Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I mean it's a show that has Arya wearing people's faces as part of a magic ninja assassin order. Complaining that she can jump a bit higher than normal seems a bit redundant at this point.

But none of that nonsense happened in first three series. It's changed the goalposts as its went along.

I've watched a few Hong Kong kung fu movies where female heroines can fly and defeat hundreds of men. But I can accept that particular element of fantasy as these films establish the logic of that kind of thing and stick to it. Likewise the Bride character in Kill Bill taking on the Crazy 88. 

Just now, LeeVanTeeth said:

But none of that nonsense happened in first three series. It's changed the goalposts as its went along.

I've watched a few Hong Kong kung fu movies where female heroines can fly and defeat hundreds of men. But I can accept that particular element of fantasy as these films establish the logic of that kind of thing and stick to it. Likewise the Bride character in Kill Bill taking on the Crazy 88. 

jaqen h'ghar was switching faces and killing people in unrealistic ways in Harrenhal in season 2.

Does sound like you're only getting upset because it's a woman doing it now.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Daario new prince of Dorne? I'm stunned they've mentioned Dorne at all, given their force was apparently smashed up with Yara's fleet.

Why would Dorne let Daario be their new prince?! Why would Daario go to Dorne at all? Would be some call if it happened but can't see it. Makes zero sense.

Also the only folk from Dorne with Yara's fleet were Ellaria and her daughters. Why would they have taken their entire army to Dragonstone for a meeting? They wouldn't, and they didn't. Yara was going to Dorne with Ellaria so they could raise an army.

I'm sure it was established that their army was on the fleet of ships. Also there was a power vacuum there and it's far too late to establish a new character there.
The fact they have dropped in the new prince it wouldn't surprise me if Dorme swoop in and save the day vale of knights style.

Can't mind if it's been mentioned in the TV series, but pretty sure it was alluded to in the books that a dragon resided within Dragonstone.

Melisandre hinted about the Dragonstone dragon: “When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone.”

Smoke = from flaming wreckage
Salt = sea water
Azor Ahai = Aegon Targaryen

I’d love this to happen somehow. I want to see Azor rise.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm sure it was established that their army was on the fleet of ships. Also there was a power vacuum there and it's far too late to establish a new character there.

It wasn't. Why would they take the Dornish army to Dragonstone only to then take them back to Dorne?

Edited by DA Baracus

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:55, LeeVanTeeth said:

Aye, I was going to make a post about how the dragons don't look realistic but then I remembered that I wasn't a professional CGI artist, so have absolutely no right to make a comment like that.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:25, DiegoDiego said:

Don't worry, I'm a professional dragon wrangler and can confirm that they are unrealistic.

The Gendry/Arya scene did seem a bit last train to noncentral. I was expecting Gendry to say "What the f**k Arya, you're a child."

Heard that the rumoured increase in Dragonage was brought on by a threatened strike by the wranglers, over proposed redundancy terms; could you confirm if they were as unrealistic as the previous efforts at CGI Dragons?

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

They didn't. They were going to take them to Casterly Rock but got ambushed by Euron. I didn't think it was just the Iron born.

Watch it again 

Think if an extra army is going to appear by ship it will be because Yara shows up with her faction of the Ironborn to deal with Euron. An army from Dorne is closer to King's Landing than one from Winterfell, so no obvious reason why they couldn't attempt to march there as well after the pro-Cersei forces in the Reach got incinerated last season.

Have to say though that it could be Airdrie's Section B at this point for all the sense the plot is making if you think too deeply about it. I guess there's a reason the books are taking so long and it's because GRRM probably painted himself into a bit of a corner in literary terms by launching way too many diverging subplots, so there is no easy way to tie it all together again in a satisfying way.

Hopefully they have the courage to kill off major characters and do something genuinely bittersweet rather than going totally Hollywood. No more than one of Danerys, Jon Snow and Cersei should make it through to the end of the series and to really make the statement that dynastic wars are a mug's game given GRRM was a pacifist in the Vietnam war era it should be none.

Time for one of the proles to step forth and usher in the Revolution and break the wheel forever by creating a workers and peasants state. Enter Gendry stage left with Varys as his Erich Mielke...

10 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Have to say though that it could be Airdrie's Section B at this point for all the sense the plot is making if you think too deeply about it. 

I did see a spoiler on Reddit where Kings Landing United get their cross bar snapped. 

44 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Mate was telling me there is a theory that Yara has the power to raise a Kraken from the sea emoji23.png

:lol: that's superb.

What? I'm moaning that any possible tension in those scenes was ruined by the fact it was happening so often. Theres genuinely about 7 incidences of someone just about dying but being saved at the final second in that episode. You could have a decent drinking game having a drink every time someone almost dies.
Spoiler

Sam almost dies, saved just in time by Nights Watch guy.
Melisandre almost dies but lights fire, just in time.
Jon almost overwhelmed by army but Dany appears just in time.
Dany almost overwhelmed by saved by Jorah, just in time.
Ayra almost dies but saved by Beric, just in time.
Sure theres at least one scene where either Jamie and Brienne manage to save the other from being stabbed in the back, just in time. Think Beric/Hound had a similar scene too, but I could be wrong with those two.
Of course at the end literally all the major players are about to die, but Ayra kills the NK which saves them all, just in time.
I can stomach it once or twice, but it was overkill, just feels so cheap when they use that trope to build tension.

In a battle many people will narrowly avoided death many times. I thought this much was pretty obvious.

2 episodes to go an my thoughts are thank you. 
I grew up with "epic fantasy" and all the schmaltz that can entail.
Tolkein, Dragon Lance, Donaldson, Wheel of Time and Belgariad. 
Perhaps there is something of "with a whimper than a bang" about it but it gave me the ubermensch that is Sandor and his patter. Ygritte and her FU Westerosi polite society, Arya who had something like a 6 season 80s training montage to become the most skilled "Mary Sue" in the history of misunderstood memes, Bronn being Bronn. Lena Heady just owning the screen with imperious majesty. Tyrion and Samwell being the bookwankers we all wanted to be. So many epic characters and scenes. 
Thank you. 
What a fucking journey. What a ride. 
It has not been flawless but it has been incredible fun. 
What a pleasure it has been. 

4 hours ago, dorlomin said:
2 episodes to go an my thoughts are thank you. 
I grew up with "epic fantasy" and all the schmaltz that can entail.
Tolkein, Dragon Lance, Donaldson, Wheel of Time and Belgariad. 
Perhaps there is something of "with a whimper than a bang" about it but it gave me the ubermensch that is Sandor and his patter. Ygritte and her FU Westerosi polite society, Arya who had something like a 6 season 80s training montage to become the most skilled "Mary Sue" in the history of misunderstood memes, Bronn being Bronn. Lena Heady just owning the screen with imperious majesty. Tyrion and Samwell being the bookwankers we all wanted to be. So many epic characters and scenes. 
Thank you. 
What a fucking journey. What a ride. 
It has not been flawless but it has been incredible fun. 
What a pleasure it has been. 

Simmer.