming back...

Put it this way, something mental has to happen, there is no way they’ll just have the last dragon attack the ships at a different angle and wipe them out, the build up to it would be pretty pointless really! Also I very much doubt they would show you a clip in the trailer of Euron’s facial expression changing if it was that dragon attacking when he’s been sitting waiting on it anyway, if anything he would have a big cheeser on his face!

Can’t stop laughing at this actually happening. Think nothing basically changing and Cersei’s army getting absolutely wiped out regardless might be a nadir in the show’s writing which is a shame because I actually really enjoyed this episode. Daenerys’s heel turn has been telegraphed for weeks but it was still satisfying watching her and Drogon levelling King’s Landing and thousands of innocents with it. There doesn’t have to be a surprise for it to be good and I enjoyed that. The stuff with Arya on the ground was fine as it underlined how evil an act it was.

I’m as certain as I can be that Cersei is dead. She died vaguely sympathetically to further cement Daenerys’s heel turn and Jaime got the send off he broadly deserves. He’s had a redemption arc but, as he highlighted last week, he’s done enough bad shit that he can’t be fully redeemed and he died because of his love for his sister overriding everything else.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Can’t stop laughing at this actually happening. Think nothing basically changing and Cersei’s army getting absolutely wiped out regardless might be a nadir in the show’s writing which is a shame because I actually really enjoyed this episode. Daenerys’s heel turn has been telegraphed for weeks but it was still satisfying watching her and Drogon levelling King’s Landing and thousands of innocents with it. There doesn’t have to be a surprise for it to be good and I enjoyed that. The stuff with Arya on the ground was fine as it underlined how evil an act it was.

I just assumed that the reason they had so much success the first time was that Daenerys didn't realise they had the dragon weapons (Scorpions? Can't remember what they are called) on the ships, so was totally caught off guard. Once she realised that, she knew she had to be more careful(prepared to avoid incoming arrows) when attacking the next time.

Really enjoyed the episode, was great entertainment

Edited by alang1993

1 hour ago, alang1993 said:

I just assumed that the reason they had so much success the first time was that Daenerys didn't realise they had the dragon weapons (Scorpions? Can't remember what they are called) on the ships, so was totally caught off guard. Once she realised that, she knew she had to be more careful(prepared to avoid incoming arrows) when attacking the next time.

Really enjoyed the episode, was great entertainment

It was the Iron Fleet that Dons'd it here. Diddies.

Absolutely delighted that we finally got Cleganebowl. Thought that was the highlight of the episode.

Overall, the episoe was a bit ropey in places and wasn't the best episode this season but I don't give a f**k as I still enjoyed it. Qyburn getting his jotters like that was very pleasing.

Can't believe it's the last one next week.

Edited by The Naitch

1 hour ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Why didn't Daenerys just head straight to the Red Keep to destroy it after the bells rang? Didn't make any sense.

She just lost it completely and wanted to burn them all I reckon.

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:

Danny has to go..... she's lost the plot. After that display I think she has lost Jon. Thought at one point Jon and grey worm were going to kick off.

Had to feel for Cersei in the end,

That was maybe what annoyed me the most — the show dehumanized Dany while attempting to humanize Cersei in this Bitches Be Crazy style ending. Talking of which, it was hilarious seeing Cersei tip toe past The Hound on the staircase.

I quite enjoyed it while it was on, but unlike so many of the earlier episodes, I don't imagine I'll bother watching it a second time.

Some thoughts...

I genuinely hadn't realised that was the end of Jaime and Cersei and really, feel quite let down reading it this morning. That said; it's a testament to Lena Headey's acting that despite everything she's done over the years, so many of us were feeling sympathy as her world literally collapsed. Or maybe it's just because she's a wid.

Tyrion has apologised for an awful lot of mistakes since being in Dany's employ and yet, he's only now on his final verbal warning. A lot of other characters have been fired with prejudice despite better job performances than his.  

Varys for one. I'm not sure his betrayal was any worse than Tyrion's yet he was toasted for it. It'll be interesting to know who he was writing to at the beginning though. I suspect that would be significant.

Did I miss what it was Tyrion asked Davos to smuggle? Or do we not know yet?

Also, was there any significance to Nora the peasant wumman? She seemed get a lot of screen time for 'one of the crowd' and Arya made a point of trying to help her specifically.

OK - who do we think will still be around this time next week?

I'm inclined to think we've seen the last of Brienne, Sam & Gilly, Bronn, Gendry, Yara, Daario, Jaqen, Meera, Pod, Robin, Hot Pie & Tormund, at least in any meaningful, plot related role. Bronn might show up to claim his castle from Tyrion but I think we've said goodbye to the rest.

Which leaves us with Jon, Arya, Sansa, Tyrion, Dany, Grey Worm, Bran, & Davos. I'd be surprised if someone (Arya and/or Jon probably) doesn't off Dany now she's gone full hatstand. And I'd be more than happy to see someone drop a plugged-in toaster into Grey Worm's bath. But, given the number of times we've been warned about expecting a happy ending (fnarr), you have to think at least some of those listed will be getting less screen time than others.

With the qualifier that I've been wrong about most things so far; my predictions then, for last character standing.

Arya
Tyrion and his wife Stansa.
Grey Worm
Bran

Thoughts? 

Edited by Shotgun